Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #1

New hybrid camper

My wife and I have just purchased a 2014 roo 21ss and will be taking delivery this Wednesday. We have been tent camping for over 30 years mainly in the smoky and blue ridge mountains of North Carolina. I am so looking forward to not having to string up a 30' tarp so we can have a dry place to cook and play cards!

I've been reading the posts on this forum for a while now. The information has my head swimming with possibilities and I haven't set foot in the trailer yet! I would like to continue posting as we progress through this evolution. Just like all the previous post here helped my wife and I to make our decisions I hope our posts will help people make their decisions as well.

I hate to open old wounds with a topic that seems to get emotional but I have a question about "seasoning" the bunk ends. With our tents I always used a seam sealer on all the seams and every other year or so would use camp dry or a similar product on the fabric itself. Never had a problem to speak of and buddy we have been through some bad storms! The manuals say to soak the tents and let dry completely and repeat the process several times. Then to use candle wax on the seams. So here is the question. Has anybody tried the commercially available seam sealers?
perryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #2

Congratulations on the new camper - bet it won't take long until you have that "how did we ever camp in a tent?" conversation. We started with a tent, then a popup, now the Roo. We had a lot of great trips, but don't think we could go back...

Anyhow, on the tent ends. I would suggest just seasoning them with water to start with. I have seen some threads here where people have had leaks, but ours has been out in a lot of rain with no issues. The canvas should (key word - should) not leak after the threads swell. If a after a few wettings, you are getting any water through the seems, then look for a sealer. Also, I would ask at the dealership and get their opinion. If they sell hybrids regularly they should be able to give you a recomendation on whether or not you need sealant and what to use.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Site Team

some hybrid owners, being former tenters, use the regular seam sealer, AFTER they've done the seasoning procedure, just as a precaution.

we were former tenters but never had to use seam sealer on our brand new Roo, back in 2006.

IMHO, seam sealer is an option AFTER you've seasoned the tent ends and you still detect leaks along the seams.

in my 8 years of being on a variety of Hybrid forums, condensation is the actual issue more than the seams leaking.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #4

Bought our 21ss in the spring and love it. The bunk end material is not like any tent I have ever seen nor is it the canvas that our pop up was made of. It's a heavy vinyl material that shouldnt need any treatment.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #5

Seam sealer

Thanks for the input from everyone. We have a lot to learn, no doubt, but that should be part of the fun.

Condensation can be a problem in tents as well but the alternatives to deal with it are limited. You can only vent so much in a tent and keep the rain out!. We will follow the manual to the letter and let yall know how it goes.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

I was an experienced tent camper and backpacker in my younger days. I was all ready to seam grip my canvas bunk ends...because that's just what you do when you get a tent. Especially when I looked at the canvas on my new camper and could see light coming through where the thread holes where.

I was very skeptical, but went ahead and just followed the guidance for "seasoning" - wet it up with a garden hose and let the thread swell.

I have never had a leak. I camped near Mt Mitchell in NC this July 4th when it rained non-stop for 10 days. Never a drop came in my camper. Rock solid and dry.

2013 Rockwood Roo 183L
2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax
olwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

Congrats on the Roo!
I still have not "seasoned" mine....I'm a bad boy.......
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryc View Post
Thanks for the input from everyone. We have a lot to learn, no doubt, but that should be part of the fun.

Condensation can be a problem in tents as well but the alternatives to deal with it are limited. You can only vent so much in a tent and keep the rain out!. We will follow the manual to the letter and let yall know how it goes.
condensation is a good point and an issue with hybrids as well. Once you've seasoned the tent-ends and are certain that they do not leak. Don't be surprised if moisture appears on the bed ends, probably condensation and no need to panic and think the tent is leaking.

enjoy!

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #9

Using solar panels like those from Popup Gizmos can help cut down on the condensation on the inside of the bunk ends. At least, it helped a lot in my pop-up.

Congrats on the new Roo, BTW! I purchased a 2013 Roo 21SS back in September. That was an upgrade from camping in a pop-up for the last 11 years. And that was after tent camping for about 5 years. I've only taken two trips in the Roo so far, but I really love it! The PUP was great - once it was set up. But set-up & take down could be a real PITA. And it was a bit improvement over the tent. With the Roo, I have definitely learned to appreciate indoor plumbing! LOL!

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #10

Another BTW...if you camp a lot in Western NC, I highly recommend Four Paws Kingdom Campground in Rutherfordton, NC. It's not far from Lake Lure & Chimney Rock. It's especially nice if you have a dog, since they cater to people who camp with their dogs. I've been camping there since 2008 and love it. Four Paws Kingdom - The best kept secret for Camping with your Dog!

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #11

Our new camper

We have received our camper from rv wholesalers in good shape. Only problems so far are the exhaust fan over the stove didn't work! The dealership set up a warranty appointment and we got her fixed right up. Well not right up, it took two weeks. Seems the biggest holdup was getting warranty approval from forest river. Not a biggy in December but could be aggravating as it warms up! Small price to pay for the initial savings imho.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMarrs View Post
Another BTW...if you camp a lot in Western NC, I highly recommend Four Paws Kingdom Campground in Rutherfordton, NC. It's not far from Lake Lure & Chimney Rock. It's especially nice if you have a dog, since they cater to people who camp with their dogs. I've been camping there since 2008 and love it. Four Paws Kingdom - The best kept secret for Camping with your Dog!
I second the motion on Four Paws. Also, Mama Gertie's Hideaway in Swannanoa is another great place with quick, easy access to both Black Mountain and Asheville.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryc View Post
The dealership set up a warranty appointment and we got her fixed right up. Well not right up, it took two weeks. Seems the biggest holdup was getting warranty approval from forest river. Not a biggy in December but could be aggravating as it warms up!.
Over the years, we've dealt with 3 different dealerships that were really good - two of those we had bought from, and then we dealt with one that was beyond lousy, but regardless, the one thing we found everytime is that RV service work is not usually quick. The good shops seem to go far out of their way to help out with break-downs that happen to people while traveling, but just regular repair work usually involves delays for warranty approval or for ordering parts, and it usually takes a while between the time you call for an appointment and when they can actaully get to it.

We have tried to save our service work for the off-season whenever possible to avoid the hastle of trying to get in and out during busy times.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #14

Rockwood Roo 23SS tire covers

I'm sorry, I am new to this site, and cannot figure out how to start a new thread.

Hoping someone can help me. We just bought a 2013 23SS and would like to buy tire covers. Our tires are ST205/75R14. Does anyone know what kind of tire covers and what size to buy? Also, do you recommend covering the entire unit? I'm seeing mixed reviews on whether to cover the entire camper or not.

Any help would GREATLY appreciated!
july304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #15

tire covers for rv tires - Walmart.com co

Tire Size Charts

Got mine there, looks good and so far they have stayed on.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #16
Site Team

July, Harbor Freight also has them.

as to starting a new thread, it's very simple.

simply pick which section/sub-forum you wish to start a thread in.
then at the top left of the threads list section, is a dark green button that says "New Thread" and it has a ink pen and paper in the button's left side. click on that and a "Post New Thread" box will popup. put in what you want it titled and then type in your post.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #17

July, I got mine for my 23IKSS at Camping World they fit very well. Here's a link:
Tandem Tyre Gards 27"-29" Double White - ADCO 3923 - Tire Covers - Camping World
CA62Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by july304 View Post
Also, do you recommend covering the entire unit? I'm seeing mixed reviews on whether to cover the entire camper or not.
If your camper is going to be in storage for a long time, like it is in snow country, covering it is the way to go, I think. The big benefits are UV protection to reduce fading and it will help keep the trailer cleaner. Its a fair amount of work to put on and take off, so if you are in a climate where you can use it year-round, it may not be worth it. But for longer term storage, a good cover can keep your trailer looking good and help it hold its value over time.

Tags
camper, hybrid