Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #1

New hybrid model 23ws

Just saw a video walk through of the new 2016 23ws. Haylett rv youtube. Check it out! Wish it was availibility last year appears they shower has doors and the back bed is a master sweet. Nice!
1st timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #2

Scratch it I see it's already been posted. But I do like the bathroom with additional storage. Also I like the 23ss floor plan. And nothing wrong with being able to close the door and have adult time with the bunk fans running. Wink wink nod nod. Lol.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #3

Great find...great video. I am simultaneously in love and in hate with it. I could probably work around the lack of a pantry by using the cabinets. I love the bathroom and I love that changing area and privacy of the "master bedroom". At the same time, those 2 doors look like they would constantly be banging into each other, and as often as I need to get up at night to..ummmm...check on things....that bed looks downright impossible to get in and out of.

Love, and hate.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #4

Wow that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing! Pretty neat model. My wife wants a shower like that. Our 233s shower is about the only thing we don't really like on our TT.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Can you link that walk through?
I only found a 23SS one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #6

Here you go::

HaylettRV.com - 2016 Rockwood Roo 23WS Hybrid Ult…: https://youtu.be/v3KyI2zZrMI

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #7

Hmm, i see shower mod for my "ickies"
Old 07-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #8

Wow, that guy is a salesman. Nice layout tho.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #9

They have done so many roo videos...every time I watched one I would have bets with myself on how long it would take before gold chain man would start pounding on things. Every video, if it is flat...he is gonna pound it. Walls, ceilings, cupboards, tv's.

I hope someday there is a blooper video where he announces "rockwood construction" and puts his fist through the wall. He does do a great job but if I shopped there I would ask for one that gold chain man hasn't punched around.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
They have done so many roo videos...every time I watched one I would have bets with myself on how long it would take before gold chain man would start pounding on things. Every video, if it is flat...he is gonna pound it. Walls, ceilings, cupboards, tv's.

I hope someday there is a blooper video where he announces "rockwood construction" and puts his fist through the wall. He does do a great job but if I shopped there I would ask for one that gold chain man hasn't punched around.
That's funny my wife and I laugh every time we watch him pound on all the surfaces. "It's a rockwood!" Lol I love it! Like you said love the videos great info but not sure I want to purchase one that's been beat up.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #11

Cool video. Like the shower, additional outside storage doors, and the new lighting system. Little more difficult to watch tv while the dw is fixing dinner though....
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #12

Jim... being in SE Michigan you're probably pretty close to Haylett's?

How do the color options and model year changes work? They must have built a bunch of these before the new colors were switched over to. The combination is no longer available. I have been waiting for pictures of the newer units to hit the dealers so that I can see what our ordered camper will look like with Aspen/Maple.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #13
Canadian Member

Very interesting. Here are my observations compared to the 23SS.

Pros:
- more storage than the 23SS
- much improved bathroom, shower looks more usable
- really like the new double row of LED interior lights but are there any switches on individual light fixtures so you don't have to have them all on at once?
- drawer in the cabinet beside the door; I think they borrowed the idea from a mod that a member of this forum did!
- external access doors to a couple cabinets on the curb side

Cons:
- location of entertainment system. They took away a great pantry cabinet; it's more likely to be damaged if you forget to secure it before bringing in the slideout; it's unusable from the sofa; highly likely to get dirty/greasy from the stove.
- door in rear is bad idea. Cuts off air circulation; gets in the way; a curtain would serve the purpose for privacy because that door is not sound-proof
- bench under the wardrobe slide is too narrow to be useful

For me, the entertainment system location is such a bad idea I'd stick with the 23SS. Too bad, because everything else is a net positive (but I'd get rid of the rear bedroom door).

I happen to like Joshua Winters' videos because they show you a lot more detail about the units than those 2-3 minute videos.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I happen to like Joshua Winters' videos because they show you a lot more detail about the units than those 2-3 minute videos.
Completely agree. He seems to have the most thorough walk-through video on YouTube. I think he likes to beat on campers though, as every video has him punching something.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldwood View Post
Completely agree. He seems to have the most thorough walk-through video on YouTube. I think he likes to beat on campers though, as every video has him punching something.
I agree he does the best vids! I bought my 23ss 4 months ago and still watch most vids he puts out.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldwood View Post
Jim... being in SE Michigan you're probably pretty close to Haylett's?

How do the color options and model year changes work? They must have built a bunch of these before the new colors were switched over to. The combination is no longer available. I have been waiting for pictures of the newer units to hit the dealers so that I can see what our ordered camper will look like with Aspen/Maple.
A couple of hours away. If I were to drive there, I'd likely just call FR for a factory tour, not that much farther, another hour or so. We did that in 2013 after we ordered our 23ss. It was nice to the different fabrics and color schemes up close.

Floorplan of the 23ws is nice but we're really enjoying the 23ss, it's usually just the two of us anyway. We would also miss the pantry. I think the 23ss has the same amount of storage as 23ss, but the two additional outside storage doors would have been nice. Nice but not enough to upgrade yet. Besides, I'd have to redo all my mods!
Old 07-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #17
Site Team

the biggest positive is the larger shower.
the biggest negative is the loss of that great little pantry.

since it's the two of us, we rarely use the back bed. so the wardrobe slide is not a positve nor the narrow skinny-butt padded bench.

the new entertainment center is also a negative for us. our 23SS is older so having the tv hooked into the cabinet by the door, works great for us. it's visible from all angles since it's freestanding, especially from the front bunk where we usually sleep.

the added outside storage doors are nice, but not enough to choose the 23WS over the 23SS.
as far as the rear door, i assume it has to have large gaps on the top and bottom, like the bathroom door.
so it may cut down some air circulation but it may not be a big deal.

it is nice to see FR continuing being the #1 hybrid manufacturer, especially in their innovative floorplans.
the 233, the 21SS, the 23SS, the 233S have all been copied by other companies.
i forsee the 23IKSS in being the next one you see copied.

other companies, like Jayco and Cub/Kodiak used to be the same way, especially Cub/Kodiak.
but not anymore.
FR is the only one in the past 9 years of hybrids, that continues to emphasize them and come up with innovative floorplans.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #18

We had been waiting to see the 23ws before we purchased a camper. Luckily this video was posted yesterday. Saw the vid, bought a 2016 23ss today. We love the layout of the 23ss. The bigger shower looks nice, but the "entertainment center", door, and loss of pantry were deal breakers. With a little tweaking, I think the 23ws will be great. It's just not there yet.
ROCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCAMPER View Post
We had been waiting to see the 23ws before we purchased a camper. Luckily this video was posted yesterday. Saw the vid, bought a 2016 23ss today. We love the layout of the 23ss. The bigger shower looks nice, but the "entertainment center", door, and loss of pantry were deal breakers. With a little tweaking, I think the 23ws will be great. It's just not there yet.
Congratulations on your new Roo and welcome to the forum from another Michigander!
Old 07-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #20

Congratulations!!!

When you pick up your Roo be sure to share pictures with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid, modifications