Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #21
jrfops

Congrats on new trailer. My wife spent yesterday lining the drawers of our new 2015 ROO IKSS. She just used contact paper. We couldn't believe how much stuff was in our old trailer. Garage sale time!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forest River Forums mobile app
jrfops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #22

I'm thinking the same thing about a garage sale! I love your pic, jrfops. Happy camping!
Family of 4: Hubby, me, 2 teenagers
1 Rat Terrier
duncmelsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #23

I put this liner in our cabinets and like it. I didn't think about the contact paper but I can imagine it would be a little tricky putting it down.

Enjoy your new unit, we love ours.

Bonnie
Richbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #24

We also used the easy grip liner in our new 23ss. Used it when we had our popup, kept stuff from sliding around. Two large rolls should do it. Congrats on the new Roo!

2014 Roo 23SS & 2013 GMC 4WD Crew
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #25
New to Forest River

a little off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrady View Post
Congrats! We have a 2015 23ikss and love it. This is the second season with it and can't wait till next week-end to get her out again!
We're thinking about buying one of these (or the 21ss). Downsizing from a MUCH larger trailer. Anything you could warn us about that you have to deal with, due to the size of the trailer? Things you just can't store in the trailer anywhere, design issues (just things you'd do different if you were designing), etc. ?

thanks
Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS
Mikedboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedboyd View Post
We're thinking about buying one of these (or the 21ss). Downsizing from a MUCH larger trailer. Anything you could warn us about that you have to deal with, due to the size of the trailer? Things you just can't store in the trailer anywhere, design issues (just things you'd do different if you were designing), etc. ?

thanks
All I can say is "You'll love it"
If I was designing it, I would do 2 things different.
1. Make the bathroom a bit larger; and
2. I would certainly put the water filter in a more accessible location. What a PIA to change. Thank God we don't have to do it that often.

So far those are the only 2 beefs I have about it. Aside from that, we love our unit.
Just saying

USMC - Semper Fi
Carlosrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:

thanks
you're downsizing from a bunkhouse model. are you sure that the 21SS or 23IKSS is a good idea, unless you no longer need the bunks anymore.
after all, both of these only offer the two RV queen beds, unless you choose to have to make up the dinette or sofa every nite.

second, seriously consider the pros and cons of the canvas ends, UNLESS you've had previous experience, like owning a popup.
most hybrid owners are former popup owners and move to the Gray Side, because they want less setup and more amenities BUT still want the canvas experience, even with the few cons.

if you've never had a trailer with canvas ends, you really need to look at whether you'll be able to deal with the issues that come with them.
many don't consider this and end up selling their new hybrid after one season.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbon View Post
BamaBob, how is it different with a 5th wheel since we can leave our Shamrock stocked and loaded, except in the winter?
Hi Bonnie!

Apologies for the reply delay - we were up in MI for father's Day and my forum time was a tad limited

First off, welcome to the forums and CONGRATULATIONS on your new rig!

My post was more tongue-in-cheek that a criticsm It seems no matter what, "the next big thing" comes around LOL! (thus my Berkshire comment!)

Quote:
We did like our pop up but it was the one night stands that did us in. It had A/C, heat, slide out dinette, hard sided bathroom and we loved the "windows" compared to trailers. It did have too many openings for those darn Georgia stink bugs last year! But, one night DH was hooking up and someone pulled in next to us and the guy hooked up electric, connected sewer and went in to have a beer while he was still hooking up! On the way home he said we were going trailer shopping. When I saw the unit with that island, it was a done deal!
Pretty much our experience as well. I see it as a series of stages we RV'ers go through.
1. Pop-Up Stage: O.M.G. We are off the ground and sleeping in a "real" bed! Go ahead, rain, sleet, snow, we are good to go in here at the small table with our small refer and chemical toilet! And we even got the show option, so there!

2. Pop-up Disillusionment Stage: See above, "small" and honey do you have to take a shower now...it sure steams up the place. (not to mention potty time is often OMG what IS that smell time!) - off to get a TT!

3. TT (Travel Trailer) Stage: Now THIS is living!! seperate bathroom *with VENT!* a "real" table and a "real" Refer and oh my but this bed is COMFY!

Truth be told, this is the last stage for a lot of people ...except those who entered TT Stage with Kids....

4. TT Disillusionment Stage. Honey the kids weigh too much for the fold down bunks OR the are not kids any more and have other interests/college. So what to do with all that "wasted" kid-oriented space in the TT? Oh and DW, I was with Tom the other day-we went and picked his 5er (5th Wheel) up and OMG you don't even notice you are towing ANYTHING [Immediate response from DW is oh, really, let's go to Tom's so I can have a checkride too! This fact alone usually motivates you to stage

5. 5er Stage. Often the final stage (especially since you are nearing retirement and want the damn thing free and clear before you leave work for the last time

6. MH (Motorhome) Envy Stage. Lots of folks avoid this by skipping the 5er Stage and going for the MH right away For those who don't, they start seeing all the nice things about MHs...Honey I don't want to stop right now, can you get me a cup of coffee and maybe a sandwich? AH, we are Here finally...It is late at night and I am not gonna bother hooking up tonight, hit the auto-levelors, electric shade for the windshield, switch over to inverter, turn on the TV and grab a beer.

Quote:
At least I learned how to tow a pop up before getting this larger unit and it made the transition easier. We have learned how to communicate when it comes to backing up....hand on bottom of wheel and him saying right or left works well. No major arguments, thank goodness.

How easy is it to fasten the Gizmos each time you open the bunk ends?

At least with this unit we can open front bunk and still be hooked up to the Explorer which is great for those one nighters.

Bonnie
Understand Bonnie. The tongue-in-cheek "stages" above outlines all that

We are not-quite at stage 6 now - we really REALLY like our 5er and we can tow it with a Ecoboost F150 and yeah it really IS like there is nothing behind us! No sway, no "hitchball bumping," Overnights are 'mo easier than yours (we can sleep on our full sized Queen bed without opening any of the slides).

It's all relative though But it DOES seem like there is a natural progression for us long time RVers and it seems to follow the stages listed above - with or without the associated attempt at humor

Bob
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you're downsizing from a bunkhouse model. are you sure that the 21SS or 23IKSS is a good idea, unless you no longer need the bunks anymore.
after all, both of these only offer the two RV queen beds, unless you choose to have to make up the dinette or sofa every nite.

second, seriously consider the pros and cons of the canvas ends, UNLESS you've had previous experience, like owning a popup.
most hybrid owners are former popup owners and move to the Gray Side, because they want less setup and more amenities BUT still want the canvas experience, even with the few cons.

if you've never had a trailer with canvas ends, you really need to look at whether you'll be able to deal with the issues that come with them.
X2! Also remember that Canvas ends will limit camping in Bear country (most prohibit them) With some Hybrids though you can still camp, you just have to stay "buttoned up."
Old 06-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncmelsmom View Post
I see this as an option that is not adhesive. It just doesn't seem so easy to wipe clean, but I can see the benefits of having things slide around. Does anyone use this or should I stick (hehe) with contact paper?

We lined all the cabinets and the drawers with that it does help and it comes right out for cleaning.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #31

Quote:

thanks
If you are downsizing, the only thing I can think of that would be a real concern is the shower. Its not real functional for adults. And the grey water holding tank is on the small side, but that is easily corrected with a portable tank. Especially with the 23IKSS, you pretty well have the same features as many larger trailers, just in a smaller unit. There is a little extra setup with the bunks - but you also get the benefit of being able unzip the canvas in nice weather.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #32
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

Thank you. We went from tent to popup to 31ft trailer to 36ft trailer and I'm just very tired of the bigger trailer (and weight and and and). Just us and 2 little dogs and the occasional guest, so the lack of bunks doesn't bother me. Giving up the nice outdoor kitchen (built in) is a bigger loss. Storage is also a concern, as the current unit has very good storage (full through side to side up front and under the bed), so all the lawn chairs, propane, what-nots, all pack in there real easy. Looking forward to smaller towing size and definitely looking forward to canvas bedroom again.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #33
New to Forest River

should I be concerned about all of the 'leakage' threads/comments in here? Are they hard to avoid on the front bunk in particular, or just a few folks with issues (which always happens on any topic) ?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
We lined all the cabinets and the drawers with that it does help and it comes right out for cleaning.
6 Actual swears by this stuff! Every cabinet in our 5er is lined with this stuff
Old 06-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #35
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
6 Actual swears by this stuff! Every cabinet in our 5er is lined with this stuff
x2 - we use it in all of our cabinets and place sheets between pans in our cabinets also.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #36

Quote:
should I be concerned about all of the 'leakage' threads/comments in here? Are they hard to avoid on the front bunk in particular, or just a few folks with issues (which always happens on any topic) ?
I'm into Season #3 - no leaks whatsoever at this point.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #37
jrfops

We went to pickup our new IKSS and front bunk was all wet (puddles). We walked away from deal and purchased another one. This one seems dry so far (2 weeks). The first one's rubber seal didn't look straight across the top. It dipped in the center. Dealer said they would fix, but we decided to walk away from deal.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forest River Forums mobile app
jrfops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
in my 8+ years of being a member of numerous Hybrid forums, IMHO it's the last one.
remember, many come to RV forums because they have issues or problems and are looking for help.

rare is it that someone comes to a RV forum to inform members that they DON'T have any issues or problems.
same thing goes for those who aren't having leakage issues. in the 7+ years we've owned our Roo 23SS, we've never had any leaks but i don't start threads bragging about it.
but i do state this, when there are threads claiming that all hybrids leak.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
X2! Also remember that Canvas ends will limit camping in Bear country (most prohibit them) With some Hybrids though you can still camp, you just have to stay "buttoned up."
again, you've posted the statement that "most prohibit them".
and again, i'm asking you to post which campgrounds you claim this is a policy at.

i've camped in Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Glacier, Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.

out of all of those, only ONE campground had a permanent ban on soft-sided campers and that was Fishing Bridge CG in Yellowstone.
all the other areas allowed soft-sided campers.