Old 02-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #11
Old Fella
We came down from a 32ft bunk house to a 23SS and absolutely love it, we're now camping and we enjoy the tent ends, raining or not. We're in our mid sixties and we look forward to camping more now than we did before.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Aussiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #12
Did you get any further on your purchase consideration of a 21BD? I haven't heard of any owners of that model but it seems like a great option.

RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #13
Welcome from Missouri. We looked at the 23ss but ended up with the 233s. We wanted the extra bed. I can't wait to camp in ours. Patiently waiting for Spring!

2015 Shamrock 233S
2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
jmh1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #14
Well we have not gone ANY further. As I spoke to my wife about it the very truth finally came out. She stated that she would not be comfortable sleeping under the canvas. She felt that safety from animal such as bears was an issue. She was also worried about the canvas being easy for a stranger to enter a hybrid. So with that statement I feel that my days of sleeping under canvas that isn't staked down is never going to happen.

I do appriciate all the info from this site. I was really looking forward to going back to a camping roots. Under canvas again.
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #15
Moderators' Assistant
Bmoore, sounds like your wife is looking for an excuse not to get a hybrid.
because any RV is pretty easy to get into, by a stranger or a bear.

how often do you camp in bear country? Because in the 10 years I've been on various RV forums, only one major campground in the country, has proven to have a permanent ban on soft-sided RV's, due to bear activity. That's Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone.

No one has been able to come up with another campground with such a ban, in those 10 years.

You might research for any such incident, with a hybrid, because I've never heard or read of such a thing happening.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:54 AM   #16
We have gone full circle. We started in a popup Went to a slide on truck camper and then to a small 5th wheel then to a huge fifth wheel then back to a popup and then a hybrid and now back to a small 5th wheel. We were happy in the Hybrid it was just the set up time.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #17
My wife was pretty set against the canvas as well. She changed her mind when we started to compare it against hard sided models of similar length and weight. I didn't want to go larger and she liked the space a hybrid gives.

Time will tell how it all works out but I definitely understand both of you needing to feel comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #18
Like Bikendan I too have an older model hybrid, 07 Roo 233 (has three tip out bunks). I bought it used last year. It does show past leaks but so far since I've had it, it has not leaked. There are rain gutters above the three bunks. I can't imagine for the life of me why they would stop putting them on. Makes perfect sense. There are lots of different hybrids out there. I was looking at them at our annual RV show here in Hershey this past October and some models do have the rain gutters. Something to look at when making your selection. Good luck! BTW, we LOVE our Roo!

2007 Rockwood Roo 233
2006 F150 XLT Crew Cab

MommaHuffman is offline   Reply With Quote