Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #1

New Owner - Overwhelmed

We took possession of a 2011 Rockwood Roo 17 last year and, thankfully, managed to get it out a couple of times before the end of the year. I say thankfully, because the previous owner quick run through sank in then but has sunk out now!!

We are gearing up for the coming camping season and for the life of me I am drawing a blank on how to get the water heater and furnace turned on and running again?!?!? I know, I know - should be second nature, but we only used it twice last year and managed to get by, and I know it will become second nature, but any insight would be appreciated.

Also, any start up tips for newbies? The previous owner left some scratch notes about start-up (something about a valve and a water tank), which I think sounds important!??!?

Thanks very much and sorry to make the first post the needy one.

Thanks again,
armstrong_haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:37 PM   #2

Nothing is second nature yet, so don't sweat it. With one or two exceptions, everyone was a newbie here once.
Yes, very very important to have water in the tank before starting it or you will burn out the electric elements.
Bleed the air from the gas lines at the stove until you get a good flame before trying the other appliances. A 2011 should have auto light, but if you can provide either model numbers or pics, we can help a bit more.
Personally I have to pack in for the night but another helpful soul will be alone any second.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #3

Thanks very much for the reply and details. Yeah, I recall him mentioning, and the manual stating that no water in tank - bad for water heater.

So, if I get the pilot light lit on the stove does that then take care of the furnace?

I will look to get some additional details or pics up if possible too.

Thanks so much again,
armstrong_haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #4

The stove and furnace are on the same line - and it is a lot easier to see that the line is clear if the stove is lit than the furnace, water heater or fridge.
Once the furnace has gas going in it should light. Water heater too. Some models have an extra switch on the outside, so number or picture would help.
One thing I do is flip breaker on the water heater after a trip to make it even less likely to try turning it on without water.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Howdy, a good place to start is the FAQ section we try to maintain here of the more common things you will encounter:

Forest River FAQs - Forest River Forums

If you have the Suburban water heater that can be run off of propane and/or the electric heating element, then this FAQ may help out in the understanding/operation of the two different ways to use it.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

Hope it helps

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
Broken Toe

My tips for newbies.

#1 Practice towing/turning/backing for an hour or so a couple days before your first trip. Get a feel for how your unit handles. 9:00 at night at the campground is not the place to be finding these things out.

#2 keep a pad and pencil by the door on your first few trip. Anytime you have a "We should have brought a..." moment, write that thing down so you remember to get one. You dont want to have to open a can of beans with a hammer and screwdriver just becasue you forgot to pack a can opener more than once.

#3 Checklists are your friend.

#4 RELAX! understand that the first few trips will be learning experiences. We have all been there. Nobody is gonna kill you because you needed 4 tries to get your trailer positioned right in the campground.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #7

I actually camped in mine several times without hot water, (or any water) and did not use the stove or furnace. After wintering over in FL in Jan and Feb, we still do not use the furnace preferring to use a small electric heater which is all that we have needed.

The point is, you can grow into using all of the extras built into your camper as you are ready to take them on.
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
My tips for newbies.

#1 Practice towing/turning/backing for an hour or so a couple days before your first trip. Get a feel for how your unit handles. 9:00 at night at the campground is not the place to be finding these things out.

#2 keep a pad and pencil by the door on your first few trip. Anytime you have a "We should have brought a..." moment, write that thing down so you remember to get one. You dont want to have to open a can of beans with a hammer and screwdriver just becasue you forgot to pack a can opener more than once.

#3 Checklists are your friend.

#4 RELAX! understand that the first few trips will be learning experiences. We have all been there. Nobody is gonna kill you because you needed 4 tries to get your trailer positioned right in the campground.

Tim

So true all of it and checklists save you frustration when you least need it . Great Advice

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Even after five years, I still feel myself get a little anxious when pulling out the 33-foot from my parking space.

I just calm myself by remembering the basics...watching the mirrors (especially when turning) and keeping a safe stopping distance when in traffic. No need to rush!!

Before heading out, I walk through inside the trailer to ensure the gas is working on the fridge (and it's shut tight). Then I'll double-check my hitch (and chains), and sway-control arms, safety shut-off strap, tires and trailer stairs. I also do a brake check on a short stretch of road after pulling out of the camper and will also do a light and blinker check on the truck and trailer. Oh, I keep a torque wrench in my truck with a socket for the trailer tires and always ensure they are at 100 pounds torque. (I'm always amazed at how at least a few nuts are a bit short of the 100 pounds.)

Usually everything is great but, once in a while, I'll look at the truck gas tank and realize I forgot to fill-up...so I know where the nearest truck-stop is so will swing by to fill-up.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I actually camped in mine several times without hot water, (or any water) and did not use the stove or furnace. After wintering over in FL in Jan and Feb, we still do not use the furnace preferring to use a small electric heater which is all that we have needed.

The point is, you can grow into using all of the extras built into your camper as you are ready to take them on.
Yep, our first winter trip last year we learned real quick that a small electric heater is WAY better than using the furnace that used up our propane pronto over the course of a few days!

Sometimes, you learn letter from your own experience but it's nice when you get helpful tips from others
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #11

Watch the movie RV on what not to do...
Old 04-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #12
Site Team

Create a set up and tear down check list either by reading manuals or by a test setup at home. Add to / modify it as you find new things. After a while you will not need it, but keep it. It is a refresher when you start a new season, guide if you ever have a new person helping and certainly a plus when you sell the unit. Saving the electric element in the water heater by accidentally turning it on empty is worth the effort. Also operate the burners on the stove to clear the lines. The pilot light does not use propane fast enough.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #13

Wow! There is so much great information here. Us noobs are so lucky to have all this experience at our finger tips (errr... keyboard. lol) What a great forum this is!!!

A sincere thank you to all who posted here to help! I learn something new (or at least get something reinforced) every time I read a thread.
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #14

Also, don't forget that there is a YouTube video for pretty much everything and anything you want to do or know about. Not saying don't ask questions here but sometimes it helps to see how this stuff is done if you have any trepidations.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post
Yep, our first winter trip last year we learned real quick that a small electric heater is WAY better than using the furnace that used up our propane pronto over the course of a few days!

Sometimes, you learn letter from your own experience but it's nice when you get helpful tips from others
A little lessons-learned from us concerning space heaters.

Some can stay on fan (blowing) and will turn the heater on/off as it gets cooler/warmer. But some only have the option of turning all the way off and on. Our first one was like this and the sound difference kept waking us up all night long...making us grumpy campers the next day. Our new one is much better and we, also, place it was far from the bedroom as we can. (Our trailer furnace is also pretty loud when it comes on so we try to only use the space heater.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #16

Every first trip of the season, we do something silly, or forget something we 'always' remember. Checklists are your friends - even throughout the season - for set-up and take-down. We have a list in our TV that we do a quick "Yup" check before we leave:
All vents closed
All windows closed
Antenna down
Stabilizers up
Stairs up
Electric cord away
Chains on
Sway bar on
Turn signal/brake light check

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #17

One thing we've learned in our short time of driveway camping this spring is that the inside temp seems to be more easily regulated by a small electric heater than by the TT heater. When the TT heater is on, it's warm/hot. When it's off, it gets chilly quickly. Regardless of what setting we have the heater on. An additional plus is that when at the CG, you're using their electricity rather than your propane.
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post

Still is a good idea to figure out how everything works even if you don't use them every time. Plus you will be able to help out someone should they have a question you could answer.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #19
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
My tips for newbies.
#2 keep a pad and pencil by the door on your first few trip. Anytime you have a "We should have brought a..." moment, write that thing down so you remember to get one.
X2 on this.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #20

The people my wife and I have camped with are good sources of information. We have found that they are more than willing to add a helping hand. We have been RVing for three years now. One thing that really helped me was keeping a folder on how to do things. That way if I forgot all I had to do was refer to my notes.
Bears1985 is offline   Reply With Quote