Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #21

Great info here. Which forum should I look in to get generator suggestions and reviews. I'm thinking I need/want a 2000watt inverter model, but there are so many choices. I'm really not too worried about getting a higher watt unit to run the A/C because it would be rare when we would ever need A/C in the mountains of Canada. Just a good unit to top up batteries, maybe run a blender, etc.

2014 Roo 21ssL...towed by 2015 Ram Power Wagon
RACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #22
Site Team

then a 2000w inverter generator would be the best choice.

it's up to you how much you want to spend and if you eventually would want to get another one to parallel.

you can get a Honda 2000w w/free shipping, for around $900 in the U.S.
you can get the Champion 2000w one for around $500-$600 and it's almost as quiet as the Honda/Yamaha units and it can also be paralleled.

supposedly, Smarter Tools, which makes a 2000w Yamaha-powered one that recently had the parallel feature added and they're sold at Costco, as is the Champion 2000w. it also sells for around $600.
neither are quite as quiet as the H & Y units are, but they're close.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #23

I bought the Hyundai and very happy so far, Homedepot.ca has free shipping too.

I get the 2000 so I could run the A/C, you must camp in different Canadian mountains than I do cause it gets hot in the summer The HY2000 will start and run my 13.5 AC and ran it for 3 hours continuous.

With exchange right now and shipping the US market is not even a choice.
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonman View Post
I bought the Hyundai and very happy so far, Homedepot.ca has free shipping too.

I get the 2000 so I could run the A/C, you must camp in different Canadian mountains than I do cause it gets hot in the summer The HY2000 will start and run my 13.5 AC and ran it for 3 hours continuous.

With exchange right now and shipping the US market is not even a choice.
Ya, I don't know...I literally never camped in Canada with my previous popup, where I ever wished I had A/C. The few times it seemed to get too warm inside our popup, simply unzipping the one or two windows at each end of the trailer solved the warmth issue. But, maybe with a unit that is mostly hardshell...like a hybrid, will warrant the use of A/C...? I will look into the specs on the Hyundia. I'm tempted by Honda right now though, as they are on sale currently and would be $1140 out the door. Pretty good deal.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #25

We camped the last two years in the pop up and I like the A/C but my wife would open windows, we used it for the kids to get to sleep, that said we used the heat and A/C in the same day lol

We have moved up to a rear slide so like you I assume the walls will help keep hot out and cool in?
08 Outback 21RS
Old 03-01-2014, 02:20 AM   #26

You are gonna love that trailer. We almost exclusively dry camp. We have 2 12 volt deep cycle batteries. Did have to fab up a tray for them to fit on the front. They last 4 days no problem, even when using the T.V. on rainy days. All interior lighting has been converted to LED, I also converted the bunk fans to low amp "computer" fans, which are also way quieter when they are running. Also installed an Espar D4 Airtronic heater. Uses WAY less power than the propane furnace, and keeps the interior warmer, and drier too. Have run the whole set up on a -13 deg C long weekend and did not have to charge the batteries at all, interior never went below 18 deg C. We also have a 2000 watt Honda inverter generator, just in case. We rarely use it. Mostly gets started to charge camera batteries or occasionally run the DW's hair drier.
Down side....when you get into the hidden spots in the backs of the cabinets, you are going to be shocked and disappointed at the amount of crap that is left behind from the plant. Take the time to look at all the wiring too. Yours may be fine, and most likely will, but for me at least, I found a few things that could have caused small problems down the road.
Most of all, ENJOY!
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Also installed an Espar D4 Airtronic heater.
Where/how do you store the diesel fuel to run this heater?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #28

As part of the battery tray I fabbed up, I welded on brackets to support a 10 L fuel tank. It is a nice unit that is about 3" thick, so it tucks in nicely between the batteries and the propane tank cover. Also, I run Kerosene, not diesel. No smell that way.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #29

cmcct: I was wondering if you considered one of these?

Olympian Wave 3 Catalytic Safety Heater - Camco 57331 - Portable Heaters - Camping World

No power, just propane. One down side is you have to hang it on the wall, you can't put it where the current furnace is at. Upside is it's a LOT cheaper. And don't need to carry diesel or kerosene.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
welcome to FRF and the "Roo Kroo"!!
I think before I buy the warranty for 2500.00 I would check with Good Sam
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKMAN View Post
Hello all. New to this forum and new to Hybrids. My wife and I just closed a deal today on a 2014 Roo19. We did the popup thing for 5 years and while we enjoyed it and made many great memories, I am looking forward to less set-up and take-down work that the Hybrid should provide. This is our first TT of any kind so it will be a learning experience for us. I am a very mechanically inclined person, so I think I will be able to figure most stuff out but appreciate any advice from more experienced Roo owners. Couple questions right off the top...
1. I've read about water leaks from the bulkheads...is this common, or more related to earlier models?
2. I have to decide before our scheduled pickup day if the extended warranty is worth buying or not. It's $2500 extra for a total of 7 years of coverage, but still $2500 is not chump change.
3. We do mostly remote camping with no hookups, so is it worthwhile to have dual 6 volt batteries instead of the single 12 volt?

Thanks for any insight. I'm sure I will have more questions later.

RACKMAN
We did the same thing we had a pop up for 12 yrs .We went with a used 2001 Keystone Lite House expandable.It was a upgrade but down the road it was not what we wanted . Myself I don't like the Expandables trailers .To me there is a lot of wasted space. But that is my thoughts
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
cmcct: I was wondering if you considered one of these?

Olympian Wave 3 Catalytic Safety Heater - Camco 57331 - Portable Heaters - Camping World

No power, just propane. One down side is you have to hang it on the wall, you can't put it where the current furnace is at. Upside is it's a LOT cheaper. And don't need to carry diesel or kerosene.
Nope, not for a second. I have a personal issue with the idea of a catalytic heater for comfort heat. First and foremost is the fact that it is an open combustion inside the trailer that releases water vapor into the trailer. Here is one of the upsides to the Espar. The outlet temperature is hot enough to get rid of the humidity in the trailer (of course, one has to have vents/windows open as well), plus, the blower quietly runs all the time so there is constant air movement which makes for even heating throughout the trailer and, no large temperature swings. Combustion takes place inside a chamber that is vented outside and uses outside air for the combustion process.
As for fuel/power consumption, when the heater is running on low speed (which it will most of the time), it is rated at .034 gal/hr and .6 Amps. One long weekend I watched our "neighbour" go through 3 20lb bottles of propane and have to hook his trailer up to his vehicle to charge his batteries twice a day. I went through 2 gal of fuel and battery power was never an issue.
Sorry this is so long, and, sure I may have paid more than some are willing to spend, but I don't regret the decision....and most important of all, my wife is warm and comfortable which, as we all know, equals a happy wife, which in turn, equals, happy life.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

New Roo 19

Quote:
Sort of on topic.

We have a 40 gallon black and grey, how long will it take for a two adults and two small kids to fill those up?

A little late to the game here, but I need to offer a counterpoint to those saying they fill their grey first. Having 2 potty training toddlers, I find my black fills up way faster than my grey. If we're only out for 2 days I can sometimes stretch it, but 3 day weekends I almost always had to dump my black 1/2 way thru the weekend.

Must be all that flushing that accompanies the "daddy I need to go pee" every 4-5 minutes.

Edit: dang spellcheck got me.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
A little late to the game here, but I need to offer a counterpoint to those saying they fill their grey first. Having 2 potty training toddlers, I find my black fills up way faster than my grey. If we're only out for 2 days I can sometimes stretch it, but 3 day weekends I almost always had to dump my black 1/2 way thru the weekend.

Must be all that flushing that accompanies the "daddy I need to go pee" every 4-5 minutes.

Edit: dang spellcheck got me.
If we can fill up the 40 gallon black in 2-3 days then I need to take the family to the clinic...

Our 13 Gallon in the tent trailer would last a week or more.
08 Outback 21RS
Old 03-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If we can fill up the 40 gallon black in 2-3 days then I need to take the family to the clinic...

Our 13 Gallon in the tent trailer would last a week or more.

The way my kids (and possibly DW) flush, 13 gallons would only last me 13 flushes. I'm still working on getting them to realize they only need a shot of water to rinse #1 down the toilet and they don't need to stand on the pedal for a couple of minutes.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #36

Well the big day is almost here...pickup new Roo in two days. Only thing that could prevent this deal from being finalized is if the dealer tries to change the value that they agreed to on my popup trade-in...they based the trade-in value off my description of condition,etc...which was completely honest but they did not see it in person and did not request to do so until pick up day. But, something like that happening wouldn't surprise me as it seems RV dealers are not really any different than car dealers, realtors, etc...anyway they can screw you, they will. Sorry, don't be offended if you're a car dealer, realtor, etc...just never had good experiences in my life with any of them. I'm sure there are some that are honest. Anyway, any advice for the PDI? Will they try to rush me through it. I have a feeling I'm small potatoes to them as a Roo 19 isn't exactly a huge purchase like some of the $80,000 units they sell...

Old 03-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Anyway, any advice for the PDI? Will they try to rush me through it. I have a feeling I'm small potatoes to them as a Roo 19 isn't exactly a huge purchase like some of the $80,000 units they sell...
Congrats on the new camper!

I doubt most dealers rush you through the PDI based on the price of your unit. Its normally a tech from the service dept that does a PDI, from our experience. The techs get paid by the hour, no matter what the price of the unit. Any good dealer isn't going to short cut this - they should want to leave happy.

If they are going too fast, just ask questions. And get a contact person before you leave to call with questions. Its pretty hard to remember everything they will cover.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #38

Take as much time as you need to feel comfortable. Don't forget the hitch! Using a weight distributing hitch is different than what I assume was on your popup. The dealer did not cover this too well during the PDI.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well the big day is almost here...pickup new Roo in two days.
Very exciting -

Quote:
Only thing that could prevent this deal from being finalized is if the dealer tries to change the value that they agreed to on my popup trade-in...they based the trade-in value off my description of condition,etc...which was completely honest but they did not see it in person and did not request to do so until pick up day.
They will probably be going off the book. I bet they stick to it. Let us know.

Quote:
Anyway, any advice for the PDI? Will they try to rush me through it. I have a feeling I'm small potatoes to them as a Roo 19 isn't exactly a huge purchase like some of the $80,000 units they sell...
My advice is to use a checklist. I agree with kmp44 that you won't be rushed through it. Expect to take your time and they'll give you the time.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #40
rbq

Just a note on how fast 2 kids can fill a black tank. Several years ago we took our 6 yr. old grandson for memorial weekend & were boondocking. Like a dope I forgot to load the dump tank in the truck & by Saturday night he had filled the black water tank. He liked to flush it. Had to pull out early.
As far as PDI X2 on using a checklist. Be sure & open all cupboards. Open both bunks and set them up. Run everything up & down to make sure that all works. We have a 233S & when we opened the side bunk found that the factory had put the cables for a front bunk on the side bunk & had to have them order the correct ones. Open all of the windows & make sure that they work. We found one of the windows on the slide was stuck shut & the tech had to really work it to get it free. Better he break it than us. Enjoy the Roo. Get out & use it. We love ours & can't wait to get out soon.

Tags
roo