Old 02-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #11

Alright, thanks guys...you saved me from buying an extended warrantee that wasn't needed. I will buy the second year warrantee offered by Forest River. I will also go with two 6 volt batts for better performance in the dry camping situations we will be doing.
Any other advice about lifting the chassis up a little for better clearance? I can fabricate and weld, so if it's just a matter of spacers between axles and frame it shouldn't be an issue.
Also, anyone have a newer Roo with the newer style bed latches that don't appear very robust? Any issues so far with them? Should I be overly concerned?

2014 Roo 21ssL...towed by 2015 Ram Power Wagon
RACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:15 AM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

be sure to get some Popup Gizmos or the generic solar blanket versions, #1 mod for hybrids.
also, Reflectix in the bunk end windows.

you may want to look at wiring in an inverter. my 400w one is plenty for what we would need dry camping.

you really can't go wrong with the two 6v golf cart batteries. we are fine with the two 12v because we have the Honda if they need recharging after 4-5 days.

also, look into getting a tote tank to dump the gray water in. we also have a 6 gallon plastic Jerry can to shuttle fresh water.

all these are very useful for being successful dry campers or boondockers.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
Boondocking Only

Congratulation, that is a great camper. Does it have the offroad package? It may add a couple inches or just get some spacers welded in. We need a little extra clearance here in Wyoming also, the mountains can get a little rough & it helps with snow drifts. The door end latches should be fine just like anything don't force them & take care not to get any canvass pinched. We use a small solar panel with a 12v battery can go 4 days with very minimal generator use.
Oh & post some pics of it!!!
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #14

I have always worried about raising a trailer, would this not make it more prone to rollover?
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
be sure to get some Popup Gizmos or the generic solar blanket versions, #1 mod for hybrids.
also, Reflectix in the bunk end windows.

you may want to look at wiring in an inverter. my 400w one is plenty for what we would need dry camping.

you really can't go wrong with the two 6v golf cart batteries. we are fine with the two 12v because we have the Honda if they need recharging after 4-5 days.

also, look into getting a tote tank to dump the gray water in. we also have a 6 gallon plastic Jerry can to shuttle fresh water.

all these are very useful for being successful dry campers or boondockers.
What do you mean by Popup Gizmos/generic solar blankets? What are these and what do they do? Also, what is the tote for? Just incase you camp long enough that the grey water tank becomes full? Sorry for the newbie questions...

Old 02-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonman View Post
I have always worried about raising a trailer, would this not make it more prone to rollover?
Not really, as we are only talking about 3-4" here...comparable to what is already offered by many manufacturers when they sell trailers with off-road packages. There wasn't any Roo 19s available in my neck of the woods with a factory off-road package, so I just figured I could make the modifications myself if I feel that it's necessary.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

Link for PUGS: PopupGizmos

X2 on the suggestion for the grey water tote. Great for dry camping, but also essential when you have water hookup & not sewer. We quickly found that even when using the campground showers just the sinks can quickly fill the relatively small grey water tank.

And on the batteries - we took the cheap way out and asked the dealer to just add a second, matching 12V battery. Not as good as the 6V's for sure, but because we were buying the camper, they set us up with battery, plastic battery box, and cables for under $100. Even that second 12v was a big help to extend battery capacity. When these go, we'll probably spend the extra on 2 new 6V's.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #18

Sort of on topic.

We have a 40 gallon black and grey, how long will it take for a two adults and two small kids to fill those up?
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #19
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Sort of on topic.

We have a 40 gallon black and grey, how long will it take for a two adults and two small kids to fill those up?
there's no concern with the black tank since they fill waaayyy slower than the gray tank. the two of us can go a couple of weeks of camping before we even close to filling our black tank.
but the gray tank will fill in just a few days, especially with two kids. that's why a tote tank is important, along with a FW jug.

many new RV owners focus on the black tank, when it's the gray tank that they should be focusing on, if they don't have hookups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Sort of on topic.

Kind of a loaded question. Depends on how much you use it.

A short shower could still use 5 gallons... If you use paper plates and cook on the grill, you have a lot less dishes to wash.

With out using the shower, we have managed to fil the 30 gallon grey tank in 3 days. But 10 gallons of water per day isn't a huge amount - its not hard to use that much. Dishes twice a day, bathroom sink, kids washing their hands (if we're lucky).

The black tank is probably going to go much longer. We typically only use ours at night and even after a week, we dump it well before full.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo