Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #1

New Roo for the Newbie

Just picked up a 21SS last week. I likie. Thus far, just one warranty issue to deal with....my furnace won't light. I'm hoping to take it on it's maiden voyage shortly to test everything else out...but it's going to have to warm up now!

The last RV I owned was a single axle 18 footer. Man, that new slide really opens things up! Looking forward to years of service...
kevmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats, and hope you enjoy. When you say your furnace won't light, what do you mean? On these newer trailers, when you turn the thermostat up, the furnace fan should come on first thing. After that it will try to light. Make sure you have bled the air out of the propane lines by lighting a stove burner. Also make sure that your battery is good, as it runs the blower and lights the flame for the furnace. There aren't any pilot lights on much of anything anymore. Hope this helps, and I'm sure others will chime in.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #3

Congratulations on your purchase Are you going to post pics? I'd love to see it!

We pick up our new 21ss on the 27th of this month, and I can't wait.
The Baker's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Congrats, and hope you enjoy. When you say your furnace won't light, what do you mean? On these newer trailers, when you turn the thermostat up, the furnace fan should come on first thing. After that it will try to light. Make sure you have bled the air out of the propane lines by lighting a stove burner. Also make sure that your battery is good, as it runs the blower and lights the flame for the furnace. There aren't any pilot lights on much of anything anymore. Hope this helps, and I'm sure others will chime in.
The furnace attempts to light but doesn't. I bled the line by burning the stove. The blower will come on and I can hear the igniter firing...but it's not getting gas into the combustion chamber. My guess is an internal switch not allowing the gas to come in. Not sure if I have a sticky switch or if something is wrong with the control board. Could be the later because the furnace won't even attempt to come back on if left on. The instruction book indicated that this furnace has it's own shut off valve, but I've traced the line from the furnace to the tank....no shut off valve anywhere along the way. Frustrating...but I'm sure an easy fix....

The fridge works with gas, but I've not tried the water heater yet.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baker's View Post
Congratulations on your purchase Are you going to post pics? I'd love to see it!

We pick up our new 21ss on the 27th of this month, and I can't wait.
Hopefully...it'll warm up enough around here to get out and play with the RV and my camera. I'm looking forward to it's maiden voyage!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

When the blower comes on for the furnace, it moves a flap in the furnace blower ducting connected to the "sail switch" The sail switch closes contacts which will open the solenoid for the gas supply to the furnace so the igniter will light it. This is the simple explanation. Get model number from furnace, find manual online, and check trouble-shooting procedure if you can find one. On most, you could jump the sail switch, and see if it will light. God Luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #7

I had the same exact issue with my 2010 Roo ... The issue was a bad thermostat. You can test out to see if it is the thermostat, you need to take the cover off the thermostat, then get your self a piece of wire and connect it to the two screws that the existing wires are connected to in the thermostat. If the heater kicks in, you've got yourself a bad thermostat. I replaced the thermostat myself (went to local hardware store) and got a digital thermostat. I got the above instructions from talking to my dealer's service department. They say they've gotten quite a few bad thermostats.
TheDenaRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #8

congatulations on the new Roo!!!
commander ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Site Team

be sure to get solar blankets or PUGs for the tent ends. #1 mod for hybrid owners.

you may want to change out the lousy analog thermostat for a digital one, while you're dealing with the furnace. i put in a Honeywell but the Hunter is the most popular. costs about $25 at Walmart.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #10

What are PUGs?
The Baker's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #11

Quote:
What are PUGs?
Baker's I've sent you a PM

2010 Rockwood Ultralite 2501SSRetired
2005 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/AllisonRetired
2014 Aliner Classic Off-Road Titanium
2010 Toyota Rav4 V6 with Factory Tow Package
4WallCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
What are PUGs?
PUGs are popup gizmos:

http://www.popupgizmos.com/

first made for the tent ends of popups. they are custom-fitted and help keep the ends cool or warm, depending on which side of the covers you use. they also keep the canvas clean and provide darkness for afternoon naps or late sleepers.
they are made for hybrids, also.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #13

Thanks for the responses guys and gals. I took the furnace out....beat on it a little while...put it back in and it's now working fine. I'm assuming it was a sticky sail switch.

Tags
roo