Old 06-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #11
Thank you!

wmutkelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
Get a can of seal conditioner from your dealer or on line. Dried out seals are a major cause of leakage around the bunk ends. Get some screens to cover furnace and stove exhausts. Keeps the mud daubers out.
Especially if this is your first camper, pay close attention during the pdi. Video any portions that seem confusing. Be sure you understand the water system, including the water heater. Know how to operate on propane or electricity. FYI...don't turn on water heater unless you are SURE it is full of water.
Season your bunk end tenting. Will prevent leaks around stitching in the future.
Good luck and enjoy your new Roo.

jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #13

congrats on your Roo. We have the 21dk. This is our 3rd summer with it and have made 2 trips to Michigan plus several other trips. Love the state parks but wish they had water on the sites. We fill up with fresh water when we enter the park and can easily get 3-4 days out of the tank. The serge protector is a must in my mind. First trip out the park we were in near Frankenmuth had power surges which, if we didn't have the protecto,r could have fried the whole tv. Some other things i haven't seen mention are more comfort related. Foam mattress pads for beds and mattress covers make the beds very comfortable. I purchased inexpensive dishes, pans, silverware, bedding. towels ect. to keep in the tv. Makes it much easier to pack up and take off without forgetting stuff. Pugs are great both in cool and hot weather. And of course never go camping without matches or lighter sticks. Good luck, enjoy.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #14
Basically, there are very few actual needs; a bunch of "should haves"; and then a pert near never ending list of "wants". I try to break them down here:

First trip essentials
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #15
New Roo must haves?

I highly recommend the Progressive Industries hard wired surge protector. I received a lot of advice on this forum about surge protectors when I had questions about what one I should purchase. I couldn't be happier with it. Here's the thread Installing Hardwire Surge Protector
2016 Roo19 Hybrid
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew Cab
OK3wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #16
That fill-up of water you're getting after you enter the park won't last long if you are showering in the camper. We bring along a 6 gal, portable water tank and fill that up as well (2 tanks wouldn't be a bad idea.)
We've added additional water hoses over the years. We have potable hoses that roll flat for easy storage. I can now tap into a water spigot within 125 feet to re-fill my FWT.
2015 Shamrock 231KSS, Oyster shell
2016 Chev Silverado LT Z71 Ext. Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V/8
Reese Straight Line WDH, 2000W Honda Gen.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:17 PM   #17
Fuses, a good first aid kit, clothes pins and line, a good check list of things you don't keep in the camper that you need to bring with you each time (you will find yourself adding to it as needed), tank treatment for both black and grey, small thing of laundry detergent and a few dryer sheets, self stick velcro, duct tape, wd-40, scissors, a couple of emergency poncho packs, assorted bungee cords, patience, and a sense of humor.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #18
Retired Member
First Camping Trip Needs

I agree with everything already posted here - but the one thing I didn't have and really needed at meal times was - a can opener! LOL Can't open a can of beans without it!
rmwmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #19
just a FYI Wal-Mart is your friend. they have a fairly decent area for RV stuff and in a pinch they have a decent selection. I bought my 30 amp extension cord from them for around $35. So I guess in a pinch for things they are not a bad place to check out and the prices are good. Have fun and good luck.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #20
Party lights. The tackier the better.

2013 Roo 183
2012: 1042 Miles, 13 Nights camped
2013: 2772 Miles, 27 Nights camped

2014: 2259 Miles, 30 Nights camped
2015: 1644 Miles, 20 Nights camped
2016: 550 Miles, 11 Nights camped
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote