Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #1

New Roo must haves?

Going to be picking up a Roo 19 in a couple weeks.

I am trying to take advantage of the time, so we can hit the ground running, so to speak.

Looks like I will need a 30 amp surge protector (talked about this in another thread).

What will I need to plug the trailer into my house for driveway camping/set up?

I imagine I will need a water hose.

Will I need an extension power cord?

Will I need to upgrade the septic tube?

Pots/pans and dishes.

Bedding.

Any other items that I am missing?

Thank you!
wmutkelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmutkelaw View Post
What will I need to plug the trailer into my house for driveway camping/set up?

A simple 30 amp female to 15 amp male adapter similar to this works great with our Roo 19 when plugging in at home getting ready for a trip http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-adapter/69604
skyflyer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #3

Dealer should provide a welcome kit which will include a fresh water hose ( water pressure reg and a role of rv tp). Knowing your camping style or maiden voyage would be helpful. If not boondocking, you need a cable wire to connect the tv. If you do plan to do full hookups, the welcome kit dump hose usually is pretty short. Great for going to the dump station. I would suggest a Rhino hose. Wheel chocks and levelers too. All can be over the counter or back yard supplied (if you have spare lengths of 2x8/10's or 4x4's)
Old 06-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #4

Thank you.

We will likely be camping in a park with only electric, not water or sewer. But will have a nearby dump/water station. (Michigan State Park)
Old 06-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #5

Sounds great. Remember to use the antennae booster and raise the antennae when using over the air channels, and to bring the antennae down (and turn the booster off to plug into cable).
Old 06-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
Site Team

Get some PUGs.
Popup Gizmos are the #1 Hybrid mod.
Probably 98% satisfaction level.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:52 AM   #7

We usually camp at Michigan state parks and we need to use a 30 amp extension cord most of the time.
ROCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #8

Water hose for blackwater flush, water pressure regulator, clean water hose, disposable latex gloves for the dump station, X chocks and regular chocks, and cut up some 2"x8" for levelling and putting under stabilizers. That should be a good start.

Good luck!!
MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #9

I got my trailer late March this year and here is what happened:
From the starter kit I used the water hose, the water pressure regulator and the 30A to 15A adaptor.
The sewer hose that came with it was not complete so I bought a Camcor 20' kit that came complete, including the transparent elbow and adaptor.
My recomendation would be to get the camper with the starter kit and then check what is missing (I have two 30A/15A adaptors because I didn't follow that)... anyway below is the list I made before I got the camper and my comments after I have camped:
in line Water filter => not needed, the camper has one
25' drinking water hose => It comes with the starter kit
Adjustable Water pressure regulator with gauge => It comes with the starter kit (not adjustable but..).
30 amp surge protection => Haven't bought yet but I will
30amp to 15amp adaptor => it comes with the starter kit
30 amp to 50amp adaptor => Haven't bought yet but I will
20' Sewer hose kit => Mandatory in my opinion.
20' Sewer hose support => Mandatory in my opinion.
10 Pack Leveling Blocks => Mandatory in my opinion (Have used every time so far).
Chocks => Mandatory in my opinion.
Towing Mirror => Mandatory in my opinion.

Also, to buy over the internet is way cheaper than at the dealer store per my experience.

Good Look.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #10

Roo Must Haves

Northern Tool has sold 30 amp extension cords at nearly give away prices from time to time. (you need at least one)
Amazon usually has fair prices for things like sewer hose and water pressure regulators and the like. ( a pair of 25 foot fresh water hoses should work) I use a cheap expandable hose for flushing the system because it stores easily in a separate sewer bag.
Make sure you get a metal Y connector with shutoffs so you can flush your system and put out your campfire while still hooked up.
Some dealers will give you a welcome kit but much of it is poor quality and what you buy at the dealers with their ?? percent off is usually overpriced to start with.
As you may notice I'm not a fan of my local dealer, but some appear to be good.
It looks like your getting a lot of advice so I'll close, happy camping.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #11

Thank you!
Old 06-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #12

Get a can of seal conditioner from your dealer or on line. Dried out seals are a major cause of leakage around the bunk ends. Get some screens to cover furnace and stove exhausts. Keeps the mud daubers out.
Especially if this is your first camper, pay close attention during the pdi. Video any portions that seem confusing. Be sure you understand the water system, including the water heater. Know how to operate on propane or electricity. FYI...don't turn on water heater unless you are SURE it is full of water.
Season your bunk end tenting. Will prevent leaks around stitching in the future.
Good luck and enjoy your new Roo.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #13

Smile

congrats on your Roo. We have the 21dk. This is our 3rd summer with it and have made 2 trips to Michigan plus several other trips. Love the state parks but wish they had water on the sites. We fill up with fresh water when we enter the park and can easily get 3-4 days out of the tank. The serge protector is a must in my mind. First trip out the park we were in near Frankenmuth had power surges which, if we didn't have the protecto,r could have fried the whole tv. Some other things i haven't seen mention are more comfort related. Foam mattress pads for beds and mattress covers make the beds very comfortable. I purchased inexpensive dishes, pans, silverware, bedding. towels ect. to keep in the tv. Makes it much easier to pack up and take off without forgetting stuff. Pugs are great both in cool and hot weather. And of course never go camping without matches or lighter sticks. Good luck, enjoy.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #14
Always Learning

Basically, there are very few actual needs; a bunch of "should haves"; and then a pert near never ending list of "wants". I try to break them down here:

First trip essentials
Old 06-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #15

New Roo must haves?

I highly recommend the Progressive Industries hard wired surge protector. I received a lot of advice on this forum about surge protectors when I had questions about what one I should purchase. I couldn't be happier with it. Here's the thread http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=90442
Old 06-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #16

That fill-up of water you're getting after you enter the park won't last long if you are showering in the camper. We bring along a 6 gal, portable water tank and fill that up as well (2 tanks wouldn't be a bad idea.)
We've added additional water hoses over the years. We have potable hoses that roll flat for easy storage. I can now tap into a water spigot within 125 feet to re-fill my FWT.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:17 PM   #17

Fuses, a good first aid kit, clothes pins and line, a good check list of things you don't keep in the camper that you need to bring with you each time (you will find yourself adding to it as needed), tank treatment for both black and grey, small thing of laundry detergent and a few dryer sheets, self stick velcro, duct tape, wd-40, scissors, a couple of emergency poncho packs, assorted bungee cords, patience, and a sense of humor.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #18
Retired Member

First Camping Trip Needs

I agree with everything already posted here - but the one thing I didn't have and really needed at meal times was - a can opener! LOL Can't open a can of beans without it!
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #19
Sham183

just a FYI Wal-Mart is your friend. they have a fairly decent area for RV stuff and in a pinch they have a decent selection. I bought my 30 amp extension cord from them for around $35. So I guess in a pinch for things they are not a bad place to check out and the prices are good. Have fun and good luck.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #20

Party lights. The tackier the better.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo