Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #1

New Shamrock 23IKSS

Picked up my new 23IKSS two weeks ago. The wife spent a week getting "settled in" so to speak. About 6 years ago we graduated for tent camping to a used popup. Now that we are getting a little older, the 2 am nature call prompted us to take the next logical step. I was hoping to take it out for a little late winter camping this weekend, but there is snow in the forecast for Friday and Sunday. I have never pulled a camper this size any distance, much less in the snow. So, I am kind of bummed and waiting for an improved weather prediction. The cold doesn't bother me, I just don't want to take the risk yet and drive in the snow. Just waiting for winter to have it's one last hurrah (hopefully the last one).

I cannot decide if I wish I had found this forum before I bought the camper or if I am glad I didn't. I may just be glad I went into this totally oblivious. Some of the forum posts would have made me think twice. But, after a couple of years of looking, we didn't see anything we liked as well.
kcmtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome!

Good to have you here and glad you found us. 'Gratz on your new Shamrock!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #3

Congrats on the new 23ikss!!

Days camped 2013 ...23
Days camped 2014....8
2006 Chevy Avalanche
2014 ROO 23IKSS
ggrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #4

Welcome form Wisconsin and congrats on your new Shamrock 23IKSS!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #5

You will be glad you found this forum. It is full of knowledge and nice people willing to take the time to help anyone with questions.
5.7-liter Hemi V-8

2015 nights camped - 5
Tewksburyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmtnbiker View Post
I cannot decide if I wish I had found this forum before I bought the camper or if I am glad I didn't. I may just be glad I went into this totally oblivious. Some of the forum posts would have made me think twice. But, after a couple of years of looking, we didn't see anything we liked as well.
Welcome!! Did basically the same thing and have never looked back! I'm pretty sure you'll love it...
Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
Boondocking Only

Congratulations & post a pic!!
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Picked up my new 23IKSS two weeks ago. The wife spent a week getting "settled in" so to speak. About 6 years ago we graduated for tent camping to a used popup. Now that we are getting a little older, the 2 am nature call prompted us to take the next logical step. I was hoping to take it out for a little late winter camping this weekend, but there is snow in the forecast for Friday and Sunday. I have never pulled a camper this size any distance, much less in the snow. So, I am kind of bummed and waiting for an improved weather prediction. The cold doesn't bother me, I just don't want to take the risk yet and drive in the snow. Just waiting for winter to have it's one last hurrah (hopefully the last one).

If you liked your popup & just wanted more amenities (like a bathroom) I think you will love the new Shamrock.

After a couple trips, you will probably adjust to towing the larger trailer. That big square front does make a difference, but you get used to it.

If you do take it out in the cool weather, be prepared to deal with the condensation - on the canvas and probably the windows too. I see in the new brochure they are listing double pane windows as an option now. We were surprised at how much more condensation we saw in the hybrid than the popup. Makes sense though, its just so much tighter. There are many threads on here to cover that topic.

We really wanted a hybrid, so we asked a lot of questions before buying, but kind of turned a blind eye to some of the issues raised on the forums. So far, no problems. Reading here gives you a real awareness of potential problems (and solutions) but I think the leaks and manufacturing issues you come across on all the brands/types are more the exception than the rule.

Now we just need some warmer weather. Minus 3 here this morning. I don't even think my new PUGS will help today!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snicker in the 23IKSS.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	46961
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbck View Post
congratulations & post a pic!!
My 95 pound Labradoodle moved in and ready to go camping. Sorry, only pic I have.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #10

^ Every camping dog needs to find their favorite spot .
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #11

Quote:

Hello kcmtnbiker. Did you happen to purchase your 23IKSS from Camping World? I tried calling them to take a look at one and they sold there only one a few weeks ago at the RV show. I am interested in this unit as well as the 21SS and 23SS. I also like the 22DSX and S-225T. Are you in Kansas City?
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
Site Team

JW, it would help if you posted what your tow vehicle is and its specs and how many will be using the trailer, i.e. number of people sleeping in it.

that will help in recommendations.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #13

Talking 23IKSS Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
JW, it would help if you posted what your tow vehicle is and its specs and how many will be using the trailer, i.e. number of people sleeping in it.

that will help in recommendations.
I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS crewcab short bed with a trailing package and anti-sway & a 5.3L V8. I don't have the trailing guide handy, but it was rated over 9,000 pounds. I bought the truck last summer so we could get a camper, then couldn't find what we wanted.

Primarily, it will be my wife, my dog and I using it. We have 5 grandchildren that will be joining us from time to time. Hopefully, not all 5 at once. They ranged from under 2 to almost 15 years old.

I did get a 4 point sway control hitch.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #14
Site Team

kc, i meant JWHybrid, not you.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #15

That's okay. I have a 2004 Toyota 4-Runner 4.7liter V-8 with factory towing pkg. I have not towed behind it since I purchased it last year. I plan on getting a wdh as it was recommended. It will primarily just be my brother and I travelling. I may go with my wife and 7 year old, but they don't like to camp too much. KCMtnbkr. What part of KC are you near?. I would love to check it out next time your getting ready to leave on a trip. I would like to check it out before I order one. Were you able to get a good deal from Camping World? What options did you get with yours?
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:53 AM   #16

The island kitchen layout is soooooo nice, and spacious. If we had the room for it i'd be in one of those right now, as my wife pretty much fell in love with the functionality, and a couple near us had one on the market. The extra few feet it adds over the 21ss was just a bit too much for the space we have to park it, so we went with the 21ss instead, and plan to use rolling fold-away islands instead. But we're certainly going to miss that layout!!
RoyGBivUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:24 AM   #17

Welcome from the other side of the state. You'll be glad you found this forum. Any question you may have, and situation you may run into, someone on here has experienced it and knows the answer and is happy to help.

C'mon, spring!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shamrock