Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

New Shamrock, a few questions

Hi all, first post here.

I am looking to purchase a Shamrock. I believe it is a 2003. It is a 21 foot. (this is all from a craiglist ad).

First of all what do I need to look for other than the obvious, soft spots in the floors and walls, wrinkled flooring, bald tires, etc. Problem areas?

And secondly, the owner sent me some pics of the bunk ends and they are destroyed by mice. There are multiple holes. I fear that they both need complete replacement. Is this something that I can do? I am a fairly handy person.

Finally, A full size Ford Expedition with tow package should have no trouble pulling this rig, right?

I am new to campers and appreciate any help. Thank you.
Parr8hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

Others have replaced the tents, but I think it's run them $600+. They have done it themselves. Check this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nts-78984.html

With respect to your tow vehicle: You should post more info than what you did. (See my sig below). Someone with something similar will probably give you some advice. And be careful: not all Explorers (or Silverados) are created equal. What's the tow capacity? What's the payload? Etc. Try to find the owners manual if you don't already have it and see what it says (e.g., my Silverado manual lists 99 different versions of the 1500, with tow capacity ranging from about 4,000 lbs up to 11,000 lbs depending on engine, transmission, cooling, etc.).

Regarding what to look for, here's a thread asking a similar question:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post933768

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Others have replaced the tents, but I think it's run them $600+. They have done it themselves. Check this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nts-78984.html

With respect to your tow vehicle: You should post more info than what you did. (See my sig below). Someone with something similar will probably give you some advice. And be careful: not all Explorers (or Silverados) are created equal. What's the tow capacity? What's the payload? Etc. Try to find the owners manual if you don't already have it and see what it says (e.g., my Silverado manual lists 99 different versions of the 1500, with tow capacity ranging from about 4,000 lbs up to 11,000 lbs depending on engine, transmission, cooling, etc.).

Regarding what to look for, here's a thread asking a similar question:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post933768
Thanks! I just quickly googled an 07 Expedition with tow package and the same motor and it appears I have a 9200 lb tow capacity. I have not looked at my door jamb or anything. guess I should go do that.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
Site Team

The main area to examine VERY closely, are the bunk door areas. Hinge area, seals and door edges are the most common problem areas.

You should be able to get replacement tent ends from Bear Creek Canvas or CanvasReplacements.com
If you're handy, you should be able to do it yourself.
Make sure you remember how you removed them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #5

Just because the tires are not bald does not mean they are good... RV tires rot before they wear out... many RV people buy new tires every 15-30,000 miles or 4-6 years whichever comes first. Some do not, but all of us hate to sit by the roadside changing a flat because of an old tire that "looked" good.

IMO I would just figure on spending somewhere around $6-800 on new tires unless the seller can prove he just bought them in the last 2 or 3 years AND they are the RIGHT size and LOAD capacity for that trailer.

Take a ladder to get up on that roof and go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for any sign of water intrusion or trouble spots in the caulking. Be prepared to crawl under and look at the floor with a good flashlight and poke and prod looking for soft spots or signs of damaged/repaired areas.

Good luck!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:59 PM   #6

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #7

I would be very wary of a hybrid that old. We took excellent care of our 2010 Shamrock 23SS. Cleaned and waxed regularly, seals checked and redone. It still smelled new as we never cooked in it. It towed behind our Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi with ease, but... our bunk ends delaminated. We replaced them (doors supplied free from Forest River) but felt that it would happen again. We replaced it with another Forest River trailer and so far loving it. As others advised, check it out carefully.
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:22 AM   #8

Thanks for all of your replies.

I ended up not getting that one, I got a 2008 Roo. It is the smaller 17 foot model but seems like it has all of the upgrades. The Expedition pulled it just fine on the two hour ride home. It needs a few more things to be perfect, but seems like it has been well taken care of. I am sure I will have lots more questions.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parr8hed View Post
Thanks for all of your replies.

I ended up not getting that one, I got a 2008 Roo. It is the smaller 17 foot model but seems like it has all of the upgrades. The Expedition pulled it just fine on the two hour ride home. It needs a few more things to be perfect, but seems like it has been well taken care of. I am sure I will have lots more questions.
Welcome to the forum and the "Roo crew". There's alot of folks here eager to help you. Fire away!
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #10

Ok, a few more questions.

The awning has a small tear, right at the point where it attaches to the camper. I fear that this will separate later in life as we use the awning more. Is there a repair that people use on these?

Also, how do I light the pilot light in the oven?

Everything seems to work so far, but being new to campers is there a thread that will talk about the various tanks? I am clueless on sanitizing water tank, and the differences in gray/black water and what to do to them as far as chemicals to add, etc.

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #11

Sanitize fresh water tank by adding 1/2 cup bleach to tank with 5 gal water. Drain , then rinse well.
Grey tank holds water from sinks and shower.
Black tank holds stuff from toilet
When draining tanks, drain black first. Then drain grey, which flushes rest of black tank stuff out. Then hold foot pedal on toilet down, putting 3 to 5 gals in black tank. Add a bit of Dawn dish soap to the tank. Driving home will mix it up and help keep black tank clean.
As far as awning goes, it's 8 years old. You will be looking at replacement in the near (?) future. I think I would try to mend it with a similar color vinyl tape and don't put a lot of stress on it.....take it down in a windy situation.
You'll probably find other little things as you take it out more. Part of the fun is figuring this stuff out but if you get stumped, go to this forum. Many experienced campers here who are more than willing to help. Have fun.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Sanitize fresh water tank by adding 1/2 cup bleach to tank with 5 gal water. Drain , then rinse well.
Grey tank holds water from sinks and shower.
Black tank holds stuff from toilet
When draining tanks, drain black first. Then drain grey, which flushes rest of black tank stuff out. Then hold foot pedal on toilet down, putting 3 to 5 gals in black tank. Add a bit of Dawn dish soap to the tank. Driving home will mix it up and help keep black tank clean.
As far as awning goes, it's 8 years old. You will be looking at replacement in the near (?) future. I think I would try to mend it with a similar color vinyl tape and don't put a lot of stress on it.....take it down in a windy situation.
You'll probably find other little things as you take it out more. Part of the fun is figuring this stuff out but if you get stumped, go to this forum. Many experienced campers here who are more than willing to help. Have fun.
Perfect! Thank you.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

And what the heck are these things?

Old 07-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #14

Quote:
And what the heck are these things?
Those are the electrical plug-ins for the bunk fans/lights. The previous owners should have given them to you, but it's possible that they broke and got tossed. You can buy new ones, here's an example:

12V Adapter for Bunk Fan Light - 20564, Maintenance at Sportsman's Guide

They have clips so they'll clamp onto the shepards hook (the bar that holds the bunk tent roof).

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #15

awning fix...
my 2014 awning is a vinyl fabric... if I had to repair a tear in the fabric, I would secure some tough canvas fabric or vinyl, cut a small piece a little larger than the tear, then use super glue to glue the repair fabric to the awning... make sure all the edges are glued securely.

electric fixture in your picture...
the small light/fan combos available from Amazon (if you do not have one) are nice for a reading light at night, or to use while you go to bed... also good for creating white noise with the fan, or just stirring up the air a bit to help with canvas condensation on a cool night.

I do a lot of "dry" camping at full service (water and electric) state parks... and only use the potty for liquid waste. I am able to use it for a couple of weeks, dump when leaving the park, then flush 2 or 3 gallons of water with bleach added from a previously filled 5 gal bucket into the potty and let that swish around while driving to my next stop. If I get home with that bleach water I just dump it on my gravel driveway. NO toilet tissue IN the toilet (black) tank, keeps that mess at bay.

I always use campgrounds that have showers so feel no need to use the small shower. After many years of tent camping I wash dishes in a tub and do not use the rather small sink in the trailer. If I need water, I either bring it with me or use the water from the faucet at the campsite, rather than haul water around with me in the HTT. I have blown out my fresh water tank with compressed air (there are air plugs on Amazon for this use), after testing the tanks when I bought the HTT last year, and have never since then put any water in my system, so I don't worry about freezing temps.

I just recently started using the cooktop stove, previously only using my outdoor Coleman stove. I warmed up the oven once for biscuits... and lit it without first lighting the pilot lite, just to try it out. I stay in FL in the winter and doubt that I will ever use the oven two days in a row so this works for me, besides propane is NOT free.

I have yet to use the furnace preferring the cheaper alternative of electric 1500 watt cubes, which have proved very adequate in my Shamrock 183, especially with a small fan on the floor blowing straight up to stir up the warm air inside. The heated mattresses in the 2014 Shamrock reduce the need for a lot of hot air inside.

Call me goofy if you want, but I can grow into any part of my HTT that I want while I learn the systems one at a time, without having to worry too much if I did everything right.

Roger

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shamrock