Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #1

New To Air Suspension & Leveling

Well, I finally upgraded my TV -- to a 2010 Expedition EL Limited. This vehicle is equipped with rear air suspension/leveling. I just finished a very long process of setting up the WD Hitch. Wow. This was quite the process for me. I started this new thread for others that might be venturing into air suspension, and you can see what I did to set up what I currently believe is a good fit.
1. WD Hitch -- Camco Eaz-Lift. 800lb spring bars.
2. My goal was to have the front of the truck back to level with only WD hitch, and air suspension off -- to make sure that not to much weight is being put on the leveling system.

Well, after toying around, I think I got it. Below are few pics of what I to do with my particular vehicle to get it where I wanted.

My New Ride

After doing all the normal stuff (trailer & truck level, measurments, etc...) I found that I needed the ball to be just under the tongue. When I had the ball level with tongue or just above... the air suspension would push the trailer a little high above level. I like to ride with the tongue just below level...a smidge nose down.

Final result: with truck leveled only by the WD Hitch, I brought the front of the TV about 1/2" from my front center height marking. Rear of TV is still squatted 1 1/2" low.

Final pic with Air Suspension on: Rear of truck back to my original height marking, and the front of the truck now at 1/4" of the original height marking.

I found that now matter the load, the truck was always going to push back to level, so I had to make sure that my hitch was set right and my TT didn't push high. Also, I see that I have to manage the ON & OFF of the air suspension... as it can be difficult to remove the trailer, as the truck will chase it up as you jack the weight off (bags filled extra pressure).

Quite a fun and interesting morning (and previous evening..) just trying to think this thing through... as I couldn't get it right. Currently, I believe I have succeeded. I leave out Monday on the TV's maiden voyage with the Roo... I guess I'll see.

If anyone else has any wisdom and experience, I would appreciate the input; i.e. dealing with an auto leveling system on the TV. Hope this thread helps somebody out.
2010 Expedition EL Limited 3:73 with Air Suspension
Roocrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #2

LOL! It was quite the ordeal for me as well. Somewhat different setup as we have a Land Rover LR4 and there is no way to turn the air suspension on and off. I am also using a hitch the doesn't use a ball so to unhitch you need to raise the tongue so that it is carrying some of the weight of the TV. But at that point the LR4 thinks it is getting high centered on an obstacle and raises up (chasing it up as you say.) What I finally learned to do is use the TV's keyless remote to manually lower the rear of the LR4 and thereby putting that weight on the hitch such that I could unhitch. But it took us quite a few times to figure this all out.
drhroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

Certainly seems like you thought it all through. We've got a 2008 Expedition EL but it does not have the air suspension like your 2010. I do have that same WDH, and it has worked well for the past year. I'm very pleased with how the Expedition tows.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #4

Basically, I had to break down and actually read the directions in the truck manual ...however, setting the ball height was the unknown and on me. Also, I had to spend time adjusting the springs bars. With this particular Eaz-lift hitch setup, I ended up with 5 washers (spacers) and 3 links hanging...hung on the 6th link I think. I typically would prefer longer chains (2 links hanging) so that in turning the spring bars have more freedom to swing-- i.e. push back and forth.
2010 Expedition EL Limited 3:73 with Air Suspension
Roocrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, suspension