Old 05-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #1

New to Forum and new to Shamrock

Hi everyone!

New forum member here and new owner of a just delivered (to my dealer) Shamrock 21SS (which I assume is a 2016 MY).

I will do the delivery inspection with my dealer on Friday and pick up the trailer then but in the meantime I was thinking about trailer covers as I will want to keep the trailer covered when not in use.

To that end I was looking at the ADCO line of Tyvek covers. Reading through some of the old threads re covers it looks like a number of trailer owners employ these as well and I don't recall finding any major reservations concerning same.

It looks like for my particular trailer the ADCO 32841 would be appropriate at it fits trailers from 20'1" to 22'. Can anyone else confirm that this is the correct cover for the 21SS? Does anyone have a cover that they think is preferable to the ADCO?

Thanks for the help.

Michigan Dawg
"American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God" - me

Old 05-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #2

I've been told not to cover. The cover will rub on the corners in the wind. I have a 2015 21ss. 3rd camper none where ever covered. Good wax job once and a wile. And wash. All aways looked good.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #3

X2 on no cover. I was going to get one for our 2015 but too many negative posts. Even an employee at an unnamed dealership cautioned against it.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #4

Thanks but I would consider a cover an essential item here in Michigan. Too many wet and snowy days. I always kept my former popup covered and it did a great job of keeping the interior dry in the winter as well as shielding it from any harmful effects of sunlight in the summer.

With the Shamrock, I'll be covering it as well as making sure that it stays washed and waxed.

By the way, my dealership recommends that my Shamrock be covered as well, especially during the winter months.

I do appreciate the advice and cautions, though.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:16 PM   #5

We bought a Shamrock last year, and purchased a cover for it this fall to use while it was stored for the winter. We chose an Adco cover and it fit and worked out great. The camper was under the cover from mid-November until mid-March, and when I uncovered it, the camper was as clean as when it went into storage. You do need to pad anything that might rub on the cover and poke a hole - such as putting old tennis balls on the rain gutters, putting some padding on the TV antenna, etc. Just use common sense and it will work out great. We live just outside of Charlotte, NC, so snow wasn't the concern for us, but rather keeping the sun off the roof for four months. Others may disagree, but I recommend covering.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #6

We are getting a cover for ours....but it will be metal.....
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #7

Southeast Virginia here. We are getting a cover for ours. We purchased our 23ikss in February of 2014. We rent open storage in a city park near our home. I was surprised by the amount of leaf and other material that accumulated. The accumulation on top of the bunk ends and slide outs is really worrisome.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Dawg View Post
I was thinking about trailer covers as I will want to keep the trailer covered when not in use.

To that end I was looking at the ADCO line of Tyvek covers. Reading through some of the old threads re covers it looks like a number of trailer owners employ these as well and I don't recall finding any major reservations concerning same.

It looks like for my particular trailer the ADCO 32841 would be appropriate at it fits trailers from 20'1" to 22'. Can anyone else confirm that this is the correct cover for the 21SS? Does anyone have a cover that they think is preferable to the ADCO?
We cover ours for the winter. If indoor storage isn't an option, I think its the best way to go. I wash it in the fall and put the cover on. No streaks or dirt on it when we uncover it. No fading from sun exposure. Just use a cover made for RV's. Adco is good, or we have a Classic. Make sure its on tight and use tennis balls or something to cover the gutter ends. Any sharp corners like the sewer dump or the stabilizer jacks need to be padded so the cover doesn't rip. And make sure its on nice and tight. We get a lot of wind but the cover stays pretty secure.

Measure the "box" of the trailer when you get it. For our 23IKSS, I have the 20-22' cover and its more than long enough. The adjustable straps take the up the excess, but get the smallest cover that will fit.

Enjoy the new Roo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150222_114847_resized.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	76765  

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
We cover ours for the winter. If indoor storage isn't an option, I think its the best way to go. I wash it in the fall and put the cover on. No streaks or dirt on it when we uncover it. No fading from sun exposure. Just use a cover made for RV's. Adco is good, or we have a Classic. Make sure its on tight and use tennis balls or something to cover the gutter ends. Any sharp corners like the sewer dump or the stabilizer jacks need to be padded so the cover doesn't rip. And make sure its on nice and tight. We get a lot of wind but the cover stays pretty secure.

Measure the "box" of the trailer when you get it. For our 23IKSS, I have the 20-22' cover and its more than long enough. The adjustable straps take the up the excess, but get the smallest cover that will fit.

Enjoy the new Roo!

To add to that I always put rags on the lower corners of the Box or where there is something sharp that on a windy day could cause the cover to tear, just use them on the corners or shape edges under the covers.

I was always told a dealer doesn't cover their units, but what a dealer doesn't do or does will not matter when my unit sits in a cold, snowy, windy, icy North a East NJ I Prefer to protect it and $200-300 is well worth protecting a $19K plus investment 😀

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS
2014 (18) Nights Camp'd
2015 (6) Nights Camp'd

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-13-2015, 07:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
$200-300 is well worth protecting a $19K plus investment 😀

+1 on what Wicked1 said. Ours gets covered for roughly four months out of the year. That's four months without direct exposure to rain, sun and dirt. That has to help keep the roof, decals, seals, etc in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shamrock