Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #1

New to us 2011 Shamrock 233

Hello, thanks for the wealth of information on the forum. We just picked up a 2011 233 with some water damage to the front bunk area. I believe I found the source of the leak along the outer gasket and stopped the water. My question is about the damaged section. About a foot up from the hinge all along the bottom of the door its delaminating and soft. So will it ever dry? Will it continue to rot? Will the bunk fall off the first time we try to use it? How long do you think we have?
TelephoneMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Site Team

without pics it's hard to say.
that's a critical point for supporting weight and i wouldn't sleep on it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #3

Hey, I have a 233 as well. I bought it from new. I discovered that the bunk ends were not shipped with the exterior weather stripping. However this past spring when I opened it up I discovered that the bed was soft. Forest River replaced new bunk end this fall . I just took it home a few days ago and was winterizing it and had to let. The front bunk down. The new mattress was wet. I took the mattress off and put the bunk end up. After a heavy rain over the last two days there is water getting inside on the right as my canvas is wet. This is very frustrating. I did not buy a new TT to have this many problems. I also discovered a leak in my roof where the TV antenna is installed. The shaft that comes down from the roof was kissing the flex washer, a flat washer and an o ring causing small leakages over the last 3 years. Not impressed at all.
mvaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #4

Red face

I will probably need to replace the bunk eventually. I decided to cover it with an Adco cover for the New England winter. Maybe it will dry a bit before it freezes solid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131030_105934.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	42224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131030_105409.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	42225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131030_105810.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	42226  
Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
RV Enthusiast since 1978

I'd contact Forest River directly and get some recommendations and repair options, who knows they may even come up with some $ . As bikendan mentioned it's a critical point that takes a lot of weight..... We had a 2008 Shamrock 233 and originally had short seals near the hinge are that allowed water in. Had it fixed asap and had no further problems. Twice a year I would check all the caulking and sealant points like running lights especially the ones above the bunk doors. Also the bunk doors themselves have a frame along the edge that joins to the gel coat finish....FR uses a clear sealant here that keeps water from getting underneath the frame that could possibly affect the bottom of your bunk door. Check that out as well. Be proactive inspect your 233 2x a year and you will enjoy many years of worry free camping. Good luck with your repairs!

Lou

.....the big rolling turd II is back in the driveway for another season of travels!

Glendale 290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #6

I did send an email off to Greg Rollins at Forest River asking about repair options. Its been almost a week and no response. They run a business and have no warranty obligation to me, but I figured it was worth a shot. Does anyone have any advice about contacting Forest River? I may try to get a price on a new door shipped to me.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Site Team

you could contact parts dept.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, expandable, hybrid, shamrock