Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #1

New with questions!

Husband and I are searching used Roos and Shamrocks in the quad bunk style. We currently have our eye on a 2004 Roo 25 SB and would like feed back on this style! My preference is to keep kiddos in the back in their own room, utilizing the top bunks for extra storage that is out of sight. Hubs preference is getting a hybrid with 3 pop out bunks with super slide for more 'living' space. We have 3 kiddos, age 4, 7, and 15 (he stays in small tent always but puts belongings in current pop up).

We have a 2004 Dodge Durango with brand new replaced 5.7 Hemi this year (darn blown engine), with factory tow.
Can anyone help me figure out what I need in order to safely tow this Roo if we decide to purchase it? We have already ordered an electric brake and would like to know about weight distribution hitches and/or anti sway bar. We have camped in a light weight popup for past 5 years and have no clue about the heavier TT.

Thanks for any advice!!
Aimee
aimee0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #2

You should not need a sway bar with such a small unit, save your money.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
You should not need a sway bar with such a small unit, save your money.

lol. Let the debates begin.

I use an anti-sway + WDH with my pop up and am glad I have it. it keeps things nice and tight behind me. My pop up has a lower profile and is less susceptible to cross winds than you will be. I would recommend you use a WDH and anti sway as well. Others may disagree. It is just something you will have to decide for yourself.

Can you give us more stats on the unit you want and your TV? Many here tow the 23' hybrids with a durango. Not sure how much more weight the 25' model you want is.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
lol. Let the debates begin.

Vin.
Hello Vin
Ok.....
you need a sway bar.... (for a pop up????)
imo....
you have other issues you should address....

tongue too high or to low from the ball setting?
Weight distribution of stuff in unit unevenly distributed?
Axle skewed?
bad tires or unbalanced?
imo, you have another problem that you are now 'forced' to need a sway bar.
Not a good thing.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #5

You could be right. I may not need one. But I figured it would not hurt to have just in case it gets a bit squirrelly back there. It makes me feel a lot safer driving and to me that is worth any extra I might have paid for the inclusion of the feature with the Equalizer WDH. To me it was money well spent. The OP will be confronted with a similar decision.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
To me it was money well spent. The OP will be confronted with a similar decision.
We should each be very happy to spend someone else's money....

Old 09-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

If you need a wdh, you need some sort of sway control. I've towed from 20'-33' in the last 37+ yrs and always had dual friction sway controls. One does great and 2 work even better and they are NOT expensive. Doesn't make any difference whether it is single axle or dual axle, you need sway control.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #8

Brother Les... This isn't a pop up. It's a travel trailer, I'm sure you'ld agree anti sway is needed on a 25' trailer. I have a 4pt friction on my roo and it works great.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #9

Thank you for all of the replys thus far!

Our TV is a 2004 Dodge Durango with a 5.7 Hemi, tow package already in place.
Specs pulled from Dodge website :
Suspension... Front: independent short/long A-arm with coil springs; Rear: live axle with coil springs and track bar
Tow rating... 8,950 lbs.

I cannot find any specs on the Rockwood that we are looking at, and the seller is at work right now.

I am searching for weight distribution and anti sway bar and have come across this on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-48058...ribution+hitch

But it won't be in before we make the purchase. Can I technically tow with just the tow hitch and correct size ball on my TV just to get it home? It is a 1 hour trip on all highway.
aimee0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #10

For my experience, it costs twice as much, but the equilizer 4pt friction antisway WDH is very easy to hook up and use. It's also one of the best, in most opinions. It also installs on the trailer with no drilling or threading in to it.

As far as driving it home, most here would agree that you should wait the extra few days for the hitch before picking up. Highway is where you want that hitch to help out the most. When the trailer hits a bump or undulation in the road, get passed.by a huge tractor trailer, or move the steering wheel to jerky, you'll be thankful you have the hitch.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibullsAN View Post
Brother Les... This isn't a pop up. It's a travel trailer, I'm sure you'ld agree anti sway is needed on a 25' trailer. I have a 4pt friction on my roo and it works great.

Pulled a 29 footer Mallard for over 10 years.... never needed a sway bar. Would Go down the road straight as a string all day long (and I have pulled it at 70 mph for hundreds of miles on long trips) (not advisable as could be hard on the tranny) (or your engine if it is a Gasser ) . My 35 ft Hemisphere does need sway control. With two slides on the Hemis... I don't think that the unit is balanced weight wise from side to side. imo, Factory balance issue that I must compensate with the sway bars. And no, I am not getting into a bash FR rant. (Loving the Hemis more each day) It is what it is and I am making it work fine. I started out with no sway bars... Moved a bunch side to side, but controllable. Added one sway bar and it settled down very well at speeds of 60 mph. Any speeds more than that, had to keep an eye on it. Bought a new hitch and it came with a sway bar. Added that sway bar and really have no problems and pulls just fine at speeds of 70-75 mph. Just because it pulls fine at those speeds, does not mean I advocate running that fast. 62-64 mph is what I believe is the safest area. I just know now that if I have to go faster on a down hill grade (etc) that it will not get squirrel y on me.

Safety first and always.

If you 'think' that you need a sway bar... get one.. if nothing else, for your peace of mind....

Old 09-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee0508 View Post
Thank you for all of the replys thus far!

Our TV is a 2004 Dodge Durango with a 5.7 Hemi, tow package already in place.
Specs pulled from Dodge website :
Suspension... Front: independent short/long A-arm with coil springs; Rear: live axle with coil springs and track bar
Tow rating... 8,950 lbs.

I cannot find any specs on the Rockwood that we are looking at, and the seller is at work right now.

I am searching for weight distribution and anti sway bar and have come across this on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-48058...ribution+hitch

But it won't be in before we make the purchase. Can I technically tow with just the tow hitch and correct size ball on my TV just to get it home? It is a 1 hour trip on all highway.
The hitch you have in the url will work very well (1,000 pound rating). I have the 1,200 pound rating. It comes with one sway bar and the way the hitch head is set up, you can add another one on the other side in a matter of minutes if need (which I don't think you will) . As for driving home with out the new hitch?... you can very easily, but take it slow. A drive like that will prove to you very quickly to only use your weight distribution hitch from now on......

Happy camping

(and by saying that you can drive with no WDH, goes against my motto: Safety First and Always )

Old 09-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #13

Aimee, the hitch in the link is a similar capacity to the one we use and should be fine. Our Eas-Lift is their Trunnion style design; rather than L shaped bars, straight bars are inserted into a greased trunnion that is permanently attached to the ball assembly. We like this setup as the bars stay clean of grease and are easy to store. Possible disadvantage is the ball and tongue assembly is quite heavy. Here is a catalog link that shows both types...

http://www.camco.net/assets/catalog/eazLiftCatalog.pdf

We considered the Durango for it's towing capacity, which is very impressive. You may wish to check your Durango owners manual for maximum tongue weight. I expect you are OK in this specification as max tongue weight is typically over 10% of the vehicle tow capacity. I expect the tongue weight of the model you are considering is under 800 or 900 lb., although I could not find the trailer specs on line. The seller can provide the numbers for you from tags on the trailer.

One general comment on three bed hybrids. We just replaced our Jayco 23B two bed hybrid with the Roo 233S three bed model. You give up a lot of storage space with the third side bunk. We still really like the new Roo, just pointing out what you have to give up for the third bed. We are really looking forward to the expanded living area though.

HTH
Stu
2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

I personally would not pull any rv tongue trailer of any size without sway control. Better to have it just in case. We've even built stand outs for the sway control on a straight tongue trailer.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #15
cjearle

Our last camper was a 23 ft. We pulled it with and without the sway bar and felt better with the sway bar. Especially in the mountains with truckers and crosswinds. The camper did not sway as much with the sway bar and stabilization bars and we were at that time pulling with a 1500 suburban. Just our opinion. I would try it with out and see what you think but beware once that camper starts to swaying it is a bit scary and could be dangerous. But everyone has their opinions. we preferred the sway bar and still do. Better safe than sorry. I like to enjoy the trip. Good luck with what ever you choose.
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #16
Site Team

There's more to towing than just towing capacity.
The weakness in SUVs is low payload.
You need to check the payload capacity on the door sticker.
Add up your passengers, car cargo and tongue weight and see where you are.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee0508 View Post
We have a 2004 Dodge Durango with brand new replaced 5.7 Hemi this year (darn blown engine), with factory tow....Aimee
Was your replacement Hemi from a salvage or was it a rebuilt one with a warranty? And, how much did it cost?
BTW I got my '11 Ram 2500 for a great price, but it may need a new engine down the road due to some ongoing issues...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #18

Hi aimee0508

Please don't tow either trailer without a wdh. A dealer wouldn't let you leave their lot (I believe its illegal with trailers over 2000 lbs). The weight of the trailer (either one) combined with the tongue weight will make your durango bounce crazier than a ride at 6 flags. Borrow a wdh from a friend if you can (I did to get my 22 footer home/ I am a two time Durango owner. 2002 which towed a 10ft pup and a 22 ft hybrid. You should have no issues with pulling either of those two trailers. Currently have an 08 pulling a 24 ft roo. Neither have/had sway bars. I've found as long as you load them properly, the trucks can handle them ok. Using a sway controller is cheap enough (if not built into your wdh like the Equalizer).
Old 09-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #19

aimee0508, I also have a Durango with the 5.7 Hemi. My travel trailer is only 21 1/2 feet. I would never tow without the WD/anti sway hitch. I have towed a friend's trailer a few times without an anti sway hitch and it was terrible. I have the Equalizer 4 way WD/anti sway unit and believe it is worth every cent in comfort and safety. I took my trailer to Alaska and back last summer and never had any problems with semis, winds or mountains. Believe me, you will feel more comfortable.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #20

I don't even liked being hooked up without the wdh hooked up.....as I don't like all that extra weight on my rear leaf springs. Couldn't imagine being on the road without it... Use it!!
2010 Expedition EL Limited 3:73 with Air Suspension
Roocrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote