Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #1

Newbee had a blowout

I want to start by saying a friend told me about this site and I have gotten some great knowledge from some of you seasoned campers...Thank you!!

On the way back from our first long trip, (about 6 hrs each way) we had a blowout which destroyed the tire. I checked the tire pressure and the berrings before leaving...everything looked good no dryrot and good tread.
My question is should I change all tires to new ones or just replace the tire that blew? The tires are Carlyle prob originals and the rig is a 2004 23b.

The other question I have is there are two switches at the egress door, one works the outside light, does anyone know what the other works?? They are located on the cabinet side next to the cable connection.

Thanks in advance for any help!
kavoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1st of all, welcome to the forum.

Bummer on the blowout, if that is what happened. If you heard the pop, then is was probably a blowout. If you didn't hear anything, then the tire could have lost pressure gradually, and you not realize it was flat until the tire started to shred.

If those are the original tires on a 2004, then you need to replace all of the tires....they were long overdue several years ago.

There should be a date stamp at the end of the DOT code......ie something like 2603......that would be the 26th week of 2003 is when the tires were manufactured.

Here is an example: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11 You may have to look on the back side of the tire for the date code.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #3

welcome. sorry u had problems.

mine made 3 yrs. drove from Greeley Co to well south of Denver before someone started pointing to the trailer. when i pulled over the front left was nothing but cord and the beads. damaged the water proof plastic in the wheel well and the side of the trailer was damaged. was surprised that i couldn't tell i had a problem. no stability issues; wheels were not leaning.
i learned the hard way to change them out every 3 yrs. my tires didn't look bad.
by the way the tread pealed off the one behind it before i made another 300 miles.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Site Team

for that old of tires, i'd replace all of them, especially since they're Carlisle.

as far as the switch, need pics to answer. could be holding tank heaters.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #5

Thanks guys!

I was leaning in that direction as well. Luckily I didn't see any damage, but will look closer at the wheel well. Any suggestions on a brand name that may give me more than 3 or 4 years?
I thought Carlile was a good name?
kavoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavoo View Post
I thought Carlile was a good name?
a simple internet search will tell you otherwise, though i've heard that the newer Carlisles are a decent product.
but they are notorious on RV forums.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #7

I agree with replacing the tires. My Wildwood is only a little over 1 1/2 years old and I just had one of my tires blow, and yes I heard it. The odd thing is that the tire that blew had been my spare. I replaced one that as wearing funny, thinking that the never used spare would be safer. WRONG.!

As for the switch, in my tt I have 2 switches next to the door also. One is for the outside light and the other is for the ceiling light nearest the door. You have to be sure that the light is already turned on to get the switch to control it.

JK
Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Campfire Starter

Are you guys serious, 3 years on a set of tires and replace them? I suffered my first blow out ever on my boat trailer over this last Labor Day. The tires were the orginal bais tires on on my 1986 Baja/Oklahoma trailer. Now I would never recommend 25 years for a set of trailer tires, but how they are kept and monitored should warrant a few more than 3 years. This boat has been kept inside it entire life, very well maintianed. Now I have been carrying a new spare for several years and this is not a heavier camper. But if you care for your tires they be expected to last longer. I did replace the tires on my last camper last year due to they were showing weather checking. It was a 2000 Utah, 10 years on that set, and they were always outside and no covers on them. Most of all keep a close eye on things, neglect will always get you i trouble. I have 4 trailers, and 3 vehicles and if I had to change tires that often I go broke for sure. Kavoo in your case I would probably opt to buy all tires, 6-7 years is not bad, especially on a tire that has a bad rep.

Doug '71 n Deb 'better not'
DS1 '98 DS2 '99 DD '04
2000 Coleman Utah, since '05 replaced with
2011 Rockwood Roo 233s
2002 F150 FX4 SuperCab
Fx4dugan is offline   Reply With Quote