Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #1

Newbie here

We are looking to purchase a new roo or shamrock. Either the 21ss or24ws. While looking at you tube reviews I found several people complaining of leaking when the ends are closed. They seemed to be older posts though. Can anyone tell me if this is a real problem? We really like this trailer and feel every problem has a solution, but wanted real answers nor dealer answers. Also any pros or cons on the 2 units. My husband and my self are buying this with my son, so it could be up to 6 people, including 2 young boys camping together. Thank you in advance.
Dha3249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #2

I have a 2017 233 and have experienced minor leaking on one of the bunk ends. I have noticed it when opening the bunk and I see a little moisture or dirt staining on the tent that indicates water was there. I have never seen a lot to where I am concerned. No water actually inside the camper. I have wondered if the leaking would be worse if we weren't in the drier climate of Colorado.

I have read on here and seen pictures where people have tracked their leaks to the rubber seal around the bunk not being well installed to where there are spaces where the vertical and horizontal seals meet.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
Site Team

The older hybrids had more leak issues than the newer ones.
The pre-attached canvas is better than the old bungee/snaps canvas.
Some of those newbie leak issues were from condensation because they didn't allow for air movement.
Others didn't maintain the door seals or didn't keep the canvas out of the seals, when closing up the bunk door.
Others fail to "season" the canvas seams.
IMHO, only a portion of leaks were manufacturing defects.
But hybrids require more maintenance than a regular TT. The door seals need regular checks, cleaning and using Aerospace 303 on the seals.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
Multi-Slacker

Can't answer your questions but - Welcome from SoCal!
Old 04-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #5

I own a 2009 Roo 23SS. My experience has been little leakage. Typically it was caused by not tucking the canvas in properly. Kept the doors from closing fully. Now, I always check inside to insure nothing is stuck in the doors. Just a side note, my canvas is not attached to the bunk doors either.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #6

Ive got a 2017 233s. I had some water leak into all 3 bunks when new. It was all trapped in the folds of the canvas, and poured out when I opened the bunks.
Nothing made it into the trailer. After inspecting the bunk seals I found they were installed with a gap between the top and side seals allowing water to flow in. I contacted Forrest River and they sent me out enough seal to replace all three bunks. After replacing the bunk seals, I also added gutters above them to divert some of the rain water away. I have not had any leaks since.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #7

Welcome!!!!

2019 24ws here, so far no leaking, as said it was the “older” units that were the worst but it’s only been a year so who knows? I will say you’ll struggle to comfortably sleep 6 in it, unless you like being really close. Or if you plan to leave it setup for sleeping all the time and will spend days doing things.

Don’t get me wrong, we LOVE ours, but it’s us two. I could see two additional people but any more would feel tight.
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:00 PM   #8

Welcome!!
I have a 2018 21SS that was bought in May of 2017. I haven't had any leak issues with the bunks. I zip all windows, turn on the vents and close the door when I close the bunk ends. This provides enough suction to close the bunks ends myself without getting canvas caught in the seals.
On another note, if you want to comfortably sleep 6, get the optional Hide-a-Bed sofa. It folds out to a true RV queen size mattress. The dinette will only sleep 2 smaller children. The same goes for the jackknife sofa. The HAB sofa will sleep 2 adults comfortably. We have camped a few times on long weekends with 4 adults and 4 children while staying comfortable.

21SS Pros:
We LOVE it!!
Tows like a dream and we can take it places that larger RVs can't navigate.
Comfortable with 8 as long as 2 are smaller children.
Sleeping under canvas is like sleeping in a tent. We still hear the owls and coyotes at night.
Large freshwater and holding tanks.
Deer camp can get cold (into the 20s), but still sleep comfortable using the heated mattress.

21SS Cons:
Storage space is somewhat lacking.
The TV is rain-powered (so my kids think), so my kids can get upset because the darn TV never works when it isn't raining.
Griggs_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #9

You cannot "defer" maintenance with travel trailers, especially hybrids with their large exterior doors. I've added extra weather stripping along the top edge of the front bed door of my early-2006 23SS. No leaks. Only leaks I've really had are the running lights on the top edge of both ends. Water enters the light fixtures and seeps out along the metal frame on top of the bed. Easy, but necessary fix.

With 6 people you need a 3-bed model. Dinettes and sofas sleep poorly even for children -- and they're out in the main cabin so these folks can't go to bed early or sleep late. That 3d bed will give the two young boys their own place for all their stuff rather than strewn everywhere. A pair of sleeping bags and their duffels will fit easily -- and you can close the curtains and not see the mess all males of our species make.

The 3-bed 183 weighs 5800 pounds in camping trim; the larger 233 is 6700 pounds. Got a tow vehicle capable of either of those weights? I'd want a ton more max towing capacity based on my experiences so that's 8000 to 9000 pounds towing capacity. You can get by with less but will be shopping for a new tow vehicle rather quickly. Remember anything in the tow vehicle counts against the max towing capacity.

Buy your second camper first. I would find the 183 too small very quickly as the only place to sit on rainy or mosquito evenings is the dinette and these are tight for four folks. The 233 has a sofa and dinette but requires a more capable tow vehicle.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #10

The bunk end latches can be easily adjusted to provide more tension on the gaskets. We have a 2016 Roo 183 and had minor leakage on two of the bunks (not through the canvas into the camper). I adjusted the latches and that corrected the problem. The instructions can be found by doing a search for "roto-vise adjustments".

I also had a problem with the canvas pulling out of the channel around the bed platform. I fixed this using additional screws through the plastic channel and canvas into the platform. You should be able to find pictures and more info by doing a search in the forums.

Even with those issues, we love the camper.
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

The 3-bed 183 weighs 5800 pounds in camping trim; the larger 233 is 6700 pounds. Got a tow vehicle capable of either of those weights? I'd want a ton more max towing capacity based on my experiences so that's 8000 to 9000 pounds towing capacity. You can get by with less but will be shopping for a new tow vehicle rather quickly. Remember anything in the tow vehicle counts against the max towing capacity.

-- Chuck
We tow a 183 with our Explorer Sport. Fully loaded (and fridge stocked with beer) we are right around 4800 pounds (no fresh water). I'm within 100 pounds of rear axle limits and close on GCWR, but not over. We use an Equalizer WDH and it tows very well.

Granted, more towing capacity is always better, but we're happy with the current setup.
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags