Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #1

Newbie question on winterizing

If I choose not to Install a water pump bypass what is the best way to winterize? Should I pour the antifreeze In my fresh water holding tank and use the pump to draw anti freeze into water lines..
logmanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
J. Parham

I have a short piece of hose that I screw on the intake of my water pump that is inserted into my gallon jugs of anti-freeze. Turn on the pump and then open each faucet and flush each toilet. Don't forget the outside shower as well. Also, to save on anti-freeze you want to bypass your hot water tank. I would not advise pouring any anti-freeze into fresh holding tank. Besides the fact it would probably take several gallons for the pump to pick it up I think flushing the tank would be a pain when spring comes along.
Nights Camped in 2012: 85
snjparham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #3

Welcome to the forums!!

It is not a water PUMP bypass it is a water HEATER bypass that should be installed. If you don't install a water heater bypass, you will need an extra 6 or 10 gallons of anti freeze (depending upon the size of your water heater). This is how much anti freeze it would take to fill up your water heater. I would check with whomever you bought the unit from to see if one is installed.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #4

Thanks nice to be aboard
Maybe I didn t use the right words . I have a water heater by pass and understand I works ... I'm talking about he water pump taking the antifreeze directly from the bottle... I believed it was answered I'n the first reply...
Old 08-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by logmanfish View Post
Thanks nice to be aboard
Maybe I didn t use the right words . I have a water heater by pass and understand I works ... I'm talking about he water pump taking the antifreeze directly from the bottle... I believed it was answered I'n the first reply...

You may have to add the little port/valve for where the antifreeze siphon tube connects on the input side of the pump. I would think since you already have the bypass, the port/valve is there as well.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #6

I use compressed air and blow out the lines, haven't used antifreeze for two years except to pour down the drains to protect the p traps
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor
I use compressed air and blow out the lines, haven't used antifreeze for two years except to pour down the drains to protect the p traps
Can you explain how you blow the lines out ... Do you find that to be more effective?