Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

No problems till now

We have a 2015 Roo 21Dk. Only got to use it a couple times last summer then had to winterize it. This year it has had lots of use ( 6 outings so far) with no trouble. Till 2 days ago. We were in the Boston area for a week with friends when the toilet stopped holding water after my DH emptied the black tank. He used the long handled wand thru the toilet to clean out the tank as the sensor still said 1/3 full. We had to make trips to the bathhouse. Then the handle on the screen door broke off and we had to force it open with a screwdriver and put duct tape over it so the piece that goes in the hole to keep it closed wouldn't work. So now of course the screen won't stay close. Then when we were setting up at a campground in PA on the way home the over over the cable/satellite hookup on the outside broke off. None of the problems except the toilet are big but all happening at once is strange. As far as the toilet goes we're not sure if it the gasket or something more. As my husband was emptying the tank he saw a piece of white plastic go thru the clear elbow. Anyone have a similar problem with the toilet?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #2

What do you mean, "the toilet won't hold water"? The bowl or the holding tank won't hold water. I never have standing water in the bowl. Is this supposed to have water in it? My old trailer never had standing water either.
2015 ikss
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

I thought you should have a bit of water in the bowl to help seal out odors. Mine always has some water in it, at least a couple of inches.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by syogerst View Post
What do you mean, "the toilet won't hold water"? The bowl or the holding tank won't hold water. I never have standing water in the bowl. Is this supposed to have water in it? My old trailer never had standing water either.
2015 ikss
Yes there should be a small amount of water in the toilet. RV toilets (most) do not have a "P" trap like your house that uses water as a gas/odor block from the plumbing, the water does the same for the black water tank. My toilet even has a sticker telling you to pull the handle part way to allow water to enter without opening the dump valve.
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #5

I'll give that a try. Never knew anything about this and I've several trailers over the last 12 years. Thanks!
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I think the OP is speaking of the dump valve in the toilet itself. That was the white piece of plastic dumped along with waste. Either buy a new toilet or if under warranty they supply a new toilet.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #7

I also use a wand, through the toilet bowl, to clean the black tank while emptying it. The last time I did this, I noticed when I got home there wasn't any water in the toilet bowl (as there should be to prevent odors and to help flush waste). I then lifted the flapper and took a look at the black rubber seal, that the flapper sits against, in the toilet bowl and found it wasn't completely seated for a good seal. I reached in and worked the seal back where it belonged. I then added some water to the bowl and the seal now works once again. The seal must have dislodged when hit by the wand while I was cleaning the black tank.
https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

Here's the replacement screen door handle. A friend snapped ours off this summer. Fortunately, it is a quick and inexpensive fix. I actually ordered two so I have a spare. I can see it happening again.

Amazon.com: RV Designer E285 Black Screen Door Latch: Automotive

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Yes there should be a small amount of water in the bowel after flushing. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #10

Always keep a small amount of water in the toilet bowl even when in storage.
This keeps the seals from drying out. When I winterize, I put about a cup of RV antifreeze in the toilet bowl. Sometimes, I have had the water seep out. When this happens, I will clean the seals using an old tooth brush. I tie a string to the handle of the tooth brush so that if I have an oops moment and drop the toothbrush, I can retrieve it.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatkinsGlenCamper View Post
I also use a wand, through the toilet bowl, to clean the black tank while emptying it. The last time I did this, I noticed when I got home there wasn't any water in the toilet bowl (as there should be to prevent odors and to help flush waste). I then lifted the flapper and took a look at the black rubber seal, that the flapper sits against, in the toilet bowl and found it wasn't completely seated for a good seal. I reached in and worked the seal back where it belonged. I then added some water to the bowl and the seal now works once again. The seal must have dislodged when hit by the wand while I was cleaning the black tank.
I had the same thing happen last weekend myself at my park model.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #12

Wow. I've had my trailer for a year and didn't know to leave a bit of water in the toilet while in storage. I'll have to remember to pour a bit in tonight when I get home.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #13

Water in Toilet Bowl Use Silicone

A little spray of silicone on the rubber gasket from time to time helps keep the seal fresh. The seal on our houseboat toilet always seems to leak, but the one in our Roo is still holding water after 6 years. Oxidation is what kills rubber, and the water in the bowl and/or silicone help prevent that.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #14

One more question. Whose toothbrush do you use, your DWs or yours?
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #15

Before storing the RV for the cold weather of January and February a good cleaning of the toilet seal and a coat of faucet silicone grease seems to do well. Did this for several years on our previous 5r and never a problem holding water.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #16
Summer2Go

Brand new Roo, and the toilet never holds water. Do I have a warranty issue, or can it be fixed? We don't like the TV bathroom smells. Thought we were using the wrong chemical.

Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #17
Summer2Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
Brand new Roo, and the toilet never holds water. Do I have a warranty issue, or can it be fixed? We don't like the TV bathroom smells. Thought we were using the wrong chemical.

Sorry, auto correct; RV.

Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
Sorry, auto correct; RV.

I think the smells are from the lack of a seal from the toilet. The toilet should hold a few inches of water. New trailer, warranty issue I would think. Yes it can and should be fixed.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #19

I can tell you what I did and it worked great for the toilet seal. I just used a standard toilet brush, I opened the valve and worked the seal up and down with the brush while the water was running through it. There should be some standing water in the bowl at all times, Obviously winter calls for the rv anti freeze but something should always be there. If not chances are good your seal will dry out and not hold any water at all. this can also be corrected using the brush. Happy camping.
Purdyquibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #20

I bought a new toilet after mine stopped working. After having it for a couple of months the water started leaking out of the bowl, so I took it back to the dealer I bought the toilet from, they took it in to look at it and charged me $65 to fix it they said it just needed maintenance they gave me a sheet that says( open flash valve stick your finger down the hole and wipe the seal with your finger, to clean it, then take some vaseline and smear it on the seal) Now when I clean the toilet I open the valve and use the brush to clean it and I have not had any problems since.
Ditchdigger is offline   Reply With Quote