Old 05-27-2016, 12:17 PM   #11

The water pump fills the hot water tank from the main tank. How would water get to the hot water tank first?

Old 05-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
The water pump fills the hot water tank from the main tank. How would water get to the hot water tank first?
No idea. I just that's the way it worked. I'll let the pump run a bit and see what happens

Edit: I don't recall having to turn my pump on and run it for a bit before checking the heater in the past though
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s GVWR #6402
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
I used it in February last time. It's been parked since. I'm wondering if my sensors are inaccurate and my fresh water tank isn't full, which would possibly mean the water heater hasn't been filled as well. Like I said, I was under the impression the hot water heater would be filled before the fresh water tank
But... you said you had water coming out the faucets?
When drawing from the fresh water tank, (or hooked to city water) the water system doesn't care if it is supplying water to the water heater or a cold water line.

But without the water heater being full and allowing water to eventually come out the faucet, there are only two ways I know water could come out the hot faucets without the water heater being full... 1. The bypass valves on the water heater are set incorrectly or... 2. The outside shower faucets are both on and the shut-off on the shower head is closed allowing water to flow from one side (cold) to the other. (hot)
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=8
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #14

Please keep us posted on solution.
Thanks.
We are heading out in a few for the 1st time and I want to make sure we have hot water.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
I used it in February last time. It's been parked since. I'm wondering if my sensors are inaccurate and my fresh water tank isn't full, which would possibly mean the water heater hasn't been filled as well. Like I said, I was under the impression the hot water heater would be filled before the fresh water tank

Your last sentence above is a bit confusing to me. If you are filling the fresh water tank, you must turn on the water pump after you've completed the fill and open either the relief valve on the heater or a hot water facet or two in the RV to get the HWH to fill.
If your using water from a city water spicket, you will fill the HWH by opening the relief valve or a hot water facet inside the RV.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #16

Well it's working after running the pump for a few minutes. Thanks for the replies and help. Weird that I don't recall ever having to run the pump prior to checking if the heater had water. Maybe I've always ran the pump for other reasons and checked the heater after.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s GVWR #6402
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:05 PM   #17

Glad you got it operating. Perhaps before you were connected to city water rather than using the fresh water tank. The city water system would then provide the water pressure rather than your water pump. Glad you got it...enjoy the holiday weekend!
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #18

If I fill my hot water tank from the fresh water tank I have to turn on the pump and fill the tank. It takes a long time to pump 10 gallons.

Bill
Old 09-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #19

My fresh water tank sensor showing full even after draining tank. I know black and Gray tanks are off but fresh has always worked.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #20
rbq

Open a hot water tap in the kitchen sink when you turn on the pump. You should hear air moving through until the hot water tank is full at which time water should start to flow. Remember that the water is being pumped from the fresh water tank & then pushed into the water heater as long as the valves haven't been changed. You said that the last time used was February. For many of us in the northern climes our RV's would still be winterized with the valves in the winter position. Then when we dewinterize we have to change the valves back to normal operation.

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater