Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #1

No weight when SO is in closed position?

Well we had our PDI yesterday for our new 21SS. Overall things went really well. A few drawers needed to be adjusted to close straight, and a chip in the door near the handle needed to be repaired, but that was all we found. When we were doing the walk around, I was surprised that the dealer told us to be careful when the slideout is in the closed position and never step on it. Also, we couldn't put too much storage on the dinette area because of the weight on the closed SO. I was a bit surprised to hear this. This eliminated any possibility of turtling with the SO in, and cuts down on storage. Anyone else hear this?
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #2

My dealer told me the same thing during my walk through, and I also found this strange. When the slide out closes, you will see the front edge left up just before it hits the final closed position. If you put pressure/weight on the front edge, the whole slide out flexes. I've stood on it by mistake when loading things up, and the caulk bead from the top of the booth seat to the wall separated and you can see the booth seat flex ALOT if you step on the edge. I load up storage compartment which of course is on the far side of the slide out, and don't put much weight on the drawer side. I store items on top of the collapsed dinette, but try to keep the weight down. I definitely would not attempt to sleep on the bench without the slide out in the closed position, but that's my opinion. So far, no noticeable problems other than the separated caulk.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
2014 Runaway Navigator
2013 GMC Yukon XL
husky family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #3

Wow, we were never told that. I haven't heard that before, we will have to be more careful I guess.

2015 Shamrock 233S
2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
jmh1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #4

You mean I have to unload everything in my kitchen cabinets before sliding it in and store them elsewhere till we get set up then repack the kitchen?
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #5

In our PDI, we were told not to step on the EDGE of the slide out when it is not fully extended as there is little support under it so it could break the edge. Never heard not to step on the whole thing. I know I have sat on the couch and at the table with the slide in. Never noticed a problem but now you have me wondering.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
In our PDI, we were told not to step on the EDGE of the slide out when it is not fully extended as there is little support under it so it could break the edge. Never heard not to step on the whole thing. I know I have sat on the couch and at the table with the slide in. Never noticed a problem but now you have me wondering.
This is what I was told, we store blankets and what not under the sofa/bed but we do not walk on the slide when it is in.

just enough room to slide by to get to the bathroom if the need arises while on the road.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
I was surprised that the dealer told us to be careful when the slideout is in the closed position and never step on it. Also, we couldn't put too much storage on the dinette area because of the weight on the closed SO. Anyone else hear this?
Our 23IKSS has the same SS as yours. During the PDI, the tech invited my son to ride on it while he was closing it!!! I am pretty sure that is a terrible idea, but I store a lot of heavy stuff in the dinette and have never had any issues. The side has to come up over the floor of the trailer, so you don't want the slide to scratch the floor and you don't want to step on the edge of the slide when it is pulled in because there is nothing supporting the edge. I think you need to be careful, but you can still use the dinette for storage and stepping near the couch when its pulled in shouldn't hurt anything - I've done it.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for their feedback. Sounds like as long as we are careful to not step on the edge we should be okay.
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
Agreed. The if you stand on the EDGE of the slide out when closed (at least on my 233s), the slide out will flex - to me, flex = bad. Only my booth dinette is in my slide out, so that is really the only place to stand. I can't say if other floor plans with kitchens or other stuff will do the same.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
2014 Runaway Navigator
2013 GMC Yukon XL
husky family is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight