Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #1

Noisy Furnance

During our simple, 2-night break in with our new IKSS this past week we turned on the furnace simply to burn off any "new furnace" residue and to see if it works. It was going fine for about 3 minutes then it started making a noise like something was in the fan. Same thing happened the next morning when I had called our dealer and held my phone next to it so the service guy could hear it. He had me tow it to the dealership so they could look at it. You know the rest of the story. I couldn't reproduce the problem. Argh! What they did do is show me how to remove the panel and access the heater if it should happen again. We'll see the next time we take it out.
drhroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Could have been a small piece of debris caught in the fan area. Worked out after traveling maybe. Hope it's fine now. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #3

maybe a dead mouse? dont laugh,ours was delivered with at least 1 live mouse in the basement and enough poop to start a fertilizer factory.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #4

Ours came with a mouse too. Might be a leaf or something. You need to watch the fan in action to figure it out. You might need to stick a vacuum hose down the closest vent.
Honda eu3000 Generator
2015 Nights Camped : 37
2014 Nights Camped : 33
Quasipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #5

Or a wasp hive. Sorry
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Or a wasp hive. Sorry
Ha ha! Thanks. If it is a wasp hive I'll just let it run and run and kill those little buggers.

I did put the screens on the heater vents, water heater panel holes and the two refrig panels this weekend. I have bumper ends coming this week that I picked up on Amazon. I'm sure they can find other places to make nests but at least I eliminated some of the obvious ones.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhroo View Post
During our simple, 2-night break in with our new IKSS this past week we turned on the furnace simply to burn off any "new furnace" residue and to see if it works. It was going fine for about 3 minutes then it started making a noise like something was in the fan. Same thing happened the next morning when I had called our dealer and held my phone next to it so the service guy could hear it. He had me tow it to the dealership so they could look at it. You know the rest of the story. I couldn't reproduce the problem. Argh! What they did do is show me how to remove the panel and access the heater if it should happen again. We'll see the next time we take it out.
Had same problem with ours. Once it ran for a bit it would make a very bad noise like something was vibrating.
It had something loose on the fan,iirc it was a balancer weight.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhroo View Post
Ha ha! Thanks. If it is a wasp hive I'll just let it run and run and kill those little buggers.

I did put the screens on the heater vents, water heater panel holes and the two refrig panels this weekend. I have bumper ends coming this week that I picked up on Amazon. I'm sure they can find other places to make nests but at least I eliminated some of the obvious ones.
I had a nest of wasps in the ultra breeze vent cover for the bathroom fan last summer. They couldn't get all the way into the tt but the DW still didn't like where they were.
Ultra breeze makes a screen for their covers, but I just cut some screen to fit the existing grille and epoxied it on to keep the little buggers from making another nest.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #9

There is a dirt dauber screen, camco, amazon. Prevents them from coming in and building on the fan.
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #10

Problem Fixed - By Dealer

It ends up the reason for the noise in our furnace had to do with how the furnace was assembled by Suburban. Apparently the "squirrel cage" location is somewhat variable (probably with bolts that have adjustable holes to go through so you can fine tune the location?).

In any case, the tech at our dealership had heard the same sound, albeit much sooner, on a couple of new trailers with Suburban furnaces. He recognized it right away. (Yes, I was able to reproduce it at the dealership! ) To fix the problem he had to remove the furnace - not an easy task on the 23IKSS as there is no access from the outside and where they put it would be tough for even a squirrel to access!

Once he had access to the furnace he readjusted the position of the squirrel cage so that it would not hit whatever it was hitting. Problem solved.