Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #1

Non-functional slide on 233S

I picked up a new 233s on Saturday. We were very excited, and immediately opened it up and tried it out. We have three kids and slept out overnight (even though it dropped down to 30 degrees!). Over the next few days, my wife was showing it off to some friends, and opened and closed the slideout 3-4 times with no problem. On Monday (2 days after we brought it home) she went to slide it in to close up the trailer, and the mechanism just cycled without moving the slider. We confirmed it is not a battery or power issue - it just won't move. We called Forest River's roadside assistence, and they helped manually retracting it, but said it seems the gear is ground down. Now we have to drive 50 miles to get it repaired, and the repair place is suggesting it was caused by overdriving the slider when it was already closed.

My question is - has any body else experienced a similar problem? Isn't there a clutch to stop the motor from engaging once it reaches the proper position? I admit, it isn't possible to stop it while opening until you hear the motor change sounds, but I would think this is designed for.
geoffkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #2

With this slide and the other slide we had in our previous trailer we listen to the motor but really watch the slide itself more. I crawled under ours after we took delivery and the slide gear mechanism is very similar to Genie Garage door opener with a screw drive. I did not pay alot of attention to determine if the motor has a clutch or not, but I almost suspect not.

Do you have kids? I ask because maybe one of them ran this to hard...it seems to me unless the gear is brass and the shaft is steel, but it seems to me you would see excessive wear on the drive shaft too...do you? Maybe they put a softer metal gear in it to save the motor in such cases? Just thinking...good luck and sorry...
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Site Team

i have a 12' superslide on my Roo 23SS. it's the biggest on any of the Roo hybrids.
i have never had any problems in the 5+ years i've owned. the second the motor starts to "ratchet", i let go of the switch. holding it longer can damage the gears.

and i've read of others, who have kids, found out that they had been playing with the slide and caused damage.
not saying that's what happened but many make sure that there's no power to the switch to prevent little hands from fooling with it. or they put a switch guard over it.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i have a 12' superslide on my Roo 23SS. it's the biggest on any of the Roo hybrids.
i have never had any problems in the 5+ years i've owned. the second the motor starts to "ratchet", i let go of the switch. holding it longer can damage the gears.

and i've read of others, who have kids, found out that they had been playing with the slide and caused damage.
not saying that's what happened but many make sure that there's no power to the switch to prevent little hands from fooling with it. or they put a switch guard over it.
When we were at the dealer looking at our 233s, they told me to hold in the button to make sure it was all the way in, even though I heard the clicking. PITA people, they are driving me nuts now. Our walk through sucked too.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s