Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
cogito ergo moo
 
Cowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Imperial (St. Louis) MO
Posts: 2,326
I dunno. Maybe I have a different attitude. So far on my new 21ssl, I have had to fix a speaker that wasn't working, tighten up a fitting on the water pump, remove a blockage from the aerator on the kitchen sink and tweak the screen door to close properly.

I am fully aware that despite all the proclamations about "quality", my trailer, just like your or anyone else's was put together just as quickly and just as cheaply as possible. With that being said, I fully expected something to be wrong, and I wasn't surprised.

Now, it could be argued, (and one would be completely in the right) that we paid good money and should expect zero defects. However, adopting that line of thinking will surely drive you stark-raving crazy, with little or no gain.

I prefer to think of it this way. I did not pay FR for perfection. I cannot afford perfection. If I could, I probably would have gotten an airstream or something (and I am not sure if even they qualify). I paid FR a reasonable amount and I got a reasonable product. I had to do a total of about an hour and a half of very very minor repairs that are now done.

No arguing with anyone. No heated phone calls. No aggravation or trying to navigate the FR corporate tree. My blood pressure is low. My countenance... serene. To me, it was well worth just fixing these things myself and moving on, than to getting wound up and angry over something that on the whole really aint that big of a thing.

Of course, if something big occurred (like the gentleman with the cracked skylight) you can bet your bippy that I would pour all over FR like maple syrup. But for now, I will adopt a very dude-like position of taking it easy.

Tim
__________________

__________________
FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 20124444444444My Project Blog: https://cowracer.blogspot.com/
2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss44444444"And Cowracer is right..." - Bikendan
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
sherdep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saint Cloud FL
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQMoore View Post
Dealer is RV Direct. Were going to place another call to FR tomorrow.
this is why I bought from a local dealer - so when they (Dealer) recieved the trailer from the factory they would fix the issues before it was delivered to me.

Hopefully they will get you taken care of your Service issues

to the OP to whom ever you talk to on the phone - keep your cool and be level headed - you will get farther with honey then being nasty and will get more accomplished
__________________

__________________
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 68
Hahahahahaha....Before you fix the hw heater, how bout filming the flames shooting out the side. See if you can get them out about 10ft this time.
__________________
novaken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
Member
 
ResQMoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I dunno. Maybe I have a different attitude. So far on my new 21ssl, I have had to fix a speaker that wasn't working, tighten up a fitting on the water pump, remove a blockage from the aerator on the kitchen sink and tweak the screen door to close properly.

I am fully aware that despite all the proclamations about "quality", my trailer, just like your or anyone else's was put together just as quickly and just as cheaply as possible. With that being said, I fully expected something to be wrong, and I wasn't surprised.

Now, it could be argued, (and one would be completely in the right) that we paid good money and should expect zero defects. However, adopting that line of thinking will surely drive you stark-raving crazy, with little or no gain.

I prefer to think of it this way. I did not pay FR for perfection. I cannot afford perfection. If I could, I probably would have gotten an airstream or something (and I am not sure if even they qualify). I paid FR a reasonable amount and I got a reasonable product. I had to do a total of about an hour and a half of very very minor repairs that are now done.

No arguing with anyone. No heated phone calls. No aggravation or trying to navigate the FR corporate tree. My blood pressure is low. My countenance... serene. To me, it was well worth just fixing these things myself and moving on, than to getting wound up and angry over something that on the whole really aint that big of a thing.

Of course, if something big occurred (like the gentleman with the cracked skylight) you can bet your bippy that I would pour all over FR like maple syrup. But for now, I will adopt a very dude-like position of taking it easy.

Tim
I guess with more than 10 years experience with two different pop-up campers and never having any issues like the kind of issues I've been having I've been lucky. Like I mentioned before I guess its part of the camping experience having to tweak things. I'll take the blame on that one- I'll call myself naive. Point taken. I'll see how the phone call goes tomorrow. And I'll remain calm, which is hard for an Irish-Italian (sorry trying to defuse the situation with humor)




Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
this is why I bought from a local dealer - so when they (Dealer) recieved the trailer from the factory they would fix the issues before it was delivered to me.

Hopefully they will get you taken care of your Service issues

to the OP to whom ever you talk to on the phone - keep your cool and be level headed - you will get farther with honey then being nasty and will get more accomplished
The local dealers I have around me have great service (which is whom I will be having take care of my trailer from now on) but we had terrible experiences with their sales people. I'm hoping I have a success with FR on the phone tomorrow- and I'm going to ask more questions than anything and not get angry)


Quote:
Originally Posted by novaken1 View Post
Hahahahahaha....Before you fix the hw heater, how bout filming the flames shooting out the side. See if you can get them out about 10ft this time.
Heater is already fixed... not an experience I want to have again haha.
__________________
2012 Keystone Passport Express Super Lite 235EXP (Equal-i-zer)
2012 Forest River Rockwood Roo 21SS(Reese Dual cam) (broken)
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3L 3.73(G80) Z82 Z85
Whelen warning setup, VHF/UHF radio, CIPA slip on mirrors & brakeman compact
ResQMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQMoore View Post
We haven't even owned our Roo 21SS for a year and we have had to make many repairs and get replacement parts.

-The screen door latch and handle came damaged- I had to tighten down the handle assembly and pull out the latch on the frame with a pair of pliers to get the screen door to latch. Should have been done right in the first place.

-Our first camping trip the propane system failed due to a pressure problem from the gas line causing the water heater, upon ignition, to shoot 5' flames out the side of the camper. Should not have had that problem coming new, never mind the safety hazard.

-Sink was leaking, had to crawl under sink and tighten connections. (should have been done right in the first place)

-Shower head was broken had to replace ourselves at our expenditure.

-under carriage drain valves were improperly installed and were leaking. Fixed at the same time as the propane by a 3rd party RV repair specialist. Should have come working in the first place.

Is my trailer a lemon and is the level of service I can continue to expect?
We are not alone... Close encounters of the low quality finishing. And we complain that no one is buying American or Canadian.
our 2012 Salem had a major window trim piece almost fly off the trailer coming out of Mass. 2 days after taking ownership.
Awning clips had no springs to lock into place. That was early Sept 2011.
oct we had the dead bolt lock seize and i had to crawl through the front hatch and up from under the bed to disconnect.

4 tires burnt off in 2000 miles. and most recently (2nd camping trip last weekend since we took ownership) the galley drain was noticed to be one full pipe length out of alignment - cracked at the collar of an elbow. An 82 year old camper beside me noticed it draining on the ground.
Still waiting on about 1300$ of repairs I had to pay for up front 9 months ago.
Doesn't say much for service does it.
__________________
09 Sundance 31.5 XLT Bunkhouse
17 Greywolf 22rr Toy Hauler
and
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
lol going from a pop up to a tt is a whole new ball game .

By the way if you dont have one get one asap you need it .
DIGITAL volt / ohm meter . trust me on this one .
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #17
Member
 
ResQMoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
lol going from a pop up to a tt is a whole new ball game .

By the way if you dont have one get one asap you need it .
DIGITAL volt / ohm meter . trust me on this one .
Have one along with AC voltage Detector (had some sketchy powerboxes), IR Thermometer, propane leak detector (just the spray, nothing too fancy), and hand tools. All great equipment to have.
__________________
2012 Keystone Passport Express Super Lite 235EXP (Equal-i-zer)
2012 Forest River Rockwood Roo 21SS(Reese Dual cam) (broken)
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3L 3.73(G80) Z82 Z85
Whelen warning setup, VHF/UHF radio, CIPA slip on mirrors & brakeman compact
ResQMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQMoore View Post
Have one along with AC voltage Detector (had some sketchy powerboxes), IR Thermometer, propane leak detector (just the spray, nothing too fancy), and hand tools. All great equipment to have.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I can feel your pain in some respect as I have had minor issues and problems .
BUT I bought through a Dealer whom I could trust and that was close to take of these issues promptly . RV direct had they done a proper pdi should have caught most if not all.
AS a buyer you need to protect yourself but doing a proper and complete pdi which would have included running the hw heater BEFORE delivery .
While forest river may have not caught these issues and RV direct is the next in line to catch anything THEY missed and you and you only should fine tooth comb your unit before you take delivery "PRE-INSPECTION DELIVERY" is in place for a reason .
although donn was a little rash he does have a point to some extent .
when you buy from and internet wholesaler you cant expect to much .

sounds like you need to find a local authorized dealer to do warranty repairs but heres the catch THEY have the right to put you at the end of the line and are not obligated to even work on your unit since you did not buy it from them .
sometimes it pays to buy from not only a local dealer but not a wholesaler such as rv direct .
I hope you get your issues resolved quickly and promptly and you have a great summer.
Ron
These are Travel Trailers,buying from a local dealer does not help when you are on a long trip.Like you said they are not required to work on any unit. I am glad truck dealers dont have this policy. Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 201
"Dealer is RV Direct."
-----------------------
'nuff said
__________________

__________________
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
law, led pad, lemon, roo problems, warranty

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.