Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Member
 
Zsnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Amissville, Va.
Posts: 40
Of Chocks and Blocks

Hi All,

I got two questions.

First off, I have observed (and followed like a lemming) people have their stabilizers resting on large wooden blocks. Someone told me that this is because that places less stress on the sissors jack. I say, Bull. If the company that made the camper thought that you would need to shorten the distance between jack and ground they would have supplied blocks of some sort. I think that it is just more convenient to jack up and down six inches than the whole 18 (or whatever) to the ground.

Am I correct?

Second, I have observed campers that stay year after year in the same spot with chocks in front of and behind the wheels. Now, bear in mind, this is on units that have their stabilizers down. What are the chances of a camper rolling out of place with the stabilizers down?

Just asking. :-)
__________________

__________________
Zsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Experienced Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: My house, sometimes my camper
Posts: 282
I have the yellow legos under each stabilizing jack to reduce the distance I have to crank. A pleasant side effect is reduced (perceived) wiggle in the camper. A smaller "lever" moves less.

I chock my wheels front and back not only to reduce the chance of the trailer "rolling away" but to limit the forward and back movement leading to the above wiggle. I back the trailer into place, then move up a few inches and then back the trailer onto the chocks, then chock in front. Puts tension on both limiting the movement.
__________________

__________________

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
Hi All,

I got two questions.

First off, I have observed (and followed like a lemming) people have their stabilizers resting on large wooden blocks. Someone told me that this is because that places less stress on the sissors jack. I say, Bull. If the company that made the camper thought that you would need to shorten the distance between jack and ground they would have supplied blocks of some sort. I think that it is just more convenient to jack up and down six inches than the whole 18 (or whatever) to the ground.

Am I correct?

Second, I have observed campers that stay year after year in the same spot with chocks in front of and behind the wheels. Now, bear in mind, this is on units that have their stabilizers down. What are the chances of a camper rolling out of place with the stabilizers down?

Just asking. :-)
Don't use blocks unless the jacks won't reach the ground and never use chocks on the ground. I use the Bal X Chocks that lock between and on the tires. Also use stab jacks that are bolted to the tube in front of the axles to minimize any movement. This is in additon to the homemade stabilizers going from the frame on one side to the jack pad on the opposite side. Stops all movement.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Gjfournier48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Hello,

I place 4"x4" blocking and a 1'x1'x3/4" piece of plywood under all of my jacks to help prevent them from sinking into the ground. It has nothing to do with the amount I have to crank it down.

The wheel chocks in front/behind the tire is a safety feature. Once the camper is stabilized, there still could be slight movement, which in turn could bend your stabilizers, if you don't have wheel chocks. I use X-Chocks and love them.
__________________
Gjfournier48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,365
The further you extend your scissor jacks the less stable they become. In my experience it helps to place blocks under them to shorten how far they're extended and provide more strength.
__________________
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri
The further you extend your scissor jacks the less stable they become. In my experience it helps to place blocks under them to shorten how far they're extended and provide more strength.
X2
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Rugged Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,098
It's all about reducing the distance to lower the jacks for me. Nothing more, nothing less.
__________________
Terry/Bernadette
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Member
 
Zsnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Amissville, Va.
Posts: 40
Thanks all for your input. Never thought of the chocks affecting the stability of the camper.
__________________
Zsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
Alleged curmudgeon
 
Vern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 550
Seems pretty obvious to me that the stabilizer jacks have a better base (more stable) when NOT fully extended, so I use a 6x6 under each.
__________________
Lee
2013 Windjammer 3008W
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0L w/Equalizer 4
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern
Seems pretty obvious to me that the stabilizer jacks have a better base (more stable) when NOT fully extended, so I use a 6x6 under each.
Ditto
__________________

__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.