Old 02-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #11
Well, I assume a full inspection, instructional walkthru, cleaning. Otherwise I think it is pretty much hitch and go and they are simply a place to pick it up. I know it is common for these things to arrive with issues so there is value.

I get the battery and propane fill either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

RPod 183g
2013 F150 FX4 EB
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #12
You might want to consider getting your own battery. I prefer AGM batteries because they don't leak/vent and have a much lower self discharge rate when just sitting in the camper. They also have a higher amp hour rating for the same size as lead/acid as well as a 3 year free replacement. They are, however, a little more expensive. I got a credit on my PDI because I was supplying my own battery.

Les & Heidi Kramer
2010 GMC Sierra SLE & 2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Cleveland, OH
cpd1343 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #13
waste of money

I believe that this extra PDI cost should be included with the purchase be a cheap skate, isn't it all under warranty anyway? If it breaks, you can always take it to someone to fix it under that warranty?
Dfulton56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
My dealer did not charge for PDI, gave us a free battery, free propane and even a full tank of water to test systems with. They showed us everything and set the hitch as well for free. I guess it is different in Corporate Camping Dealer culture with add ons.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #15
Ok here's the deal. Every dealer has to make x number of dollars on everything they sell or they will go out of business. They have a massive overhead with insurance, payroll, taxes etc. So if they have to reduce their selling price in order to be competitive with an internet dealer they have to make it up somewhere else. $400.00 is really not that big a deal in the big picture. I have never heard of a dealer not doing a complete PDI. There are always things to adjust, tighten, a gas system to check, electrical, 12 volt etc.. Be assured that there is no such thing as free. If you are getting a lower price after eliminating all the dealers who refuse to deal at all, you are going to be shortchanged somewhere else. It's all simple economics and math. If you are spending $20,000 for a trailer and you have to pay an additional 2% to get it properly serviced it's a no brainer.
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #16
I don't disagree that you have to make your money somewhere. But it sounds like this $400 charge is for stuff that SHOULD be part of the purchase price. If it's being done just to get you to buy from them rather than another dealer, then adding it back on for the "PDI," then I would call it "bait and switch." Otherwise, it's like selling a car with no air in the tires and no gas in the tank.

I would rather pay $XXX for my trailer with it complete and ready to roll when I pick it up than pay $XXX-400 only to find out it's NOT ready to roll.

In either case, it seems to me like a very negative thing to do, once word gets out.
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
I just want to thank the great members of this forum (especially geo!) for the great feedback on my many questions regarding leaking, towing, floorplans, etc.

Yesterday we put down the deposit and ordered our 2015 21DK. We went with the hickory, wood look floors, metropolitan interior in the sapphire package. Power awning and tongue jack, night shades and raised panel fridge but skipped the thermo windows, stainless, heated tanks and and AC upgrade. I am really excited this long research journey is over. Thanks so much everyone!

CampingWorld of Cedar Falls was amazing. I have dealt with over a dozen dealerships in Iowa and I am sort of surprised to hear myself saying they have been the best to work with. They did try and add in some pretty hefty PDI charges but they made it right when I pushed back.

Here is a question for the group and keep in mind this is not my first camper so I am familiar with winterizing and water heater, etc. Would you pay 400 for a full PDI treatment and detail versus just propane, battery and hook-n-go? Before you say 400 is insane for a PDI please do keep in mind they were several hundred dollars less on purchase price than the popular RV Direct, Cheyenne's, etc. I am just debating whether I want to get out really on the cheap, or should I go through the full pro tour so if anything comes up I can deal with it right there?
When I bought my unit "Cheyenne camping center" they had the lowest price in the midwest on the trailer we we're looking at and cheaper then any comparable and also gave the "best" trade price.
Pdi was very good and extensive and was " no charge" including battery and propane.
TURBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #18
Yeah cheyenne definitely has good prices and good reviews. I am not knocking them at all. There were things that I did not feel comfortable with but that doesn't appear to be the norm.

I am going to do the pdi. The combined price is still quite competitive. I did originally feel a little bait and switch as I told them what the price needed to be and they said they could make that work. In the future I will clarify what that includes but at the end of the day I am ok with where it is ending up.

I hate to validate their approach but it did ultimately get me in the door...right or wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

RPod 183g
2013 F150 FX4 EB
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote