Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 09:17 PM   #1
rbq

One benefit of pre-attached bunk ends & a new fridge

A week ago Friday we were doing some preparation to leave on a trip this past Tuesday. My wife had put some things after going shopping in the fridge in the Roo. She came in and informed me that we had a problem with the fridge which has been plugged in since we used it 2 weeks ago. It was not cooling. Went through all of the trouble shooting steps only to find the the AC heater worked fine and the gas worked fine, but was not cooling. What a bummer to have to buy a new fridge for a trailer that is just over 5 1/2 years old. I toyed with idea of buying a new cooling system for it, but then decided to just get a new one. When I picked up the new fridge the service tech told me that I would have to have a door that was at least 24 inches wide. We did, but had a terrible time getting the fridge out that was 24 3/4 inched wide. I realized that I would never get the new one in the door as it had the same dimensions. This is one advantage of not having attached bunk ends. I just lowered the side bunk & lifted up the material & had plenty of room to slide in the new fridge. I also found another advantage of a new fridge versus fixing the old one. The original fridge had 2 fans that would run off & on. The new fridge didn't have the fans. I couldn't believe how much better my power saving was. I would usually be down to 2/3 power on the batteries by the 2nd day. I went 4 days with batteries still showing full with the new fridge.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #2

I wasn't sure what you meant by "pre-attached" bunk ends. I'm thinking you must have the bunks with the "un-attached" canvas. If you're Roo had one year newer, you wouldn't have been able to do what you did, so yeah, you lucked out there!

On the fridge: If I were you, I would have swapped the fans over to the new fridge and installed a switch to turn them off and on. I suspect you old fridge ran better than you're new one will (quality seems to be declining). You might be wishing you had those fans!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:24 PM   #3

Would unzipping the bunk end "Exit" screen have given you enough room?
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
This is one advantage of not having attached bunk ends.
I'm sure it was an advantage for you.......but if ever it happens to me in the future, I'll deal with it. In the meantime, I'm more than happy with my attached bunk ends. I would never go back to bungies or poles or snaps.
I also think it would have fit in the emergency window !
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:45 AM   #5
Site Team

i think you're right that rbq meant that he had the NON pre-attached bunk ends.

i do too. haven't had to put a fridge thru them BUT i have been able to easily get inside the trailer from the outside when our door lock broke.
and i can load my kayaks from the outside, into the trailer.

don't think you can do that with the pre-attached bunk ends.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
rbq

After using the fridge for a week I am more than happy with it's operation without the fans. When I talked with tech at the local RV parts store he showed me that the DM2652 has over 60 different manufacturing changes in the years the fridge has been used. Many of these changes are when they have to get parts from another supplier or other changes made. I'm sure that one of those changes was then they decided to add the fans due to a change in the cooling system.
You're right about my choice of words when I called them pre-attached, meaning before they did the attached bunk ends. There are times when I think it would be nice to have them, but some of the problems, including the unlevel step down to the bunk from the frame it not something I would have liked. I like a nice level bunk & I still have the cables so don't have to mess with poles and the snaps & ropes aren't that difficult to do.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i can load my kayaks from the outside, into the trailer.

don't think you can do that with the pre-attached bunk ends.
My wife thought I was crazy for suggesting this
Stygshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #8

Bunk end has plenty of room to insert my kayaks if I chose. Just unzip the emergency exit screen. Mine travel in the bed of my truck - less messy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00011.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	117341  
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
Bunk end has plenty of room to insert my kayaks if I chose. Just unzip the emergency exit screen. Mine travel in the bed of my truck - less messy.
that was my thought as well !
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, fridge