Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #1

Opening ends on 21SSL in the rain?

So ... how does one deal with trying to opening up the ends on a Roo when it's raining? I haven't had a chance to use the Roo yet, but when opening it up to air out I thought, "Hmmm ... this could be a real bummer when it rains!"

Although I haven't done anything seriously yet, I was thinking about mounting some sort of small posts on the roof to hang a tarp, then some posts to hold up the other end while I set up.

Any other ideas or feedback?

Thanks!
dhbpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Site Team

o.k., first question, were you a former popup owner? i ask because the majority of hybrid owners, moved up from popups and would not be asking this question.
so, i'm assuming you weren't, since you're asking this question and are possibly unfamiliar with canvas tent ends.

the canvas ends are made to be fine in the rain. in fact, if you should find instructions to wet down the canvas so the threads can swell and seal in the seams.
a few might have some leaking so it's a good idea to open them up in the rain, to make sure everything is good.
we've had condensation but never had any leaks, even in pouring rain.

we've camped in the rain and in snow and it's not a big issue. just make sure if you close them up wet, that you open them back up to dry out.

i'm not sure if this answers your question.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #3

Gosh Bikendan, that was a bit rough.

I was a PUP owner, but the bunk ends on the Roo is a lot different than my Fleetwood Sea Pine. The mattress wasn't exposed like it is with the Roo, so I've asked myself the same question..."How do I keep everything dry if I open in a down pour?"

I have no answers except work fast.

Welcome and congrats on the new camper!
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
Site Team

i'm sorry for sounding rough, i was trying to understand the question.
maybe i'm missing what the OP is asking.

it sounded like he was afraid to get the canvas ends wet.

if i'm wrong and he's asking about the mattress, then i apologize.

if that's what you're asking, then i usually stand outside and as i lower the bunk door, i grab the canvas and pull it out as the door lowers. i pull it around the door as quick as possible.
the perimeter of the canvas will stay around the door well enough to get everything setup.
i will fasten the end snaps first, just to hold everything in place.

i hope this helps answer your question.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #5

The concern is the mattresses, and moreso just having water get in the unit while trying to set it up.

I guess speed in setup is the key ... better practice a bunch of times in dry weather before trying it in the rain!
dhbpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #6

No problem Bikendan!
Previously:
Old 04-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #7

I take the mattress off the bed to ensure it doesn't get wet and do what has been previously suggested, be fast as fast can be! wipe up the water that did get in and replace the mattress. Putting it up in the rain is the real issue. I wait for it to stop or lighten up then throw it together as best I can. Take the mattress off again to make it easier.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #8

I thought Dan was on target. However, there is no rule you have to set up in a moonsoon either. We have done the popup scene, a full size TT and now the Roo. Unlike a pop up where you really do need to take care of the beds to get out of the elements, one can still access the Roo, especiallly if one has slides, as a place to get out of the rain and not set up the beds.

This to me is key advantage of an expandable over a pup. If it were me, and the rain was forecasted to be an hour or so, I would simply wait it out inside the Roo or go grocery shopping and then come back. Then again lazy is my middle name.....
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #9

Pull the mattress in the camper, open the ends and get wet, go back in and dry the bunk ends then make the bed
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
rbq

I thought about the question asked on this topic as I set up this past weekend & made some observations. I noticed that even if raining the mattress should be folded up and under the end fabric as the door is opened. The only part really exposed as the end of the bed platform. By quickly pulling the fabric over the end and securing it with the snaps protects the end and the mattress. Once the fabric is over the end and snapped then the bed bow can be extended from inside. No need for much to get wet at all. Next time you set up see if you don't see the same thing.
rbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #11

RBQ...you are right on here...but this thread got me wondering. Here in the Smokies there are times when it rains for hours..so you set up camp in the rain. Sometimes we get caught in it and have to take down in the rain too.

However, I am 5' 5" and my wife is 4'11" and we need step stools to open the beds up and it takes 2 of us. Never mind the beds, we will get soaked in a good rain opening up all 3 beds on the Roo...good thing we have nice North Face Gore Tex rain shells to keep us dry (lol)....

In the end I think your ideas here will work great...now if you can help me open the bunk with just one hand quickly in the rain....my setting up in the rain problems will be gone...
Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #12

Maybe I do this wrong or just different. I fold up the Roo by myself while dh entertains the kids (so I know it's done right, he short cuts where he can), and I'm 5'3". I pull most of the canvas into the Roo to avoid it getting in the way of the seams. So if I were to open in the rain, everything would get wet.
Previously:
Old 04-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #13

Wow!!! I am moderately fit...I ride my road bike sometimes upwards of 75 miles plus a week. I mountain bike some, we have a large garden, my friend Manual Labor and I work a lot together as I do jobs I can't afford to pay Mexicans to do and still find opening and closing the Roo moderately difficult....all by myself and you do this by yourself! You go girl....
Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
Site Team

i hate to say this and please don't take offense, but i think it's harder for the "vertically challenged".

i'm 6' tall and i open and close my bunks alone all the time.
i've only needed something to stand on, once, because the site dropped off behind the trailer. i was able to close it alone but couldn't reach the latches.

the DW is very strong but is 5'5" and can't do it alone.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #15

You're hateful bikendan, if that's your real name! Why don't you just come out and say it....short people ain't got no reason to live! You hide behind your big screen name waiting just waiting for some small, little person like me to just squash like a bug....

Ok, that was weird.... I am not Napolean, I am not Napolean...that's what my therapist keeps reminding me.... ;-)

Dan, no offense taken...I have tiny feet too and you know what they say about men with small feet..it is a pain in the rear to find good footwear....and everything else you hear is a complete lie...

You are right, if you are under 5' 8" I can see bunk thing being an issue without some step stool assistance...
Old 04-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #16
Site Team

Bob, just take heart in knowing that you can kick my 6' 230lbs. butt, up a steep singletrack and leave me gasping!
now, downhill, that could be a different story.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #17

No offense taken here. I have closing it up down, but now I'm perfecting it. I should have dh video tape me closing it up, but probably looks pretty funny! LOL
Previously:
Old 04-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #18

Dan, lol..yeah maybe I could take you on a climb..but I am still slow...these bunkends are heavy too...I must say I am kind of impressed with hockey..she must be like Sarah Palin or something... Please not trying to flame the place with this..just passing a complement onto another with a comparsion to Palin's outdoor skills...nothing more...
Old 04-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
Dan, lol..yeah maybe I could take you on a climb..but I am still slow...these bunkends are heavy too...I must say I am kind of impressed with hockey..she must be like Sarah Palin or something... Please not trying to flame the place with this..just passing a complement onto another with a comparsion to Palin's outdoor skills...nothing more...

Now I'm offended!
Previously:
Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to jerr7
Just like YVESM state simple, pull in the matress and then secure the ends.I have donr this numerous times and had very little problems of water just dry up the bunk good and replace the mattress on the bunk end.Another suggestion, when i take down the camper when ready to leave the campground, for me what i do is take the mattress out of the ends and place inside the trailer.I lay across the floor in a upright position.Noone is inside and its easy to travel and not worry about any leaks.The ends are nice and tight .Beleive me it really works out nice.Never had a leak in 3 years..I hope this helps
jerry
https://community.webshots.com/user/j...host=community
jerr7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21ssl