Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Congrats................That date should hold true.That would be right around 8 weeks from when your order was placed +/- a few days? Good deal. Thursday will be 5 weeks from when we reordered. It looks like I need to be making a dealer drive by on Friday.

Yes, it will be a few days over 8 weeks but that is fine with me. As long as I get it before our scheduled outings in June I will be a happy man. Even happier if we can get it and got in a weekend or two before then. Hopefully the good news keeps coming in and you'll be getting some too.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:44 PM   #42

A dealer is completely at the mercy of the factory. Having said that, I don't understand how he can guarantee something over which he has no control. Sounds like salesperson BS.
I'm not a lawyer, so my legal opinions are basically worthless. However, if you cancel your order before they fail to deliver on their promise, I don't think you would get your deposit back.
Another point to consider...if you buy from Ohio, will your local guy do any warranty work for you? Probably not.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #43

I don't see why they would not do warranty work if they are a forest river dealer they should do the work I mean of course they would put me on the bottom of the list. I am all for supporting local business and developed a relationship with someone that is five minutes away but if they lie and are more expensive what can we do
Locchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:39 AM   #44

I think most will still do warranty work. He may not get priority, but I think most dealers will still do it. They still make money on warranty work, just not as much as non warranty work. Makes no difference if they bought it from them or not, pay is the same. When I was haggling with camping world here in ceder Falls trying to buy my 233s, I walked out when things were not going my way. I told the sales manager I could get the same unit in Des Moines for several thousand less. He said he couldn't match that, wished me luck and invited me back for any warranty work I might have on my unit in the future. He said they'd be glad to do it, even though I'm not buying from them.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #45

They are not required to do warranty work and even the Forest River brochure indicates this and has a statement encouraging you to buy from your local dealer. In fairness to the dealer the price cutting is so cutthroat I almost understand trying to use whatever leverage they have to force a customer to buy from them.

I just threw up in my mouth that I defended a dealership practice because I have found most to be shady at best and finding a good one is like finding a needle in a haystack.

I too thought about trying to get out of my deposit when it went twice as long as anticipated and multiple times they set up a PDI with me only to have "something happen" and the unit didn't arrive. I hinted at wanting to cancel and a miracle happened and it showed up that week, with a build date only a few days before it was in my hands.

If you feel good that the dealership will give you good service after the sale I would hang in there. In the rare situation where you have a big problem it would be awful to have to drive a long distance or wait months at the bottom of a waiting list.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #46

Want good service? Bring doughnuts! Lots of doughnuts! When you drop and when you pick it up.

I have seen it a bunch of times and it works!

Sorry but it is how the world works.

If they let you in the door the doughnuts will do the rest.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #47

Brilliant! That right there is solid advice! The old kill them with kindness trick.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #48

Three dozen Shipley Donuts (not Krispy Kreme) and they MIGHT give you the trailer!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #49

The other hurtle is finding a dealer that will do good work on warrantee work. Most I have dealt with screw things up more.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locchamp View Post
I don't see why they would not do warranty work if they are a forest river dealer they should do the work I mean of course they would put me on the bottom of the list.
Well, unfortunately that's not how the RV Industry works.
Back in 2006, when we were shopping, the 3 local Roo dealers all told me that they wouldn't do the warranty work if I bought from another dealer.
And that was ten years ago.
And I believe that it's gotten worse since then.

We still bought from a dealer 2000 miles away.
FR found us local dealers that would be willing to do the warranty work.
Saved us $4000 even after trip costs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #51

There will always be a hand full of dealers that may refuse warranty work out of spite, just because you didn't give them the opportunity to gouge you. Those kinds of businesses are the kind I prefer not to have dealings with anyways. I wouldn't let that stop you from shopping around. There's no transparency in the RV industry so doing your own research is the only way to know if your getting a good deal or not.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:54 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We still bought from a dealer 2000 miles away.
FR found us local dealers that would be willing to do the warranty work.
Saved us $4000 even after trip costs.
The local dealer network here in Denver (they have three dealerships on the front range) wanted a $6k premium on the exact model I ordered from out of state. I told the salesman I would pay a $1500 premium to keep the dollars in-state and give them the business. His response was "no thanks". So next Thursday we are driving 1000 miles to pick up our new TT. I just hope any warranty work is minor in the future or I can fix myself. I don't expect any warm fuzzies from the local dealer.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:58 PM   #53

Remember warranty work is only for one year. That's how I look at it.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
The local dealer network here in Denver (they have three dealerships on the front range) wanted a $6k premium on the exact model I ordered from out of state. I told the salesman I would pay a $1500 premium to keep the dollars in-state and give them the business. His response was "no thanks". So next Thursday we are driving 1000 miles to pick up our new TT. I just hope any warranty work is minor in the future or I can fix myself. I don't expect any warm fuzzies from the local dealer.
We live in Maine....We bought our 23ws from Haylett in Michigan and they delivered it (at a good cost).....The hybrid was delivered.....The two persons who brought it waited until I was totally satisfied....and I was.

Do I care about a warranty !!!! I don't! This is not a vehicle with a motor, transmission, differential.....I think anything on a hybrid can be fix without having to bring it to a dealer and wait two, three, four weeks for the repair to be done.

We had two hybrids before this one and never had problems with them. Nowadays they make them so much better......Soooooooooo, am I worried .....nah !!!!

Dre
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:17 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Remember warranty work is only for one year. That's how I look at it.
Not if you paid the $150 for adding a 2nd year to the first year of the factory warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:36 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not if you paid the $150 for adding a 2nd year to the first year of the factory warranty.
I think the $150 is worthwhile. The dealer tried to sell me a 4yr for $1600..no thx!
Old 03-30-2016, 11:41 PM   #57

I also use Uship.com on my travels and will come out ahead $$ on getting my TT... other than the 2k miles of course.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:21 AM   #58

A question for you guys? My trailer came in and my dealer wants me to come down and do a walk through and settle up. My problem is I would like to see that the water works and there are no leaks etc. The weather has been warm the last few days but we are looking at temps in the 20s at night next week and I don't think I want to take a chance of having freezing issues. The dealer wants me to take ownership to avoid a fee for having unsold units on the lot. I have read here that I pretty much lose my power once I pay but I can see his issue as well. Thoughts? BTW I did download the PDI checklist and am using it as a guide.
Hemlock04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:27 AM   #59

I just bought mine and had them dewinterize it right there in front of me, then I had a good idea how to winterize it, after I got it home we had a few warm days, then I winterized it myself, now waiting for the freezing nights to go away i will dewinterize myself, have him dewinterize everything, show you it all works then just take it home.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:38 AM   #60

I could do that. I suppose I could skip the anti-freeze and just blow it out with the compressor. I may just try and put it off until the following Saturday and then it looks like we are in the clear... well according to Accu Weather anyways.