Old 05-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #11

Wrapped up our second weekend with the HTT, this time it went much better.

- 4" foam mattress topper felt almost as good as our bed at home - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEF3MOU
- Oak cooktop cover added much-needed counter space - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDUTX6
- Camco EVO in-line water filter flows nicely and no changing the filter in the storage compartment anymore - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00523AMBC

Our site was well-shaded and had no problems with morning sun beating down.

Overall a great weekend, now I'm feeling better about our 3-week trip this summer!

Old 05-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #12

Dianna cut some of the silver bubble packing material to fit the windows for the winter in Rock Springs Wyoming.
Then used the on the sunny side of the trailer to keep the sun out.
You can find it by the roll at Home Depot and Lowes

David N Dianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:10 AM   #13

Those are some impressive MPG towing numbers. Sounds like your Canyon matches up pretty well with your Roo?? I'd be interested in your impression of how it toes... Ran into someone who had just bought one and towed with it the first time and he was impressed. He opted for the diesel.
Equalizer WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Those are some impressive MPG towing numbers. Sounds like your Canyon matches up pretty well with your Roo?? I'd be interested in your impression of how it toes... Ran into someone who had just bought one and towed with it the first time and he was impressed. He opted for the diesel.
Yeah, pretty happy with the Canyon when towing this trailer. I also have the diesel, thus the decent MPG numbers. My biggest complaint is freeway speed. I know these non-HD diesel trucks are more for fuel economy than towing power so I wasn't expecting a rocket, but really anything above 65MPH is a struggle with the parachute behind me. Our speed limits around here are 70, it would be nice to be able to easily go the speed limit but oh well. 65 isn't a problem, just takes longer to get places.

I could run a tune and get another 40HP/70TQ but with less than 10k on the clock I think I'd rather keep my powertrain warranty for a while longer.

Overall experience has been great, though. Tows really well (I have the long bed), wind/sway isn't an issue, the exhaust brake and built-in trailer brake controller work like a charm.

The past 2 trips have only been an hour and 1.5 hours away so I haven't run an entire tank towing yet, but in 3 weeks we'll be going camping a few hours away so that will be good to find out how it'll do on longer trips. I'm expecting to fill up every 200 miles (every 3 hours or so), destination is about 275 miles away. 3 hours between fill-ups should be fine based on how I'm planning to do long-distance/multi-day drives.

Eat breakfast, leave at 9am, drive 3 hours, stop for fuel and lunch, drive 3 hours, fill up, drive 3 hours, stop for the night.

Titan Fuel Tanks also makes a 36-gallon replacement fuel tank for these trucks (long bed only) so I could theoretically go roughly 400 miles towing between fill-ups. $750 is a lot of money just to extend the distance between fills, though.

Tags
shamrock