Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 886
Our first weekend out with our new-to-us '13 Shamrock 21SS

Overall it was a great success! Only a couple of issues/annoyances to address...
  • Mattress comfort - The factory innerspring mattress is horribly uncomfortable, so I ordered a 4" foam mattress topper off Amazon (memory foam + HD foam) and hope that helps, will find out when we go camping again this weekend.
  • Showering gets the bathroom floor wet - Issue seems to be there's no lip around the shower edge so water seems to run down the back to the bottom and then out onto the floor. This was partly due to being slightly off-level towards the slide (Was level when I pulled in, forgot to make it slightly high on the slide side since the slide will pull that side down a bit) so gravity wasn't helping, but I'd like to find something that will prevent that from happening in general, water damage is my main concern in general and it would be nice if I didn't have to leave a towel on the floor around the edge to keep it contained.

We ran into an issue with counter space, so I ordered a stovetop cover/cutting board to add some. The FW1/KW1 water filter sucks, the filters that the previous owner left with the trailer don't fit (They bought the wrong filters) and I'm not going to spend $30 on a filter, so I ordered a Camco EVO kit and the metal filter stand. This also makes it easier to replace the filter without getting water inside the storage compartment.

Also getting a better water pressure regulator, the cheap non-adjustable ones just flow for crap.

Really debating getting PUGs, the A/C was on pretty much constantly in the afternoon even with the curtains closed to try and keep the heat contained in the bunk area. It never got hot in the trailer, but it wasn't able to cool down to where we had the thermostat set.

Other than these annoyances it went great and we had an awesome time. Was able to get 12-14mpg towing it with my Canyon as long as I kept it at 65mph. 70mph dropped it down to 10-11 and 75mph dropped it down to 9-10 and that was with the pedal to the floor (181HP only gets you so far). 65mph is a great cruising speed and I'll use that for calculating how far we can go in a day during our 3-week trip this summer.

Also, the Fastway e2 hitch worked great. Had some crosswind on the drive back and it tracked great doing 65MPH, no sway and wasn't having to fight it. Only way I really even knew there was wind was by looking at the trees and where the dust from the fields being plowed was blowing. The Goodyear Endurance tires seemed to help this as well, I recall driving the trailer home from the dealer with the factory tires and feeling the wind pushing the trailer around more for sure.

Next up, Turkey Run this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7583943280_IMG_0253.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	170985  
__________________

__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
GalsofEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Catonsville Maryland
Posts: 1,184
hope you have a great time this weekend and on your 3 week trip this summer. We did a three week trip to the southwest with our 23WS hybrid last year and had a blast.
I highly recommend PUGs and reflectix for the tent ends - we use them and they do help to keep the tent ends tolerable when it was 100 degrees outside. I don't expect the A/C to get the camper down to what I keep the house at, I just need it to lower the temp a bit and take the humidity out so that nighttime is comfortable and not in a sauna.

for the shower, I wonder if those corner water deflectors would work? Not sure since we don't have your shower set up (we have a glass door on ours).
__________________

__________________
HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,518
On my 2012 Roo 19 I added a long shower splash guard on the side by the toilet. I had to remove a few of the white things that held the shower wall to the trailer wall because the splash guard needed to go where they were located. I found some auto panel retainers at the auto store to replace them with (you have to cut off the tops). I moved them over just enough to get the splash guard on.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower #1 (auto panel retainers).JPG
Views:	104
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	171048
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower #2.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	171049
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower #3.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	171050
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower #4.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	171051

I also added a piece of plexiglass to the side of the bathroom cabinet to keep it from getting wet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower #5.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	171052
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
On my 2012 Roo 19 I added a long shower splash guard on the side by the toilet. I had to remove a few of the white things that held the shower wall to the trailer wall because the splash guard needed to go where they were located. I found some auto panel retainers at the auto store to replace them with (you have to cut off the tops). I moved them over just enough to get the splash guard on.
Attachment 171048
Attachment 171049
Attachment 171050
Attachment 171051

I also added a piece of plexiglass to the side of the bathroom cabinet to keep it from getting wet.

Attachment 171052


Good ideas, thanks for the pics!
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 2,149
Quote:
the A/C was on pretty much constantly in the afternoon even with the curtains closed to try and keep the heat contained in the bunk area.
no matter if I am heating or cooling I have a small 14 inch fan on in the living area pointed mostly just up to circulate the air around... helps with heating or cooling.
__________________


2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
djemgoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Brookfield, WI
Posts: 110
first weekend out in 21SS

I agree that the mattress is uncomfortable! That is the first thing we did is to put a 2.5 inch thick memory foam pad on it! We sleep great now! I'm not so sure you will get your bunk doors closed with 4 inch thick foam pad on your mattress, but give it a try.
When we were in Florida last spring, I put Refectix insulation https://www.reflectixinc.com/product...ve-insulation/ in the bunk windows. I did not use Popup Gizmos, but found a heavy duty space blanket that is reflective on one side and use 7 spring clamps on each end. The TT was very comfortable in the 90 degree Florida sun! I bought them for $44.00 plus clamps from Mountain Gear https://www.mountaingear.com/accesso...MG235460P.html They were the perfect size! I also put a folding table on the side of the stove cabinet, see photo. I think the shower on my 2016 Roo 21SS is different than yours. We have shower doors.
Enjoy your camper!!! We love ours!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00806.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	171186   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00807.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	171187   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00809.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	171188  
__________________
Dave & Elaine
Brookfield, WI
2016 Rockwood, ROO 21SS, pulled by a 2015 F150 XT, Super Cab, 2.7L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 6-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Tow package & integrated trailer brake. 7,600 lb. tow capacity. 145Ē wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by djemgoss View Post
I agree that the mattress is uncomfortable! That is the first thing we did is to put a 2.5 inch thick memory foam pad on it! We sleep great now! I'm not so sure you will get your bunk doors closed with 4 inch thick foam pad on your mattress, but give it a try.
When we were in Florida last spring, I put Refectix insulation https://www.reflectixinc.com/product...ve-insulation/ in the bunk windows. I did not use Popup Gizmos, but found a heavy duty space blanket that is reflective on one side and use 7 spring clamps on each end. The TT was very comfortable in the 90 degree Florida sun! I bought them for $44.00 plus clamps from Mountain Gear https://www.mountaingear.com/accesso...MG235460P.html They were the perfect size! I also put a folding table on the side of the stove cabinet, see photo. I think the shower on my 2016 Roo 21SS is different than yours. We have shower doors.
Enjoy your camper!!! We love ours!
The 4" mattress cover I ordered is only about 10lb and we'll just roll it up and put it in the dinette area when closed up so not a problem there. I see you have a range (oven and cooktop) with a cover, I'm jealous! We only have the drop-in cooktop that has no cover so I ordered an oak cover for that. I like the folding shelf idea, too. Thanks! I might do that as well.
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #8
Member
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 76
Where did you find the folding table?
__________________

2017 Flagstaff Shamrock 21ss pulled by a 2007 Ford F150 XLT 4X4
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #9
Member
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 76
The counter space on a 21ss is some where between Zero and None. I went to the local plastics store and ordered a piece of plastic/cutting board to fit over the little counter on the right side of the sink to the middle of the sink and from front to back. I then cut out a slot wide and long enough to fir over the faucets which holds it in place. We now have a little counter space and can also use half of the sink at the same time.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	171215

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	171216

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	171217
__________________

2017 Flagstaff Shamrock 21ss pulled by a 2007 Ford F150 XLT 4X4
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
HeyJude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
The counter space on a 21ss is some where between Zero and None. I went to the local plastics store and ordered a piece of plastic/cutting board to fit over the little counter on the right side of the sink to the middle of the sink and from front to back. I then cut out a slot wide and long enough to fir over the faucets which holds it in place. We now have a little counter space and can also use half of the sink at the same time.
Attachment 171215

Attachment 171216

Attachment 171217
You showed us this one a while back. I'm waiting till I get our new faucet in to make one. I guess I should put a move on with the faucet.
__________________

__________________
2018 Flagstaff 29KSWS
2015 Chevy Silverado
2 furry friends that camp with us.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shamrock

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.