Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #21

WOW! That is awesome information. DH and I are planning that trip next summer, leaving earlier in the year -May or June, and going reverse: South first then back home to Michigan by north. I haven't booked anything yet and am torn between "having" to be somewhere on a certain date and just winging it. And we are allowing about 6 weeks. We'll be getting senior annual passes for National Parks soon. Any comments from our fellow FROGs?
Old 09-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalFrog2 View Post
WOW! That is awesome information. DH and I are planning that trip next summer, leaving earlier in the year -May or June, and going reverse: South first then back home to Michigan by north. I haven't booked anything yet and am torn between "having" to be somewhere on a certain date and just winging it. And we are allowing about 6 weeks. We'll be getting senior annual passes for National Parks soon. Any comments from our fellow FROGs?
The senior pass is awesome. (It also works in Corps of Engineer campgrounds!)

We're usually too concerned about making sure we have a campsite when we get someplace to just wing it. But it sure would be nice to not have to look at a calendar and just stop and go as the mood strikes us!

If you can swing it - try to drop by Rocky Mountain National Park. Some of the best views per mile we've found anywhere.
2006 Fleetwood Bayside / 2006 4Runner
1999 Coleman SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #23
rbq

As I remember right you can see individual camp sites at Stockade North in Custer State Park. They have a good website with lots of information. We enjoyed our trip there about 10 years ago in our popup.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #24

We had the senior pass for the National Parks. It was great and saved us a ton of money. Paid for itself many times over.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rocknroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #25

Custer State Park, SD

Custer State Pk web site has tons of info on all the campgrounds in the park. I would advise you to make you reservation as soon as possible as the campgrounds are already being booked into July 2017. I tried to make a 4 night reservation at Game Lodge campground a week ago and couldn't get a site that included July 4.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #26

Love the photo of you and DW overlooking Lower Yellowstone Falls!! One of our favorite sites of all time!!

We visit nearly all of the sites you mention on a regular basis, and it never ceases to amaze me how different they can be at different times of the year. North Rim of the Grand Canyon is "magical" in late October, just before the first snow falls, when the Aspen are in their full, fall glory!! Watch out, however, for the flocks of wild turkey in the meadows. They seem to be unaware that we humans like to eat them!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:15 AM   #27

We did your trip back in 2014 glad others are enjoying line we did. It was a bucket list trip. We didn't make Bryce or the Canyonlands, coming from Maryland we had a little further to drive but I'd do it all again in a heart beat. Glad your enjoying your Roo and hope you have many more wonderful journeys. Safe journeys.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:21 PM   #28
MCTroy

Thank you for taking the time to write this post. It is beautiful. I am printing this and adding it to our wish list of trips. Just as soon as hubby retires...
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote