Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #1

Our maiden voyage - so close yet so far!

Well, I was preparing to submit a post about how we are heading out this Friday for our very first trip in the new 233S. I was going to talk about how we spent the entire winter/spring stocking it, booking trips, getting us ready - the works. About how the 3 little ones were getting so excited about the first camping trip - over Mother's Day weekend. But, instead I'm now going to talk about something far more entertaining...

This afternoon, the wife and I picked up the TT from the local dealer (they dewinterized it, added some Max Air vent covers, installed a Tornado, and did a few other things) so that we could stage it in the driveway to get ready for the trip. I was backing it in (we live in a quiet residential neighboorhood w/ no thru streets) and had the trailer wheels j-u-s-t reaching into the driveway when WHAM!!!!! Yep, some %&$!@^# decided he didn't want to wait the extra 20 seconds for me to clear the street so he decided he could just pass to the left from behind and squeeze himself between the curb and my TT. He never freakin' slowed down! My wife, who was in the driveway spotting me, saw him approach and assumed he was going to stop, but when she realized he wasn't, she simply couldn't scream fast enough before impact. Of course, I'm looking the other direction when all of a sudden I hear and feel that unmistakeable crashing/crunching sound. You all can guess the string of 4-letter words that flowed from our mouths. Funny enough, we both screamed at the exact same time: "It's brand f****** new!" It was all I could do to keep the wife from literally killing the idiot.

Even though it was largely a glancing blow, he hit the TT so hard that shattered orange side marker lens pieces sprinkled down on the windshield of my TV. Once I straightened out the TT on the side of the road, I got out expecting to see total destruction. Much to my surprise, it wasn't cosmetically as bad as I tought. He hit the TT on the front left, about 6 inches in front of the slide and all the way to the front corner. All the trim pieces are shot, but there were no punctures of the sidewall or exposed seams, etc. Unfortunately, I'm afraid he bowed in that section of the sidewall. And much more concerning, it looks like he flexed the slide because it's sure not straight now. The front edge is about 1-2 inches from the seal while the back edge is pressed against it. OF course, if the slide is still square and true, that means he really did bow the front sidewall.

At least the idiot had the gumption to sorta own up and file a claim w/ his insurance there on the spot. Then again, what could he say - "Well officer, this 24' trailer suddenly appeared from the middle of the street and I couldn't avoid it." While I was dealing w/ that, the wife called the dealer to explain why we were headed right back there less than an hour after we had just left. They were great and their warranty person called us back right away to walk us through their insurance process. So, the TT never actually got unhitched, but we did. After getting the claims info squared away, we drove back up to the dealer and left our sad looking Roo in the same spot we just left. We'll find out tomorrow just how bad the damage is, but we're not optimistic for this weekend.

I did take some solace in the fact that he totally ripped the crap out of the entire side of his Infiniti QX56 - from the headlight down to the taillight. There wasn't a straight or unscratched piece of metal left, including his side mirror.
Manassas, VA
2011 camping days booked - 18 and counting
allards5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #2

What a shame!! Lucky nobody got injured, but for us reading your very descriptive account of the events, it sure would have been better with pictures.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #3

Man that's tough. I can imagine how pi@@ed you were. There are accidents and then there is just plain stupidity. Maybe you should have let the wife take him. A little more humilation for him, getting his a@@ kicked by a women!

I'm glad no one was injured and it sounds like you have a great dealer that will work hard at getting you fixed up. Hopefully the damage isn't as bad as you think.

Good luck to you. Let us know how things work out.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #4

Aw man, that us jest horrible! But good that no one got hurt. I agree, you should have let your wife have at him. A black eye or two could have easily been experienced with him hitting the steering wheel, right? LOL. I hope you get back on the road soon. Good luck!
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #5

WOW - just read that and you have good details - Depending on how bad it really is I would want a new trailer since it was just driven off the lot - Good Luck and hopefully the dealer will take care of it and the jack ass who hit you doesnt try to change his story for the insurance to put a hold on your's getting fixed.

Like stated above glad no one got hurt and the infinity took alot of damage - that will fix him for being impatient
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #6

Thanks for all the support. Finally figured out how to get pics from the new camera onto the computer and into the forum (I think). This pic best shows the damage. I made a few annotations. And yes, I was a PowerPoint jockey in a previous life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Damage.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	5567  
Manassas, VA
Old 05-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #7

I wouldn't be surprised if they have to replace the sidewall at the very least. Maybe the front cap too?

Hope they get you fixed up quickly, but more importantly, fixed right.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Hope they get you fixed up quickly, but more importantly, fixed right.
X2 on what Gary Said
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Thank goodness no one was harmed. Did he stop after hitting you? I know that you said he filed a claim but wasn't sure if he even stopped.

Your accident brings up a question - are you required to file an accident claim with the DMV? If so, wouldn't it be funny if he didn't? After all the DMV can do means things when someone fails to.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #10

Awe man, I'm so sorry that happened!! I can see that happening on my street. As soon as I'm in my driveway enough for them to go around the front of my truck, they do.

I kind of hope you're able to just get a new Roo. Let us know how it turns out.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

EVERY time I back into my driveway I worry about just this kind of mishap. The kids in my neighborhood have NO courtesy and I get a dirty look for making them wait while I clear the street.

I am also thankful the driver owned up to his dumbness.

As to the sidewall, make SURE they do a delamination check. The wall is Styrofoam Sheet with a cosmetic covering on the inside and out. Just because there is no visible damage outside, the inside foam could have been crushed and delaminated.

In my opinion it will only get worse if not inspected and repaired at the factory. The dealer will most likely photograph the camper and email them to FR. Hopefully the factory will insist it be sent back to them. If not I think YOU should insist, even though you were looking forward to a summer of camping.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #12

Yep.....that really sucks! Hopefully you won't miss too much of the summer waiting for repairs! :-(
ScottyNuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #13

Update 1: The idiot and his insurance company accepted responsibility for the accident. However, it will be Thursday before the claims adjuster can inspect the TT. They've been swamped with tornado-related claims in the southern part of the state. Certainly can't begrudge those poor folks getting priority service. Will keep you posted on the damage estimates.
Manassas, VA
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #14

I don't know what to say that would stay on the forum!! I know the feeling. I live in a 40 km/h zone on the edge of town beside the school. Most people do 90 because they can't slow down and it is on a hill as well. I hope I never have to deal with this.

It's just sad.

I second the wife kicking butt!!
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #15

Chris & Karen,

Sorry to hear about your camper. Although it is good to know no one got hurt, it still sucks. Did you take it to Restless Wheels for repairs? Hopefully Mark and his crew will get your TT fixed and you all can resume your travels. We still haven't even got our ready to camp. It has been a driveway queen since delivery in March. Our first big trip is Memorial weekend at Bear Creek Lake in central VA.

Dave
drs244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #16

All the above and more.

Your ordeal sucks so hard. Hope they get you folks fixed up real quick.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #17

Update 2: Still don't have a final assessment/estimate of damages, but did learn a few things about the slide. The good news is that it was not damaged. But while inspecting it, the dealer (Reines RV) did notice that the slide was struggling to open. They quickly found the problem...my selling dealer installed the slide topper with too much of an angle (the rail mounted to the trailer was too high relative to the top of the slide) and it was creating a lot of tension. The dealer recommended leaving the existing rail in place to avoid having to fill/seal the resulting holes and instead, install a second rail right below it. They suggested I return it to my selling dealer to fix. I asked them how much they would charge to do it - $125. It would cost me more than that in gas to return it to my selling dealer and at least another lost week. And if they screwed it up the first time, not sure I want them trying to fix it a second time. So, I'm having Reines do it. As for the second issue, they mentioned that even w/ the topper disengaged, the slide motor was too weak (his term). When I told him that the TT was brand new and the slide had been opened maybe 3 or 4 times in its entire lifetime, he immediately offered to contact Forest River to see about getting a new motor because it just didn't work right. He said between the slide topper creating too much tension and a bad slide motor, I would have been lucky to make it through the first season without burning out the motor. So, at least there's a little lemonade being made from all this.
Manassas, VA
Old 05-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #18

that sucks ..glad you are ok..
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #19

Sounds like you've found a great repair shop. One that will take care of you. I had a service manager tell me once that they wouldn't fix a problem unless I complained about it first. Even if they found one they wouldn't say anything to me about it. Needless to say I don't do business there anymore.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #20

Update 3: Talked to the dealer and the initial estimate is $2000. They ordered all the parts from Forest River and hope to have them in hand in about 7-10 days. They won't remove any damaged parts until they get the new ones. I can understand that, otherwise they would have a repair lot full of partially dismantled units exposed to the elements. Once they start tearing into things, they'll check for any internal/hidden damage not initially captured and make additional repairs. The dealer promised to call when the parts come in and again after they tear into things to let me know if more work needs to be done. Best case, we might have the unit back just in time for the Memorial Day weekend.
Manassas, VA