Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

Oven or No Oven

We are about to place an order for a new 233S. We have seen several photos of the oven option, but have struggled to find any pics with the cooktop only. Does anyone out there have any?

The reasons that we are thinking no oven include: "who uses an oven while camping?", getting the cooktop only adds some additional kitchen storage space, and finally the cooktop-oven option has that stupid triangle burner configuration - you know, the one where you can only fit 3 doll house size dishes on it at once. Whereas the cooktop only option has a L-shaped cooktop that could fit three pans (or so we think).

Lastly, I've only seen the FR cooktop only option in stainless steel. Do we have to get the stainless steel appliance package to ensure matching appliances, or is there a black cooktop only that matches the mic/vent?

Thanks.
shnbrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

I ordered my 2306 with the oven - as a just in case I wanted to make pizza's or something I didnt want to cook on the grill or microwave - another cooking option -
The stove I got with my unit is a Magic Chef
it is black to match the microwave and I did not order the stainless steel package

the picture attached is from Tropical rv's inventory from a Roo 21SS - without the oven option and cherry wood

the bottom two are the Roo 23S with the oven option

It appears the top only comes in stainless and not black from all the pictures I have loked thru
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roo Kitchen.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	4902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roo 233S with oven.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	4903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roo 233S with oven 2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	4904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roo 211SS with oven.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	4905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roo 211SS with oven & top.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	4906  

USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #3

We have a 2011 Grey Wolf and it didn't come with an oven - which we're OK with. First is they bit that's been mentioned about cooking in an oven while camping (we rarely use our house oven in the summer).
This being our first 'big camper' the size of the oven makes us laugh - you'd be hardpressed to do more than a pizza, a pie or a tray of rolls in there.

Our cooktop is black.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #4

I am single guy who camps with his two adult children. Our first TT had no oven, and I really liked the extra space. But, now that our current TT has an oven, I would NEVER go without it !

We do use it at every outing short or long !

Short story long, if a single guy thinks having an oven is good, it has got to be a must right ?

We use it to make Pizza, heat appetizers which require an oven, make our fries really crisp, again in the oven. At the end of the day, it is a personal choice on how you camp. Some use their trailers only to sleep in, and stay inside when it is rainy/cold. Some use it as a house ...
Old 03-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
I am single guy who camps with his two adult children. Our first TT had no oven, and I really liked the extra space. But, now that our current TT has an oven, I would NEVER go without it !

We do use it at every outing short or long !

Short story long, if a single guy things having an oven is good, it has got to be a must right ?

We use it to make Pizza, heat appetizers which require an oven, make our fries really crisp, again in the oven. At the end of the day, it is a personal choice on how you camp. Some use their trailers only to sleep in, and stay inside when it is rainy/cold. Some use it as a house ...
I am with you on the personal choice - I am a single Dad with a 4 year old so pizza and chicken nuggets taste better in the oven then the microwave - I could always get one of those toaster oven's but it would take up to much space on the counter and storing it so I opted for the oven instead
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #6

We generally use the oven as much as we would if we were at home. That is, not every day, but it sure is nice to make biscuits, cook a meat loaf, or bake a turkey dinner when the want arises. Would I have an RV without one? NO! But then again we spend way more days dry camping than we do with full hookups. So IMHO I would much rather do without the microwave than an oven.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Villa Estate 392FLFB

i have an apartment sized oven in mine lol. only thing i cant cook in there is something wider then 15". GF uses it all the time.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Order with an oven! Love ours... use it more than the microwave! But do add some unglazed Mexican tiles to the bottom to make it heat better and NOT burn your biscuits! Not very deep but a great "must have" item.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #9

A few people laughed at me when they heard i got an oven in my camper, but they sure enjoyed using it when the weather was so bad, I love it, i have used it alot, i am glad i got it
Kevin
TF-Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Site Team

I dislike cooking or baking for the most part so my impression of the oven in my TT that it would not get used much but I was mistaken. The oven is great for toasting garlic bread and baking cinnamon rolls which smells so good. Love those cinnamon rolls from Walmart that comes in a tin ready to bake - yummy! Last trip I cooked BBQ chicken which even surprised me. It's on the menu again for next week's trip.

For me I'm glad I have the oven, especially in the future when dry camping.

If I were still undecided about the oven I would make a list of items that I would cook in the oven to help determine how important or not the oven would be. If you do decide upon the oven you might use it more than expected.

Is it possible to remove the oven setting knob and then use the oven for storage? (Selected storage of course).

Just decide what would be better for you.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
We seldom use the oven but the folding burner cover would give you more counter space, and maybe you could use the oven to store a crockpot, electric frying pan...whatever. The handle on the oven is a place to hang a kitchen towel. Another plus is that an oven might make the trailer easier to sell, if and when you do so.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #12

My DW says...Oven all the way.

And, as you know, the DW is never wrong!
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #13

Get it with the oven. It is aprx 300$ more and you will get a better resale value. And yet try to cook a chicken in a gas oven and you will never want to cook another one in your home oven. Gas cooking give you the humidity in cooking that you dont get in a electric oven. The result: the chicken is so tender that you will ask your wife a second portion. It is the same for the other items you cook. The perfect cooking every time. yum yum!!!!
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
Site Team

we love the oven in our Roo 23SS! we use it almost every time we camp.

i'd get one and you could still use it for storage if you found that you didn't really like it.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #15

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
I vote "OVEN"

In our camper, we didn't have a choice - unless we wanted to order a camper from the factory.

When we dry camp we fire up the Dutch Ovens.

A sales rep at the Denver RV show suggested a convection microwave oven. That might be an option??? (but not from Forest River, I'm guessing)

Darren
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
A sales rep at the Denver RV show suggested a convection microwave oven. That might be an option??? (but not from Forest River, I'm guessing)

Darren
wouldn't be useful dry camping though. that's why we love having an oven, we rarely have electric hookups, so a convection MW or a toaster oven are useless for us.
i've seen quite a few FR products with convection microwaves. if you want one, wouldn't hurt to ask if you could special order one.
not sure if a 30amp HTT could handle one though, since i don't know how much power one would take.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #17

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i've seen quite a few FR products with convection microwaves.
The convection microwave does not appear to be a factory option for the 233S...
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #18

I have no oven. It was about $300 to upgrade and for the size, I didnt see the value. We have a $20 toaster oven that is about the same size that we sometimes use. I am thinking of putting a spacesaver toaster oven under the microwave , but havnt got around to it yet. We dont dry camp in this camper, but cook most meals outside when camping whether dry or not.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #19

I would say we use our oven on at least half of the trips we make. I would always have an oven. At least you have it if you want to use it and on trips you don't plan on using it, use it for bread, and potato chip storage, thats what we do.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Dry camping with biscuits in the morning.....priceless.

In talking to a dealer at a recent RV Show, I made mention that many trailers and motor homes don't have gas ovens.....just convection ovens.

He: "Convection ovens can do anything a gas oven can do."

Me: "What about dry camping with no electricity ??"

He: "Run a generator."

Me: "Many U.S. and state park campgrounds have strict generator hours."

He: "Then you can't use the oven."

Me (thinking): Duh !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote