Old 06-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #1

Packing Advice

So, the family going on a near-cross country, 2-week trip and I need some advice.

My wife is a big time over-packer. Before I know it, the inside of the Roo is wall to wall with grocery bags of stuff-all good, but just too much. And it stresses us all out. Any advice on what to buy, when to buy, and overall keep simple the food items needed to sustain us while we focus on the sites would be much appreciated.

And don't get me wrong, the food and cooking is one of the best parts.

2011 Rockwood Roo 233s
2007 Tundra Crewmax, 5.7

Old 06-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #2

Same problem here. Just returned from a 2 week trip and unloaded about 1/2 of what we packed.
DW and I now have an agreement. Plan a "flexible" menu. As we tend to travel to a destination, spend 2 to 4 days, then travel to the next; we will try and plan meals around those stopping points. Laundry etc as well.
So my theory is pack for 3 to 5 days, NOT two weeks. Re-supply en-route, buy local fresh produce, meats, bread, milk etc.
Heading out again at the end of the month. We'll see how it goes. Need to somehow "gracefully" manage the loading process with some finesse or threaten to buy a new truck to haul everything she thinks we "might" need.
"One more bag and we'll never make it up the hill out of town"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3900.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	79564  

Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedrocker View Post
So, the family going on a near-cross country, 2-week trip and I need some advice.

My wife is a big time over-packer. Before I know it, the inside of the Roo is wall to wall with grocery bags of stuff-all good, but just too much. And it stresses us all out. Any advice on what to buy, when to buy, and overall keep simple the food items needed to sustain us while we focus on the sites would be much appreciated.

Packing and planning a trip, whether it be a weekend or a long vacation is an "art" in itself making sure you have / haven't enough goodies and essentials at your disposal. Especially the goodies, we always think we need lots of those on hand for traveling .

I know when we first started out we would over pack everything it seemed like. But after many trips out and coming home and having to "unpack" the excess of what we had "packed" we learned new ways to plan our outings more efficiently.

Just this past weekend we took a weekend trip to Metropolis, IL. ( Superman Festival and Fort Massac ) and although we had planned on making all of our meals, we decided that the food was too tempting at the festival and decided to indulge. Even went back the next afternoon for lunch and more sightseeing. Being spontaneous can be a wonderful thing when traveling. Although, needless to say, we brought back our excess "planned" food to use another day.

Sometimes the planning works totally, sometimes not. Make the most of it and have fun. Your wife's packing will get better with time.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #4

We keep a small supply of dry and canned food in the trailer at all times and only bring food from home that would otherwise spoil. There is almost always a place somewhere where we can stock up. This way we're always ready to roll and avoid the stress of loading and unloading.
Cypressloser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #5

For a long trip pack food for 3 to 4 meals and some snacks and shop locally for everything else.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Ditto to all.
When we were hard core backpackers, we carried everything for 14 - 16 days. Then we got smart and actually would cache the 2nd week food, drink, fuel, and other items at a road crossing when applicable. It cut down on the weight on our poor backs considerably.
Now with the TT, we do the same. There are grocery stores around. No need to schlep a bunch of stuff from home that you're going to use up anyway. Perishable items like milk, 1/2 + 1/2, etc. even wine and beer can ge gotten on the road instead of carting it all over creation.
We rarely eat out and enjoy cooking at the camp. These days "farmer's markets" are popping up everywhere and going local gets you familiar with local peoples.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

If only I showed you the pictures of the mountain of stuff we're supposed to get into our camper for this upcoming trip. It astounds and terrifies me.

I can't wait to get individual wheel weights done. But dread the purging process that will have to come afterwards.