Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

Panel failure on front Pop out and my fix.

The past two camping trips that were taken with the Roo, My WW and I found moisture under the front mattress. First time we just thought it was sweat from 4 days of camping. There had really been no rain to speak of. Don't get much of that all summer long here.
This last trip the moisture was there again. This after a 7 day trip. Difference being this time my WW kind of rubbed the seam at the bottom of the door right above were the hinge is attached. What we found was the plywood on this panel had broken and was soft.
Fast forward
Got back home and I pulled the liner off where the crack was. It was very moist under the liner. Also I could see where the plywood had cracked just above the metal frame. Ran a razor knife along the crack to open it up a little more. About 1/4 inch, and let it dry for a few days. It really dried fast with the liner pulled back. I hoped to reuse the liner so was treating it carefully. I noticed more space under the crack where the Styrofoam should have been. I used minimum expansion foam to fill the void and give the plywood some support from under the plywood. I then took JB weld and filled the crack. I did this three times so I could cover about two inches of the plywood on both sides of the crack. smoothed it out and sanded it.
The liner dried out and shrunk so it could not be reused. Ended up getting something that was close and put it down. The panel is very firm now, So I am hoping this fixed it. Time will tell.
I think where the water was really coming from was from washing the TT after each trip. The Damage had been done over the years with the other owner. We just got it and the final crack happened.
I added some seal material to the door to hopefully help with any water that might be getting in. WW has Speed covers under construction and I will show and report on how they work once they are on and we have had some rain to try them out in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_RAP0610.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	116842   Click image for larger version

Name:	_RAP0615.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	116843   Click image for larger version

Name:	_RAP0620.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	116844   Click image for larger version

Name:	_RAP0619.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	116845  

If you go with the flow, you miss too much.
Randy Pugh
Cadillac Escalade
Rockwood Roo 21SS
Moses Lake WA.
Akrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #2

Man, what a mess. Looks like what might have happened to my 21SS if I hadn't caulked the seams around the edges of the door. (about 2 inches from the edge - hard to explain.)

I had a lot of unexplained moisture on the seal at the bottom of the door. The hardware was starting to rust. I put a thin bead on that seam and no more wet. (Initial damage was probably already done - hope the new owner doesn't cuss me down the road. . .)

BTW - gotta ask a stupid question. (They are kinda my specialty. . .) What does WW mean? I tried to think of some options - but none seemed quite right. (Weight Watcher, Wendy Whiner, Wet Willy, Whimsical Weirdie, White Widow, White Woman, Wicca Wiccan, Wicked Witch, Wild Woman, Wise Witch, Wonder Weasel, Wonder Woman, Wonderful Woman, Working Woman, Worth Watching)
2006 Fleetwood Bayside / 2006 4Runner
1999 Coleman SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #3

WW

Wonderful Wife.

Randy Pugh
Cadillac Escalade
Rockwood Roo 21SS
Moses Lake WA.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #4

Is there not a huge difference in the drop down tent ends starting in 2012? I know that many have done the PVC pipe fix to seal the top end from rain and other fixes involving bent metal... with my 2014 I have yet to see that need, although I have bought the pipe, just have not seen the need to seal it better than the factory did

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrap View Post
Wonderful Wife.
Ahhhh! Makes perfect sense!

I'll add that to my list! Thanks!
2006 Fleetwood Bayside / 2006 4Runner
1999 Coleman SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Eeyore View Post
Man, what a mess. Looks like what might have happened to my 21SS if I hadn't caulked the seams around the edges of the door. (about 2 inches from the edge - hard to explain.)

I had a lot of unexplained moisture on the seal at the bottom of the door. The hardware was starting to rust. I put a thin bead on that seam and no more wet. (Initial damage was probably already done - hope the new owner doesn't cuss me down the road. . .)
What part of the seam did you seal. I have looked at it and it seams (Pardon the pun) that all is sealed good. But sounds like you had the same problem. So far it has worked really good with my fix. But stopping any leakage is the priority at this stage.

Randy Pugh
Cadillac Escalade
Rockwood Roo 21SS
Moses Lake WA.