Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #1

Parking the camper in the backyard.

New TT owner here. Planning to park it in the back yard and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for 1. Yes or no on a cover for the winter. (I live in Mass), and 2. Should I get something to park it on, to keep the tires off the ground (plastic or cement blocks).
Thanks in advance.
Dan-Roo23SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #2

If you have trees, cover it. I just throw a heavy duty tarp over my trailer and use some bungee cords connected to my fence to keep the tarp from touching the sides of the trailer and to allow airflow under the tarp, Keeps things dry, and clean.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

To answer your second question first, you will want to park on pavers if you plan to store the trailer in your back yard.

To your first question, covers are one of the big debates on each of the trailer forums that I frequent. Ask 10 people if they cover and half say yes and half say no.

Here's my take on the debate.

Those who use a cover typically say that it needs to be a good fitted cover that will breathe. The two keys are "fitted" and "breathe". Fitted covers will reduce or eliminate the problem with wind blowing the cover and causing the finish to rub off in areas. Breatheability is important to let the moisture out.

The nice thing about these covers is that you have a clean trailer when Spring comes around. ADCO is a popular but expensive brand of cover. You might be able to find used ones on Ebay.

A plastic tarp does not breathe effectively and may cause mildew and mold. Many people have reported rubbing issues on their trailer; especially if you are in a windy area. Be very careful going that route.

Now, for those who don't believe in the covers.

Those who have used a cover and don't any more say that the cover was a PITA to install and take off and sometimes ripped or broke off pieces of their trailer like the rain spouts.

They will say that a trailer is meant to be outside and they typically point to the trailers sitting all winter on the dealer's lot as proof. Take that for what it is. Dealer's store outside because the alternative is expensive. They would store indoors if possible.

More importantly, these campers say that cold, snow and rain should not cause problems if, and this is important, we do a good job cleaning and maintaining the roof. Every time you clean the roof you need to inspect the sealants around all of the openings and the seams on the roof. You need to thoroughly inspect the roof sealants for potential leaks and reseal any areas of the seams and around openings where you suspect a leak. It also helps to tilt your trailer so that water can drain off as much as possible and not pool any more than necessary.

So, there's no right answer. Actually, the right answer would be to store in a covered area, but not everyone can do that so you can choose to cover or not. Just take the proper precautions with either method and you'll be fine.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:21 AM   #4

cover

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Mass person here. I plan on covering mine to keep the junk from the trees off it. I find the leaves make a big mess once trapped in the knooks and carnies on the roof.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #5

I am fortunate to have a slab next to the house but I still keep the tires in 2x12's to help prevent dry rot of tires. When we do not plan on camping for more than a month, I clean the exterior of the TT and put the cover on (can't remember the brand, more expensive ones). I also cover the tires. I have water, sewer, and power hook ups next to the slab. In the summer, the AC is on and set to 90 deg. In the winter, I put a medium room ceramic heater in the middle of the TT facing forward (where most of the plumbing is exposed) and set it for 60 deg. I have placed a radio frequency thermometer on top of the HW heater in the forward compartment and have monitored the temp and it has never seen below freezing (lowest outside temp I have recorded is 19 deg for less than an hour). My feeling by using the AC and heat is to prevent moisture and warping of doors. So far I am happy with my results. Yes my electric bill is a SMALL bit higher, but figuring the investment in the TT, that is a small expense. Good luck with your decision. My plan was built from opinions of others on this forum as well.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #6

I dont cover my minilite for the winter season. Sometimes covers create problems specially when it is windy. They flaps on the sides and destroy the finish and decals. I give a good fiberglass wax before the winter and I park the wheels on wood 2 by 8 to prevent indentation on the asphalt from the weight of the trailer. I have seen too many trailers with damaged finish from tarps and covers.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #7

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
X2---- Too much damaged caused by the cover(even a little) flapping in the winter wind. I just ruined a 2011 Cargo Trailer with a custom fitted cover last winter. It buffed the shine off the clear coat&paint and the paint completely off the corners. Can you say "Angry at myself". Unless you can cover your trailer AND protect it from the wind, then OK, but otherwise don't do it! You'll be sorry !

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Mass person here. I plan on covering mine to keep the junk from the trees off it. I find the leaves make a big mess once trapped in the knooks and carnies on the roof.
I didn't put this reason in my first post and don't know why as it is probably THE main reason for me getting an ADCO this year . We now live in a pine forest and there is no open area. I'm already washing this trailer way more than I had to with others because of where we live now.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 09-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #9

Here is a picture of our "cover." It protects travel trailer from all kinds of weather and debrie. Also held up to 23" of snow in Jan/Feb 2010.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carport - October 2007 001 (Small) (2).jpg
Views:	550
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	8174  
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #10

I discovered if you use a cover that is a bit too large so it is in contact with the ground the rabbits will think you have built them a very nice hutch. They will gladly move in, reproduce and invite their friends over for parties leaving an unwelcome surprise in the spring!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
Site Team

tarps directly on top of a RV is not a good idea.
if you want to hang one over, so that it doesn't contact it, then that's alright.
because a tarp isn't breathable, it becomes a petri dish for all kinds of mold and mildew.
found that out on my popup. had a roof leak and blue tarped it for the winter. when i took it off, the white roof was almost completely black.

i have an ADCO cover for my HTT, after learning that lesson.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #12

Wow...lots of great feedback and advice. Thanks everyone. Since I will park it under trees, I think I will opt for one of the form fitting covers. They seem to be a reasonable cost for the investment of the TT.
Have also heard that you want to pack in plenty of dryer sheets to keep the mice away. Any other advice on winter storage would be much appreciated.
Dan-Roo23SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Tac
Here is a picture of our "cover." It protects travel trailer from all kinds of weather and debrie. Also held up to 23" of snow in Jan/Feb 2010.
Where did you get this from? That is exactly what i need
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
Anacortesians

We don't get much snow here. Last year we had snow on the gound for 4 days once! We do have significant winds. As an example, today, we've had 40 knots gusting to 65 most of the day and it's not even October yet!

DW wants to put the cover on this year. It came with the rig when we bought it and we had an issue with rain-water getting itnto the living room slide-out overhead last winter.

I'm still leery of the possible damage from flapping, so I'll probably do a trial installation and see how good a fit the thing is. I still want access to the interior to exercise the generator every 6 weeks or so, so that's an issue I'll have to look at once we get the cover on.

Not convinced it's a good idea, but we do have a rubber roof. We also have rabbits, racoons and coyotes resident in the neighborhood.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #15

Is anyone familiar with the CalMark Cover Co.? I saw there ad in the Good Sam Magazine and sent off for some literature. Their warranty is 6 full years--no pro rated clause. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
Is anyone familiar with the CalMark Cover Co.? I saw there ad in the Good Sam Magazine and sent off for some literature. Their warranty is 6 full years--no pro rated clause. Any feedback would be appreciated.
This is a good company to buy a custom-fitted cover made from Sunbrella. Supposedly pricey but you get what you pay for with them. I've only heard good things on the various RV sites I visit.

If you are interested in comparing similar covers, I think the comparison between Adco and CalMark needs to be between the top-of-the-line Adco, which uses Sunbrella and requires a custom fit and the CalMark (also custom and Sunbrella only).

I'll probably order the contour-fit Tyvek from Adco to save some of the cost, although I recently requested a quote from CalMark so we'll see.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 10-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #17

Thanks for the word on CalMark and the Adco Sunbrella version. I received the sample of material yesterday along with all the literature. Tomorrow the DW and I go out to get all the "true" measurements. One concern I have is my TT is a v-nose. I will submit the measurements they request on their form and have to add an additional drawing with some of the front end dimensions.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 10-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I can see why you would want a custom with your trailer. I'm interested in hearing whatever price they quote you if you wouldn't mind sharing.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #19

Hey Triguy, got the measurements they requested and then some. Hope my drawing makes sense to them. They claim to have been in the RV accessory business for over 25 years so hopefully this isn't something brand new to them. It will be dropped in the mail tomorrow. I have asked them for the quote plus lead time once an order is placed. I've seen heavy snow before Thanksgiving here on occasion so I am curious how long it takes them to manufacture a custom cover. I'll let you know what I find out.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 10-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #20
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Tac View Post
i would love to have that cover!