Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
Ok here are our weights with the pathfinder, from a fellow expat from the Uk !!

Weights for a 2010 21RS

Spec sheet dry weight 3659lb
Actual weight empty 4051lb with awning, microwave, AC etc

Trailer weight loaded for camping (family of 4, two small kids under 3) Axle weight 4136lb
Tongue weight 638lb
Total Weight = 4774lb

Now last set of weights with the Pathfinder with passengers and fuel on board plus camping gear and trailer with a Reese Dual cam setup
Front axle 2530lb (rated capacity 2820lb)
Rear Axle 3256lb (rated capacity 3501lb)

So the trailer + Pathfinder came to 10560 lb, GCWR of our pathfinder is 11133lb so we were under by all accounts.

I had a quick look at the spec sheets for both the 21SS and the 233S, both are heavier than our 21RS, but to be honest I think that the frontal area plays a larger part in the towing experience than the additional 400lbs. AS I said previously we found that the pathfinder didn't have enough power to tow at a comfortable speed of around 90 km/hr I felt that we were killing the transmission and the temperatures that I saw reflected that too. The 21SS is going to blow the tongue weight on the pathfinder as it is 645 dry, and although the WDH will throw weight back to the trailer wheels it doesn't increase the TV tongue capacity as I understand it.

We went with a dual cam WDH with sway control spent the extra money and the semis were fine once you got used to them, the wind on the prairies when it was on the quarter was another matter.

My advise as someone who has been there and done that is to think about this carefully, you talk about travelling 6 hours with this setup that is going to be draining, but could be done. Do you know someone who has a small trailer that you could try towing with ?

I had no previous towing experience, you might differ. I understand fully the need to get a reasonable sized trailer, we love our time away with the kids and don't regret doing it at all even though we went over budget and ended up with the truck.

Another option if you are due to change TV in a few years is look for a used trailer to get you through and then if and when you get a truck get the trailer that you really want rather than one that you have to get to be able to tow with the pathfinder.

We love the 21RS as it is small enough to get into all of the tight sites at the provincial parks, but if weight was not an issue when we purchased we would have gone for something with a side slide.

2011 F150 Ecoboost Screw 4x4 c/w max tow
2010 Roo 21RS
buzzmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
I was in a similar boat. We didn't have a tow capable vehicle at all, and we were trying to find out if we wanted to upgrade to a large SUV, or get an extra tow vehicle. At the end of the day I bought a 1999 F150 5.4L with factory tow from a coworker. This way we kept our investment reasonable and we can sell it at the same cost if needed.

Our weights are similar to previous poster, trailer axle 3920, total 9620. the F150 is unflappable, but could use more power. This is not to say it doesn't do the job, but if you make it go uphill at 60 mph, it will kick in second gear and get a bit loud. So far it has been fine and temperature readouts didn't really move at all. I have yet to have problems with wind or sway and I have driven in tree-bending conditions. The truck makes 250hp.

Skelshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
Well, I dont have either the vehicle you describe or the trailer you wish to purchase. Up intil last summer, I had a 2005 Jayco 186 that I towed with my 1995 V6 4x4 Isuzu Rodeo SUV. I towed it eith prodgigy brake control and a WD. It was considered a lightweigh TT, weighing about 3300 fully loaded. I had no problem pulling on a straight away and up small hills...bit I kive in Washington state where hills are long and roads are winding curves. It was a challenge for my TV to pull up the hills and I jist hated using it after awhile...

I loved the trailer but not at the expense of destroying my beloved Rodeo. I decided to sell the Jayco as the timing and market was ripe. I took excellent care of the trailer and sold it for the price I bought it for, 6 years prior...and bought a smaller unit but in a twist of luck, came across an excellent deal for a used 2004 Nissan Titan...LOL - so now I have more towing power for a smaller easier to tow trailer...and I still have the Rodeo if I should decide to still use it to tow. LOL

My advice is to look for a smaller unit you can comfortably pull without the concern of slowly killing your Pathfinder. It is truly a sick stressful feeling of pulling a trailer up a long hill and hoping you'll make it up with a speed higher than 25 dont want to become a road hazard...I even got a bumper sticker that I put on the back of the Jayco that said "Avoid the rush, pass me now"

Best of luck in your search

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
So, I live in Ontario too. First off don't do it. Second, the lorries on the 401 will have you looking for baby wipes before you get out of the city limits. Third, hills in Ontario are steep and long so don't kid yourself. The difference here is the altitude. You can still pull double digit grades for a kilometer in northern ontario. You will see plenty of double digit grades just going over the escarpment.

I am giving you my experience. Chevy Colorado and a 21SS. I went to an F150.

All things being equal, you won't be happy in the end and it won't be pleasant. Yep it will likely do it but not well.

Remember those are small trailers that weigh 5500+ lbs loaded. They are a lot of trailer. I have many many happy miles with the F150. I was in no position to purchase a new TV in 2010 but after an experience with the big wheeler at the bend on the 401 just before the harmony exit at the GM build, I figured safety was worth the extra money.

Now if your prepared to do all your trips in perfect weather on two lane roads at 60 km/h then go for it.

Please heed our warnings. We are only trying to save you from the mistakes we made.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #15
Thanks for the input. This is useful information and gives me a lot to work with. I'm not going to get a new TV, so I'll have to try a smaller TT I think.

Ideally, I'd live to get an F150 ecoboost but I'm still paying for the pathfinder, so that's not gonna fly at home!!!!

Cheers guys.
thorin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #16
Flagstaff 625D Popup
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
I even got a bumper sticker that I put on the back of the Jayco that said "Avoid the rush, pass me now"
I love that... Where did you get it.
I HAVE to get one of those.

OP: We had the same problem. We only had an explorer for a TV. To me it just wasn't worth putting my family (or others on the road) in danger just to have a nice big trailer.

We ended up getting a flagstaff 625D pop-up and really like it. We have since upgraded to a 2012 F150 Ecoboost, but will have to wait for that to get paid off before purchasing a larger trailer. But we like the pop-up so it's not a big deal.

bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #17
Yeah, I'm reassessing our choices... and rethinking the way we'll use the TT...

Looks like something smaller is on the cards, maybe the 183...
thorin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Well we had a 2002 pathfinder old body style with V6 and the Japanese tow vehicles in my book are weak. Our trailer is a 2012 19ft roo we towed once with pathy and that was enough, choppy ride pedal to the ground and windy conditions blowing us around. We have sway and weight distribution but it was a strain on pathy, so we bought a expedition 2003 5.4 and much better. We also live in Ontario north of the city and the hills and the winds can be hell on a short wheel base TV, on our trip to Tobermory we had 85km plus winds on front side of truck and trailer and we felt it sway with the expedition if it was the pathy I would have used all the baby wipes in that 1 hour drive north. In my experiences it's not all about the weight of your trailer it's about it's aerodynamic capabilities the day you travel and if your TV is up to it. My advice have more TV then trailer and you will use less baby wipes when the weather and the road are a challenge. Good luck.
2014 23RS Roo
2003 Ford Expedition
2014 Camping Nights = 22
2014 Rain Days = 3 Snow Days = 0
patkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #19
Hey Thorin21

We just bought a 2013 233S from RVWholesalers a couple of weeks ago and drove back to Ontario. Our tow vehicle is a 2010 Chevrolet Suburban with the Heavy Duty Tow Package, integrated brake controller, WDH and anti sway etc etc. There is NO way I would want to pull our 233S with any V6 short wheel base SUV like the Pathfinder. That is not to say that your Pathfinder won't tow the trailer it will most definitely be a "baby wipe" experience as others have said. Forget just going up the hills - what about down them in a cross wind?

I think you will have to consider the 183 which is a nice trailer. A good friend of mine tows his 2011 Roo 19 with an Acura MDX so it can be done, but even he admits that a bigger tow vehicle is needed if they begin to do some long 1 or 2 week trips.
fortycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
Great info here, since I also own a Pathfinder with theV6 (2008) and looking getting TT. Thanks guys!

MN_Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote

233, 233s