Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #21

Roo is home! All went well with the Demo. Tech was great. Answered all our questions gave some tips as well. Both of us were surprised that the mattresses are heated.. Did not even know that. Had to have some minor adjustments done but thanks to all for the great info otherwise would have been lost on the walk through.

Also purchased the CIPA mirrors for my truck. Glad I did. Visibility is poor with the stock mirrors but usable. Definitely needed a second person for the back up.
Already started stocking it and thinking of all the great things that can be done to modify a bit.. but first get a couple trips under our belts to see how it all flows..

Was not sure how to insert photo but hope it works! Happy Camper now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 Roo 21SS small.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	27703  
gscarter100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #22

Congrats and welcome to the Roo Crew!
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #23

Congrats!!
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #24

Congrats on your new Roo and welcome to the forum!

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS

BradinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #25
Engineer of Crazy Train

I got rid of my jack wheel for an extended leg. I didn't care for the wheel.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Both of us were surprised that the mattresses are heated.. Did not even know that.
When you use them for the first time, don't expect to put your hand under the blankets and feel a lot of warmth, like an electric blanket. They only put out about 150 watts, about as much as a large light bulb, and it's spread out over the whole matress. Just crank it up and crawl in. You'll probably be cranking it down in an hour or two. First time we used it, it got down to about 40 degrees. In the morning my wife said she'd turned it down to about one half.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #27
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

When you use them for the first time, don't expect to put your hand under the blankets and feel a lot of warmth, like an electric blanket. They only put out about 150 watts, about as much as a large light bulb, and it's spread out over the whole matress. Just crank it up and crawl in. You'll probably be cranking it down in an hour or two. First time we used it, it got down to about 40 degrees. In the morning my wife said she'd turned it down to about one half.
I bet I will be using mine this weekend, with night time lows in the mid 30s.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #28

gscarter100 How did the ram 1500 pull the roo 21ss??? I might have to upgrade my tow vehicle from a Tacoma to a 1/2 ton due to the 6cyl and worried about the hills. I was looking into the ram but wasn't to sure about the rear coil springs and how much they would compress with the trailer and any weight in the bed as we like to take firewood and the kids toys and such in the bed. Any info you could give me on the ram in general and with towing the roo would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much and good luck with the new camper. Oh anything to look out for during the walkthrough??? Happy Camping
redrider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider13 View Post
gscarter100 How did the ram 1500 pull the roo 21ss??? I might have to upgrade my tow vehicle from a Tacoma to a 1/2 ton due to the 6cyl and worried about the hills. I was looking into the ram but wasn't to sure about the rear coil springs and how much they would compress with the trailer and any weight in the bed as we like to take firewood and the kids toys and such in the bed. Any info you could give me on the ram in general and with towing the roo would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much and good luck with the new camper. Oh anything to look out for during the walkthrough??? Happy Camping
Hi Redrider13.

This being my first time pulling/towing anything in my life I am not sure I have all the information. First thing is that I find truck ownership is a preference. I have always been a Dodge/Ram fan, but have friends that love their Fords or Chevys. I just prefer the Ram.

Being my first experience I found it very easy to pull. I picked up my Ram in January on the Used side of the lot. 24K on it but still brand new to me. Its a Big Horn Edition with lots of bells and whistles (not near as much as my trade in vehicle) but I did get it for the planned towing. I am running a 5.7 Hemi and have the Crew with 4x4. (I had another ram that I had to get rid of back in 09 - only had a 4.7 in it and felt that it was under-powered. The hemi makes a difference) I had the Husky Stabilizer and sway bar damper installed for the trailer. Pulling off the lot for the first time had to use more power than I was used to but it did its thing. I found it towed well (not into the hills much in my neck of the woods until I get out on the camping trips) but definitely could tell I was towing something. Braking was not bad at all. Started a bit early the first time but figured it out as I went. Over all for a first timer I would give it a "9" out of "10" but then again I was not loaded at all. Basically there is a lot of room for weight with the truck capacity. I do not think I will ever get it up to what it is rated for but never know.

Will report back later this weekend as we have our stuff loaded and will be moving it to our storage facility until first trip!

Happy Camping and truck hunting!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider13 View Post
Oh anything to look out for during the walkthrough??? Happy Camping
Forgot to add. The inspection check list that you can get at the begging of this thread was really handy. I tested everything.. drawers, burners what ever moved. Took about an hour for the walk through but if you are like me I have been up and down this forum and as well researched everything I could on the internet. I found only one thing that bothered me and that was the TV (not like I plan to use it much). The arms were way to tight could not move it at all or even turn it. The Tech took care of it right away. No other problems found.

When we got it home I opened it up fully - we have rain here in New England and wanted to test for leaks.. so far so good. Nothing Dry as can be.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #31

How great! our family tent camped for 9 years, then popups (2) over 23 years, and we finally graduated to a Roo 21ss. We pick ours up on Sat, 4/20. We are very excited and looking forward to the upcoming camping season.
Chazwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazwhacker View Post
How great! our family tent camped for 9 years, then popups (2) over 23 years, and we finally graduated to a Roo 21ss. We pick ours up on Sat, 4/20. We are very excited and looking forward to the upcoming camping season.
Congratulations Chazwaker on your 21SS! I know how exciting it can be. The 11th could not come fast enough. Spent this past weekend stocking up and organizing things.. My girlfriend and I are so excited we searched and searched for a camp ground open the 1st of May so we can get out and use it. Not that easy to find in New England.. but we are headed out on 5/3 up to Maine for our first trip and then two weeks later again up further north in Maine..

I am sure you will enjoy it. We loved it and so much room for the two of us and our dog. Hoping to get 7 or 8 trips in this first year and hoping that our kids will find time to join us (she has 1 from previous marriage and me 2)..