Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 49
Plastic trim cracked on roof: decorative or need sealing?

There are two pieces of plastic trim that start on the roof and run down the front on each side of my Roo 183. (See attached pictures)

One side has split & cracked in multiple places which would allow water to get in.

Anyone seen this and have advice on how to address?

I noticed when I was up on the roof applying Dicor. Wasn't sure if that was a water seal that I need to address or just a decorative piece. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428925897.484875.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	74083Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428925912.610170.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	74084


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
______________________________

2013 Rockwood Roo 183L
2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax
olwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
vinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 1,793
I believe that piece is decorative in that it covers the screw channel that is used to attach the corners of the unit.

It is easily replaced as the trim just pinches itself into the track.

Vin.
__________________

__________________

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
jeff64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 908
I agree Vinmaker,
__________________
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:59 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 49
Gotcha! Thanks guys


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
______________________________

2013 Rockwood Roo 183L
2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax
olwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:09 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by olwalker View Post
Gotcha! Thanks guys


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
You can buy a roll here Standard Insert Trim - White
crunchman
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by olwalker View Post
There are two pieces of plastic trim that start on the roof and run down the front on each side of my Roo 183. (See attached pictures)

One side has split & cracked in multiple places which would allow water to get in.

Anyone seen this and have advice on how to address?

I noticed when I was up on the roof applying Dicor. Wasn't sure if that was a water seal that I need to address or just a decorative piece. Attachment 74083Attachment 74084


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Same thing has happened to my FR 264 only mine are black. I'm going to Camper World next week and pick up a new roll and replace mine.
__________________
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange Texas
Posts: 608
Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Put a little Dicor on those screw heads when you are installing a new trim and then a little on the ends. Pull a couple of the screws to see if there is any rust on the threads.
__________________

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Put a little Dicor on those screw heads when you are installing a new trim and then a little on the ends. Pull a couple of the screws to see if there is any rust on the threads.
X2- On my last trailer, I pulled one screw at a time and pumped a bit of Dicor in each hole. Half the screws were rusty indicating water infiltration. Great reminder Tiggerdad, I forgot to mention that to the OP.
crunchman
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by olwalker View Post
There are two pieces of plastic trim that start on the roof and run down the front on each side of my Roo 183. (See attached pictures)

One side has split & cracked in multiple places which would allow water to get in.

Anyone seen this and have advice on how to address?

I noticed when I was up on the roof applying Dicor. Wasn't sure if that was a water seal that I need to address or just a decorative piece. Attachment 74083Attachment 74084


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Hi olwalker,
After you finish the screw cover trim...
The first pic looks like your awning might not be rolling up straight. The awning fabric appears to be overlapping and creeping to the right instead of lining up straight on the awning tube. If the awning seems like it is binding on the rails (when opening or closing ) that attach to the trailer, we can help get that straight for you too.
crunchman
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Hi olwalker,
After you finish the screw cover trim...
The first pic looks like your awning might not be rolling up straight. The awning fabric appears to be overlapping and creeping to the right instead of lining up straight on the awning tube. If the awning seems like it is binding on the rails (when opening or closing ) that attach to the trailer, we can help get that straight for you too.
crunchman

Crunchman - I think you are right! I just looked at the picture and noticed that too. And it does feel like the awning rails stick when open and close! Wow

What do I need to do to fix/address that? Thank you!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
______________________________

2013 Rockwood Roo 183L
2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax
olwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
roo, roof

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.