Old 07-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Please help me evaluate and tweek my hitch

I recently upgraded from a 1500 to a 2500 truck to tow my Roo 21SS. I had to get a new shank to drop my ball down about 4 inches. Today I went to the Cat scale and had everything weighed and would like to get feedback on how it looks and if I need to make any adjustments. I believe the height is pretty good as the camper is pretty close to level. Maybe the front is 1/2 inch higher but it depends on where it is sitting. Here are my weights.

With camper hitched with w/d bars in place:
Front axle - 3860 lbs
Rear axle - 3940 lbs
Camper axles - 4440 lbs

Truck without camper:
Front axle - 4160 lbs
Rear axle - 3060 lbs

When hitched and the bars attached the truck rear drops about 1 inch at the wheel wells. The front rises about 1/2 inch at the wheel wells. From my calculations the tongue weight is 740 lbs and the weight of the camper is 5140. Tongue weight is a little under 15% of trailer weight.
Do I need to tweak anything? Maybe shift a little more weight to the front axle? Everything seemed to handle great but this is the first time I have set up one of these hitches. The dealer did it the first time. Here are some pictures of my setup.

grubbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
Canadian Member
Please help me evaluate and tweek my hitch

I have the 4 point Equalizer hitch but I see you chose the E2. Do you have the installation instructions for your E2 hitch?

Generally, Equalizer suggests that you measure the drop/rise at the wheel wells without the bars and set it up so that the with the bars installed the drop/rise is cut at least in half. It should not go the other way and take weight off the front axle.

Do your fine tuning on a flat, level surface and make sure that the trailer and bars are close to level when you're done.

It's a bit hard to tell from the pics but you may be slightly nose down with your current setup. Your numbers are showing it's taking weight off the front axle with the bars installed. That should not be the case so you definitely do need to tune your setup to get weight back on your front axle.

Can I ask why you chose the E2 rather than the 4 point Equalizer? And why did you feel you needed to upgrade your truck to tow the 21SS?

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew with Max. Towing
10K Equal-i-zer

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Can I ask why you chose the E2 rather than the 4 point Equalizer? And why did you feel you needed to upgrade your truck to tow the 21SS?
I didn't choose the E2. It was what the dealer included with the camper when I bought it. It seems to be a nice hitch.
I upgraded the tv for several reasons. First was the payload of the 1500. With the tongue weight being over 700 lbs that only left about 900 lbs of payload capacity. Once I load 3 others in the truck and gear in the bed I was approaching capacity. I like having buffer. Second reason was the ride of the 1500. It was quite spongy even with air bags. Third was the engine. It did a good job most of the time, but again I like buffer. The final reason was upgrade ability for a camper in the future. I am quite happy with the 2500. It has a larger engine and yet gets about the same gas mileage as the 1500 (maybe a little better, time will tell). Also got a good deal.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
I personally think your doing good. I believe having a 2500 with that particular size trailer, you've got plenty of buffer--i.e. to not have to be dead on with the hitch. To note, being nose down a little bit, that could push a little further down if you haul a lot of cargo. Again though, I think the buffer (in all areas) you have with this 2500 with only a 21/22ft trailer, you don't have to get overly anal with the fine tuning. My opinion.
Roocrew1 MI
2012 233S
2010 Expedition EL Limited 3:73 with Air Suspension
Roocrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
The front of the camper is not actually lower. That is just the perspective of the picture. When I measured where it is sitting in the picture, the front was about a half inch higher. Another place I was parked the front measured about 3/4 inch higher. Maybe adding another washer would load a little more weight to the front axle. Would that also lift the rear of the truck and consequently the front of the camper? If it did that I may have to lower the hitch to the bottom hole in the shank.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
For your truck and that size camper I'd say tow 'n go!
Vermontsurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
Looks good to me
2015 Wildcat 337FB
2006 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW - Duramax
Taybrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
Looks good to me as well.
Kristina & Family
2015 Sunseeker 3170ds
'13 Honda Pilot -Kar Kaddy 3

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 29
hockeytownmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
Site Team
First let me commend you on going so far as to weigh it to see where you are. Most do not go this far. I learned early on adjusting by weighing gave me my best setups. I would transfer more weight to the front. Ideally your roo should be level or slightly nose down but level is the preferred attitude of the trailer. You want your front axle as close to unloaded weight without going heavier. Keep tweaking it, you will get there. this thread might help you learn how to better adjust your hitch.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #10
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am camping now and towed about 130 miles to get here. Before we left I put one more washer in my setup and that put the front of the truck back to pre-hitch level. I am very happy with the way it towed. Going 60-65 was smooth sailing.