View Poll Results: Awning in or out?
What Awning? 0 0%
Only extended it when I am going to be under it. 32 25.20%
Extended it for the day, roll up at night 30 23.62%
Extend it for the entire weekend 41 32.28%
Extend if for the weekend only if I can secure it down with tie downs or something else... 24 18.90%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2015, 08:23 AM   #21
Old Ram Guy
Out with OC's awning poles and I keep track of the weather. If it is supposed to get really windy the awning comes in. I've had it out in winds up to 20 - 25 MPH with no problems so I don't worry about it too much. I've always wondered how much wind OC's poles can really take, but I ain't bold enough to test them in extreme winds. I'm thinking the trailer might blow away and the awning poles would still be there!!

Marty, Jenice and DD
Avenger61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #22
So what are OCs, and what is Turb's awning remote control? Picking ours up Monday, so need to start paying attention to these things!

karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #23
I worked at a campground one summer where there were often afternoon thunderstorms. We had numerous incidences of broken awnings flapping in the wind. Staking the awning to the ground helped but an awning is a big area to catch the wind.
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #24
RV (Not so) Noob

In definitely when we are not at camp or when we turn in for the night or when it is windy. Haven't looked at tie downs or awning poles yet but would still likely pull it in when windy.
Me, Wifey, Thing 1 & 2 plus Gracie the Shitzu rescue
FR Shamrock 233S 2015
2008 Tacoma Double Cab
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #25
Originally Posted by VaTechMan View Post
While at a campsite for a weekend, do your leave your owning extended the entire time or do you only extend it when you are using it?

I have a 23ikss, with the power awning on it. I have read many posts where people have had them damaged by high wind and such... Since I am just starting out, I do not want to get it damaged, but at the camp ground last weekend, even with a major storm coming in on Friday evening, most people just had them out and left out. I am just looking to see if I am being too cautious.
All depends on the wind.
2015 Legacy 340KP
2012 Wrangler Sport
captnrick3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #26
It's out unless we leave the CG or bad weather hits.
19xx Wife (named Melissa)
2014 Akita (named Mizuki)
2015 F250XLT 6.2l V8, 4x4, Supercrew, 3.73 Rear
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #27
I leave mine out during the day and bring it in at night. Never know if wind will pick up while sleeping.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #28
Rodney & Patty
awnings at camp

We always try to pick sites where we don't have a wind from all across the lake so we can leave ours out for our entire stay. Some times 2 weeks at a time... both of our last two units have had 20 ft manual awnings. Normally the windward end of the awning we set up carport style so we can double stake it. The other end is secured too and we use deflappers. In the event of real severe storm's I will lower the awning down as low as it can go and stake it tight. In most cases we will have our mats down with 4-6 chairs and all kinds of other camping stuff and never take it up until it's time to go home. I have seen many awnings ripped or ripped off through the years but never an issue with my own.
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #29
Site Team
Leave out unless expecting winds. Especially if door side has direct sun. In winter don't use as much so sun can warm camper walls. Biggest concern Is high winds.
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #30
My old motorhome had a manual Colorado awning and that thing was tough, I would leave it out even in storms. It would anchor to the ground and it didn't move. The only time I ever put it in was during a huge storm on South Padre Island, I think it could have handled it but better safe than sorry. I swear that thing was the chuck Norris of awnings!!

For the last year we have had the power scissor awning that comes on the wildwoods and we leave it in unless we are going to be under it. At the most we might leave it out a foot or two to keep the rain off of the stuff we tuck under the camper while it rains.

2015 WildWood 27RKSS
2012 Ford F350 King Ranch FX4
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

awning, camping