Old 08-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Resident Masshole

Popup Gizmos - my D'oh! moment

Sharing my Popup Gizmo initial install experience so it doesn't happen to you.

This past Saturday I took the first one out of the box (ordered the super high wind set), put it on the front bunk with DW's help, and noticed it was way too narrow to fit over the bunk end!

So I folded it back up and put it back on the box to avoid getting it dirty, with a plan to call Bob from PopupGizmo's on Monday and explain my predicament.

Here it is Monday...and to Bob's credit (the PopUp Gizmo guy), he did a fantastic job not laughing or outright calling me an idiot when he asked "did you try the other one in the box? One is wider than the other on the Roo's"

D'oh!!

Lesson learned...don't make assumptions, and always take everything out of the box!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130824_170744_116.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	38670  

Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing, Tom. Very easy mistake to have made.

I have three of the PUGs with one being larger for the front bunk. When storing, I fold that one so the green is on the outside and the other two so the silver is out. Makes it easy to know what goes where the next time. That's my tip of the week.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #3

When we had our popup we purchased a pair and had 1 queen bed and 1 king bed so ours were different sizes as well. We got a black magic marker and labeled them on one corner so it wouldn't happen again! I did at least try both of them and figured out I was the idiot not Bob! LOL
Old 08-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Resident Masshole

Good tips guys! I saw another one where someone used a carbiner to quickly fasten the cords together, so I plan on applying that mod too.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

We ordered a set of the super high wind before we took delivery of our Roo 233s. After the first time we attached them our initial thoughts were that they were not all that of a good fit. Way too much excess on the rear and side bed as well as the front bed being far too tight of a fit. With all the trips out this summer the front one finally started coming apart at a seam. I took pictures and contacted Bob with PUGS. I sent him pictures of what I was seeing in terms of the seam and what the others fit like. He replied promptly and asked for measurements of the ones he sent. Turns out I was sent gizmos for the 21ss and 23ss and not a one for the 233s. Doh!

True to what I have heard about Bob he immediately jumped on taking care of us. He sent me a return label for our gizmos and he is going to ship us the proper ones for our unit. He wants us also to reattach the front and take note of how much smaller it needs to be. He reminded me that the seam that was coming apart was because it was pulled too tight. We had already begun using a small bungee to make up for the tightness the last two trips out. By then the tear had already begun. I am going to rehang the front bunk gizmo and let him know how much should come off for a perfect fit. We are going to do that this weekend when we setup camp.

I'm thinking for anyone purchasing these it would be great to know what they should look like when they get attached. I know 'force' you had front and back mixed up when attaching. In my case I was sent the wrong ones by mistake. I am attaching the pictures of what our rear bunk looked like setup. Would be great to see other Roo owners pictures and what a good fit looks like! Also, comforting to know that Bob is there to support his customers the way he does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gizmorear1.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	38679   Click image for larger version

Name:	gizmorear2.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	38680  

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
Resident Masshole

I will second that Bob is a great guy and stands by his products 100%. In fact he was ready to send me a new set before I had the chance to hang up and check that the 2nd gizmo was the right fit.

I will post some pics after our Labor Day trip
Old 08-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #7

Do most people buy these? I haven't uses my 2013 Roo 23SS in the rain yet so I don't know if I have a leaking problem. I did buy it used from the dealer and it shows no signes of bunk water damage.
Just wondering.
5.7-liter Hemi V-8

2015 nights camped - 5
Tewksburyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewksburyduck View Post
Do most people buy these? I haven't uses my 2013 Roo 23SS in the rain yet so I don't know if I have a leaking problem. I did buy it used from the dealer and it shows no signes of bunk water damage.
Just wondering.
Pugs (popup gizmos) are very popular amongst hybrid and popup campers. Their benefits are that they keep the tent ends cooler in hot weather and warmer in cold weather. They are not a cure for leaky bunk ends.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Pugs (popup gizmos) are very popular amongst hybrid and popup campers. Their benefits are that they keep the tent ends cooler in hot weather and warmer in cold weather. They are not a cure for leaky bunk ends.
...dont forget they keep the bed ends very clean (easier to wash the gizmos) and they also darken the bed end a bit for those who would prefer it to stay a little darker later in the morning!

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

the front PUG is always longer than the rear or side one, because of the front "rake" of the trailer.
due to the "rake", the front canvas is longer than the others, which have no "rake" since they are on a vertical wall.

and Tewks, like Scott said, PUG's have nothing to really do with leak prevention. its main purpose is temp control in the canvas bunk ends.
of course, it might help direct some of the rain away from the seams and sides.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop up