Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #1

Power question

Had an initial look at a used 2012 21ssL. Will shore/household power not run all systems on the trailer regardless if the batteries are installed? The owner had to hook up the batteries to get the interior lights to work even though he was plugged into his house.

2014 Roo 21ssL...towed by 2015 Ram Power Wagon
RACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #2

The converter should have ran the lights with no battery hooked up. If it has slides, it will need the help of a battery. If you use the furnace you will need a good battery.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKMAN View Post
Had an initial look at a used 2012 21ssL. Will shore/household power not run all systems on the trailer regardless if the batteries are installed? The owner had to hook up the batteries to get the interior lights to work even though he was plugged into his house.
Something is not right if the only way the lights work is with a battery and the unit was plugged into shore power.

Possibilities.
Bad converter.
Bad wiring connection.
Breaker is tripped for converter.
Battery Reverse polarity fuses blown in converter.
There was actually no shore power going to camper "breaker in house was tripped"

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #4

No I think that if you don't have the battery hooked up you will have an open circuit for the 12 volt converter. had this same thing on my wildwood tt.
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #5

Where is the converter and breakers located on the 21ssL?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J Silverback View Post
No I think that if you don't have the battery hooked up you will have an open circuit for the 12 volt converter. had this same thing on my wildwood tt.

Ron, your lights should work with no batt. as long and the converter is working corretly. They will be a little dimmer, but they should work. Anything that needs a 'load' of power, the slides, and furnace will have a really hard time working with no batt, but the lights...will work. Disconnect your batt. and have the unit plugged in. If your lights do not work, then you may need to look into it.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Les is correct.
If there's no battery and shore power is hooked up and the converter is working then all 12v items should work.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Always Learning

I've read reports on here that some WFCO converters won't work without a battery.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've read reports on here that some WFCO converters won't work without a battery.
To correct that......

The wfco system "will" work without a battery but it's NOT recommended to run without a battery.

They are designed to have that battery as a buffer.

Whereas progressive dynamics 9200 series converters are designed to run without a battery.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #10

Quote:

Is it the 'converters' or is it some of the 12v systems that will not work with out a batt? Some systems do not have the ummff to get going that a low voltage trickle charge of the converter can produce when needed. I know that the furnace will not start up with out the battery, or even a with a bad battery (camped in the snow and blow...no heat..shorted old age batt., new batt,furnace on... momma happy) Same with the slide motors.... the converter will not be able to put out enough consistent steady juice to get them going with the force needed. I will never say that all converters 'need' a battery to 'produce' 12v juice.... but it seems strange to me. I am what is called a 'generalist', I know a lot about a lot of stuff, but expert in nothing.... that is why I am married.... she is the one that know 'everything'.....

Blessings

Old 03-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
To correct that......

The wfco system "will" work without a battery but it's NOT recommended to run without a battery.

Thanks for clarifying. It's the first that I've seen that distinction (though, I can't say I've always paid attention).
Old 03-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #12

Quote:
To correct that......

Whereas progressive dynamics 9200 series converters are designed to run without a battery.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Very true, the process that is going on is that the converter is putting out the max of 14.5v (or close) in order to 'charge' the batteries ("More Power, I need More Power, Scotty "..... "I'm giving you all the Power that I can Captain"). When the converter senses that the battery is at fully charge it will go into the trickle mode of around 2-3 v. for maintenance of the batt. If it is kept at Max charge for an extended time... something will burn out and 'no converter'...

Old 03-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. It's the first that I've seen that distinction (though, I can't say I've always paid attention).
We'll ive always said it "wont work" when in fact it will work but highly not recommended!
It'll burn up the converter "wfco"

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:
We'll ive always said it "wont work" when in fact it will work but highly not recommended!
It'll burn up the converter "wfco"

TURBS
Sabre owners united!

This is a good reason for everyone to have good batteries in their units that can take a charge and be charged up and keep maintain a charge. If you toss in any old battery and think that is ok..... it is not, ok to your converter. the converter will be working overtime to charge up your battery that will never be able to be charged up. This high charge rate overtime will heat up (and melt down) your converter. No body wants to be spending big bucks on a new converter. So keep your converter happy by having a good battery.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #15

Okay so no one knows for sure on this subject? Should I contact Forest River or will that be a complete waste of time? I think it is strange that shore power would not run everything with or without batteries. What about those who purchase RVs to simply park year round at an RV park and never require batteries? My pop up will run ALL electrical on shore power with or without batteries including the fridge and furnace. I'm new to full size TT so is it not the same converter setup as my popup?

Old 03-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #16
rbq

Just one suggestion to try. Check to see that your battery disconnect swith is not in the off position. I remember one time I had mine off & shore power connected & I was surprised that some of the power came through despite the battery switch being off. Could do some weird things with the power.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #17

According to their website WFCO converters provide 12 vdc even without a battery:

WF-9855 55 Amp Power Converter
WF-9855
Description

The WF-9800 Series converter/chargers are versatile, advanced power source solutions. The WF-9855 model provides 55 amps of clean, reliable DC power, which is ideal for powering electronics and appliances. The 9800 Series provides clean power, even without filtering from a battery. Quiet operation is assured as the cooling fan runs only when needed.

Another advantage is FCC Class B compliance for the WF-9855 model, which means that the converter does not cause interference with televisions, radios or other signals. Automatic three-stage battery charging maintains your battery’s life with three nominal voltage output modes: 13.2 Vdc range “float” mode, 13.6 Vdc range “absorption” mode, and a 14.4 Vdc range “bulk” charge mode. Electronic current limiting automatically shuts down the power during overload or short-circuit conditions.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #18

Interesting topic

I had reason to unhook my battery awhile back to check a switch out.
Well I forgot to run the slides out BEFORE I unhooked it so I just plugged it in.

Slides ran out just fine, all the lights worked as normal as did the stereo and the telly.

I did not try the furnace but I do need to see which brand I have (WFCO or an other brand) and then ascertain if I may have harmed whatever I have.

Thanks for the heads up!

Tags
power