Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

power tongue jack

When we came home from Florida we left the refrigerator running on propane saince we had food in there so the battery was on. By the time I got the camper back to the storage unit, I ran out of battery power while trying to disconnect the camper from my truck. I was lucky and kept playing with it and waiting and finally got it up enough for the ball to drop out. Whew.

So I have been thinking and wanted to get some opinions. I was thinking of getting a 4 way or 7 way plug with wire on it and using 2 wires to add clips to it so if this happens again I can plug it into my truck and power the tongue jack from there. Good idea or bad? I figure I may have to turn my headlights on if I did it with a 4 way.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm not sure I'm following or understanding this correct.....which is nothing new for me. LOL

Are you saying that you DON'T have any power going to your tongue jack from your tow vehicle, when plugged into your tow vehicle............or did you unhook the trailer connector from your tow vehicle before trying to raise/lower your tongue jack?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Most tongue jacks will be powered if you are hooked to the tow vehicle.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #4

My power tongue jack is connected to the 12v battery on my camper. It is not getting any power from my tow vehicle. Should my TV be charging my camper battery while driving down the road?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by grege View Post
My power tongue jack is connected to the 12v battery on my camper. It is not getting any power from my tow vehicle. Should my TV be charging my camper battery while driving down the road?
Should if the tv is wired for it.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, your TV should be charging the campers battery with the alternator. You need to check why you don't have power on your 7 pin plug...not sure which pin it is...the pin out should be marked on the plug.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Yes, your TV should be charging the campers battery with the alternator. You need to check why you don't have power on your 7 pin plug...not sure which pin it is...the pin out should be marked on the plug.

Dave
Dave, maybe this diagram will help him. As I stated previously, I was wondering why your battery was discharged if it had been hooked to your tow vehicle. You could possibly have power from your tow vehicle, but have a bad battery on the trailer that won't take a charge properly. You will want to check both aspects out in your troubleshooting:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #8

I took it home and charged it so I think the battery is fine. I did have to install a relay in my truck. Maybe I put it in the wrong place. I thought the camper should be charging from the truck but wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing this up. I will figure out what is going on and get it fixed. Then I won't need the jumper.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #9

You may have to turn the key on in the truck to enable the power to the trailer as well.
bwbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #10

I just checked it with a meter and definitely no power to charge. I looked in the fuse panel and no fuse in that slot. I will get oen from Auto Zone on the way home.

Thanks all
Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #11

thats whats great about the group on here. I own a Tundra but I knew that Ford's had a relay and fuse to charge while in tow...Can anyone imagine how hard it would be to learn anything without the internet?...Encyclopedias and a Abacus...HA!
billt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
I just checked it with a meter and definitely no power to charge. I looked in the fuse panel and no fuse in that slot. I will get oen from Auto Zone on the way home.

Thanks all
You will find with FORD's they do not normally install the fuse and relay that carry the charge fromTV to trailer battery, but they are both placed in a bag in the glove box. Surprising yes, why no clue but ford does not install these.
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt01 View Post
thats whats great about the group on here. I own a Tundra but I knew that Ford's had a relay and fuse to charge while in tow...Can anyone imagine how hard it would be to learn anything without the internet?...Encyclopedias and a Abacus...HA!
And folks would have to actually read the instructions that come with the receptacles which we did long before the internet. Had charge wire on our first tow vehicle, a 1972 Cadillac Eldorado.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #14

True words..

However, you can learn how to do rocket surgery or brain science from the interweb.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
And folks would have to actually read the instructions that come with the receptacles which we did long before the internet. Had charge wire on our first tow vehicle, a 1972 Cadillac Eldorado.
billt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #15

Yeah I installed a fuse and relay from the bag but I must have put the relay in the wrong place. No way I'll figure out where so I will buy another fuse.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt01 View Post
The Internet is a fad!
Pretty sure it won't last! ,)
Old 06-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #17

Just thougth I would update. I bought the fuse, installed it, checked the 7 way connector and now I have power on teh pin that will charge the camper battery.

Thanks all for setting me straight.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Just thougth I would update. I bought the fuse, installed it, checked the 7 way connector and now I have power on teh pin that will charge the camper battery.

Thanks all for setting me straight.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you're all fixed up. This topic can be moved to the solved category.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Yeah I installed a fuse and relay from the bag but I must have put the relay in the wrong place. No way I'll figure out where so I will buy another fuse.

I understand that you figured out your problem, but in your TV owner's manual there will be a section that shows what fuse size/relay size and the location of each in the Fuse Box. . Some vehicles not only have a Fuse Box, but also a Power Distribution Box in addition. Both schematics of said Fuse Boxes should be in your owner's manual.

Glad you got it figured out.
sirbob is offline   Reply With Quote