Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #1

ProFlex roof repair

Anyone use roof repair this on a Rockwood Roo? Roof seems of be plywood and the roof lining vinyl (or is it rubber)?

2011 Rockwood Roo 233s
fedrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedrocker View Post
Anyone use roof repair this on a Rockwood Roo? Roof seems of be plywood and the roof lining vinyl (or is it rubber)?

2011 Rockwood Roo 233s

The roof is either EPDM (smooth rubber) or TPO (thermoplastic olefin), has a orange peel texture. Others members who are experienced with a Roo will be able to tell you which type is used.

The web site for Pro Flex RV Flexible Sealant (https://www.geocelusa.com/product/pr...xible-sealant/) , 3/4 down the page under Limitations it states:
"Do not use on traffic-bearing surfaces. Do not use on extruded polystyrene insulation sheathing (Styrofoam, etc.), TPO, or EPDM. Do not use on acrylic skylight glazing surfaces. Do not use in areas where food is processed or stored. Do not use for potable water applications. This product in colors may not be sold in the state of California. The clear product is exempt from this rule, except in SCAQMD counties."

I know Dicor makes sealants that are compatible with both types of roofing (Dicor Products | Ultra Sealant System).

If you need to replace the sealant you should remove the old, clean well and apply new for a good bond.

Eternabond (EternaBond) makes a tape that is compatible with all types of roofs, EPDM, fiberglass, metal and TPO. Eternabond has a 10 yr warranty when applied following the manufacturers directions. Many members clean their roofs and remove any loose or curled sealant, then use mineral spirits on rag to wipe down the sealant, followed by denatured alcohol on a rag. After cleaning an area about 3 inches either side of the sealant they cover the sealant with Eternabond tape and roll it down with a seam roller for a good bond. It can be applied right over the old sealant.

Some members apply eternabond before signs of damage to the sealant occurs, a few do it before their first trip with the RV.

FR sometimes uses eternabond on the top of slide-outs at the slide flange covering the screws, my trailer has it on the slides and I applied eternabond to my roof seams.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
....I know Dicor makes sealants that are compatible with both types of roofing (Dicor Products | Ultra Sealant System)....After cleaning an area about 3 inches either side of the sealant they cover the sealant with Eternabond tape and roll it down with a seam roller for a good bond. It can be applied right over the old sealant.

Some members apply eternabond before signs of damage to the sealant occurs...

X2.
-Eternabond tape for preventative and tears/cuts,
-Dicor for other roof sealing needs
-pro flex on every other place that doesn’t use butyl tape as a sealant.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #4

This is helpful. Can anyone confirm my roof material on the 2011 Roo 233s?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #5

watch this and tell the difference

https://youtu.be/KL5qJw397Rc

roof replacement? or just repair? big difference in cost

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedrocker View Post
This is helpful. Can anyone confirm my roof material on the 2011 Roo 233s?
Should be Alpha Systems TPO.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
watch this and tell the difference

https://youtu.be/KL5qJw397Rc

roof replacement? or just repair? big difference in cost

I want to repair where there are tears (scraped roof on the underside of my gutter), and I see the plywood, and I also want to replace a couple of pieces of hardware parts such as a bubble roof window over the bathroom and the manual vent door near the front bunk. Seems my roof material is TPO.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:53 AM   #8

Eternabond Tape for permanent repairs... google Eternabond on this forum and on internet... buy it on amazon...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 11-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

For small repairs you can get Eternabond tape at Camping World and many rv dealers.
I was looking at some caulking at a local dealer when I mentioned Eternabond to the sales person, she said she never heard of it. I reached down on the bottom shelf and handed her a 4" x 6' roll. She was surprised they stocked it.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #10

fedrocker,

here is information about my use of Eternabond tape...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html

hope this helps

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 11-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #11

This is great - I was told by my mobile RV repair guy that eternabond tape is great - and I’ve used it before. But I also need self leveling compound because I’m replacing some hardware on top of the RV - so that gets to my original question about the ProFlex roof repair stuff that you brush on. Seems that I can’t use it on my TPO roof. However I do have the ProFlex caulk which I think is self leveling? Does anyone know of self leveling compound that I can pick up at Home Depot or Lowe’s ? Thx all.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

All you can do is call Home Depot or Lowe's and ask if they carry it. Though my experience with those places they will not know what your talking about. With all the advise you've been given why you did not just buy it from your mobile RV repair guy. Surely, you can find a nearby rv sales dealer or CW and buy the self-leveling compound compatible with your roof.

Tags
repair, roo, roof, roof repair