Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
Engineer of Crazy Train

Propane Cover

Has anyone removed their cover and gone with naked tanks? I had a situation where I needed to borrow a tank while camping because my 5lb tank for my grill ran dry. Damn, was it a pain to get to the tanks. 2 person job. 1 to lift the bunk and the other to take off the plastic cover. Or has anyone gone to the soft vinyl covers?
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #2

The soft cover are OK in a protected environment. However, if it is exposed to weather and road conditions, it will not last very long.

I had a soft cover on a TT back in 2010 that was destroyed by wind and hail in N. Dakota. Of course the TT was destroyed also. TT and soft cover were a total loss.
2Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #3

Don't the ROOs have (2) 20# tanks on the front? What is the little 5# for (Little grill? If so carry a little (Green throw away) for the (Emergency?) when you foget to fill your little 5#er! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #4

Completely optional. My last trailer didn't have covers at all....of course, the tanks look rougher faster when they're not covered. If you think you'll run into that situation often, I'd just pull the cover before I set up and put it back on before I left. If I picture your setup right, the bunk will cover the bottles anyway.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Don't the ROOs have (2) 20# tanks on the front? What is the little 5# for (Little grill? If so carry a little (Green throw away) for the (Emergency?) when you foget to fill your little 5#er! Youroo!!
I could do that OC, but with my TV and trailer CCC, I am on a weight control diet. I want to be within reason on my weights for the weit police. I feel good being just 100 lbs over TV gvw and under all gawr.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 11-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Completely optional. My last trailer didn't have covers at all....of course, the tanks look rougher faster when they're not covered. If you think you'll run into that situation often, I'd just pull the cover before I set up and put it back on before I left. If I picture your setup right, the bunk will cover the bottles anyway.
I think that is a good plan. Of course, when it runs out, it is before the campground store is opened or after they close. I also thought of maybe hooking an extend a tee, also. Another possible idea?
Locomotive Engineer
Old 11-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #7

I've only taken 2 trips with my 21SS but after TRYING to take the cover off with the bunk ends open while it was sitting in the driveway, I decided that removing the cover BEFORE opening the bunk ends would become part of my regular set up routine. So I take it off when setting up & stash it under the Roo. Then put it back on as soon as I get hitched up to leave.

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #8

I used the vinyl covers when we had our hybrid, they made life much easier. They usually only last a season, and are cheap enough to replace each year. I used the hard plastic when storing in the winter.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote