Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #1

proper way to jack up Roo to remove tire?

I purchased a 2006 Roo with dual axles last month and this weekend is supposed to have some nice weather. So, I was thinking of looking at the bearings to see if they need to be repacked or not. Which in turn got me to thinking...what is the proper way to jack the trailer up to remove the tires. I figure I could remove the tires on either side of one axle at a time?
Any thoughts?
Thanks
wcostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #2

Good question.

I too plan on doing the same when the weather gets better.

I think you do one side at a time. I was planning on using a bottle jack to lift one side, then putting 2 jack stands under the frame. Removing both wheels on that side, doing what needs to be done, reinstall said wheels and go on to the other side.

As a side note, I wondered how I would install the spare in the event of a flat tire ... I read that if you raise one wheel the other will also go up too. So driving over a raised something would work...
Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #3

I have had a flat tire or two on trailers with independent torsion axles. My advice is to place the jack, either bottle or floor, under the axle of the wheel you are working on and then use jack stands on the frame close to the wheel. The other wheel on the same side will go up, but it will drop some as they are not tied together.

I don't have my Roo yet, perhaps there are specific jack points. I use the axle itself on my boat trailer because it is designed to carry the load in a specific area. I am not sure how the ROO frame is designed as the it is possible the jack could bend the frame or dimple it in a specific area. Did you get an owners manual when you bought it? Maybe it says where to place the jack.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
CampeRooo

I know the axles on my 2k Roo are made by Al-Ko and when I looked up their user manual, it says specifically ".... Never use the axle or any portion of the suspension to lift or support the trailer. This will damage the axle and lead to premature failure....".

If yours are made by Al-Ko as well, here's the user manual for reference - http://www.al-kousa.com/pdf/alkobrochure.pdf

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #5

Wow, that is great to know!!! I am curious, does your Roo manual list jack points on the frame?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
CampeRooo

Unfortunately, no. I received quite a bit of paperwork for just about everything that's on my Roo and there was nothing that came out directly to say, "if you have to lift the trailer, lift it from here". I've looked under the trailer several times to try and determine the best possible lifting point for me and the only thing that I can see would be to lift it from the main outer frame rail. That's probably the strongest portion of the trailer that would be the least likely to cause damage to the inside or outside.

You know, I think I might contact Forest River and get their opinion on the matter, just to see what they say. I'll post back what I find out.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #7

Just use a piece of 2 by 4 or 4 by 4 and install it on the frame close to the axle.use your jack ( floor or bottle) floor jack is preferable and raise your trailer one wheel at a time. Secure the other side with wheel stops so the trailer dont move. This is the way i do it.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

There have several threads here concerning where to lift a dual axle travel trailer. The general consensus was to use a bottle jack with wood blocking both above and below the jack between the 2 axles. Use jack stands close by for safety.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #9

Just to add a few words to my tread above. I use a 3tons and a half Michelin floor jack with a 4 inches square rubber pad that fits perfectly on the trailer I beam frame. With this I dont need any piece of wood shims because the rubber pad on the jack is 4 inches square. Of course if you are on the highway and have a flat you will certainly not carry a jack like this that weight 100 pounds.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
CampeRooo

The official word from Rockwood is:

You can use a jack placed carefully under one of the axles; it’s best to disperse the weight with a block of wood between the jack and axle. You can probably surmise by looking at the frame where the strongest connection point from axle to frame.

Another option a lot of campers use is this:
Trailer-Aid. It’s a wedge that you drive one tire onto and it lifts the other off the ground, leaving it accessible to change the tire.

Mike Anglemyer | Rockwood & Flagstaff Warranty

manglemyer@forestriverinc.com

I did respond to his email and mentioned the reference I found about NOT lifting by the axles, but I have not received a response back as of yet. So...there it is folks, straight from someone involved in warranties, (according to his area title).

Thanks

Joe

Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #11

You wonder why Rockwood couldn't simply weld a piece of steel fore and aft of each wheel to brace the frame as a jack points during the build? Did they not think folks would either experience tire issues while traveling, would need to mount new tires and wheels and do hub/bearing work over the lifespan of the trailer? My other trailers were no better in this respect either.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

I carry a 20 Ton bottle jack and lift the trailer between the axles as there is a lip on the frame there. I only lift it high enough to get the wheel off and only remove one at a time to prevent a big bad.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #13

We carry a 20 ton bottle jack too...and wood...mainly for the boat, but it works great for the camper. I have had more flats with my boat trailers than you can shake a stick at..even with good year marathons running on them.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Wanna Be Camper

I get all my flats on my 18ft flat deck and it has Marathons as well. Had 5 flats last summer so I am not overly impressed with Goodyear. Come to think of it on my 04 Ram 4x4 it had Goodyear on off road tires and I had 13 flats in 15 months with those tires, I even had a perfectly round rock go through one.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #15

I carry an EZ Jack Trailer Jack in the back of my truck. We have had to use it three times in the past 18 months and can change a flat in the rain and interstate traffic in less than 15 minutes. No need for special tools, additional jacks, etc.
camper22406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthrbelsewhere View Post

Another option a lot of campers use is this:
Trailer-Aid. It’s a wedge that you drive one tire onto and it lifts the other off the ground, leaving it accessible to change the tire.
The problem with this is... while the trailer is being held up on one wheel, you may now be violating that wheel's weight limitation (and the axle weight limit too).
----------------------------------------
DageonYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #17

How would this be any more force on the axle? Each axle carries part of the load right? So, if one applies a jack or force to lift the camper are you just not transfering the load from the hub and wheel to behind the it at the jack point? I am confused here I guess.