Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #1

PUGS

Are they really worth it? Do they help keep the tent ends warm? Cool? Best place to get them?
Kaboingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #2

Worth it. Reflect heat silver side up in the summer. And return heat silver side down in spring and fall. Also, keep nature from leavng its mark on the canvas.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
Site Team

there are literally thousands of PUGs posts here and on other hybrid forums, with at least a 95% approval.
probably even more on popup forums.

if you're handy at sewing, you can buy some of the generic 5x7 versions from numerous sources, about $13 each average and make your own. you'll need 3 to cover two tent ends.

Bob Pitney at PUGs, will even sew velcro on them, for a small price if you want to do that type of attachment.

Bob also has stated that they have tested them and turning the silver side down, in cooler temps, doesn't make any difference than leaving them silver side up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #4

We use pugs on our 233S throughout the summer months and they definitely help with keeping us cool
theengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #5

yup. Pus in summer. Labs in Winter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	labsnwinter.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	102313  
Old 03-19-2016, 02:22 AM   #6

So worth it.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:01 AM   #7

For me, it depends on where you live, and I never saw the need for them other than keeping the tent ends clean.

1- Camping season in Maine is short
2- Nights are comfortable (never too cold, never too hot)
4- They are ugly and take away the beauty of your hybrid

Boy.....I'm gonna get it !!!!
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:47 AM   #8

I don't have pugs. Never had a strong desire to get them, but I am considering doing it. Big question ..... I'm short-5'7" and old-69. Not quite as limber as I used to be. It looks like putting them on would be really hard for me. Am I right, or is it easier than I think?
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
I don't have pugs. Never had a strong desire to get them, but I am considering doing it. Big question ..... I'm short-5'7" and old-69. Not quite as limber as I used to be. It looks like putting them on would be really hard for me. Am I right, or is it easier than I think?
I have had the super high wind version now for about 7 years on a popup and 2 different hybrids. I think they are worth their weight in gold if your ever going to have a tent end in direct sun.

They can be a challenge sometimes to get on. On a popup you can leave them in place but not on a hybrid. I carry a 4' high Rubbermaid stepladder. If you can go up 3 steps of a small step ladder you shouldn't have too much of a problem with the super high wind version, as you do not need all the spring clamps. Its all attached with shock cord and clips under the bunk.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I have had the super high wind version now for about 7 years on a popup and 2 different hybrids. I think they are worth their weight in gold if your ever going to have a tent end in direct sun.

They can be a challenge sometimes to get on. On a popup you can leave them in place but not on a hybrid. I carry a 4' high Rubbermaid stepladder. If you can go up 3 steps of a small step ladder you shouldn't have too much of a problem with the super high wind version, as you do not need all the spring clamps. Its all attached with shock cord and clips under the bunk.

And make sure you get the Velcro on the gizmos to attach to the top of the bunk end. You can get a roll of Velcro with self adhesive to attach to the camper.
ROCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #11

I have had them only one season and couldn't really tell as it didn't get that hot out while I was camping last year. I am going to see if they make a difference when temps are above 90 degrees.
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #12

So are the "high wind" ones necessary?
Kaboingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #13
Canadian Member

The Super High Wind (SHW) version is not absolutely necessary but definitely will be more convenient. I had the original version on my Roo and the clips took longer to install, required a ladder to put on, and were prone to breakage. If I were to buy them again, I'd go with the SHW version. Maybe the only negative is the SHW version may need 2 people to install them (SHW users, please confirm!) whereas the originals could be done by 1 person if there isn't any wind. I always had my oldest teenage son help me get them lined up right.

The PUGs really helped to eliminate (not just cut down) condensation on the underside of the tent end roof on cool nights. I definitely recommend them for hybrids and popups.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #14

We have the super high wind version and it only takes one person to put them on. I do use a three step ladder to make it easier.
ROCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #15
Site Team

And two other PUG benefits, along with temperature control, are that they keep the canvas clean and darken the tent ends for late risers and afternoon naptime.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #16

I love em. For a single person Velcro is almost a necessity. I first got them without Velcro and the first time I tried to install them, on a windy day, they would not stay put. So I returned them and had the Velcro added for about 10 bucks.

Now, I raise the roof about a foot, and install them to the Velcro, then raise and do the rest of the setup. Just run a 1/2" of Velcro along the inside edge of the roof and then use a staple gun to help hold the Velcro. I did mine over two years ago, and just this weekend, replaced a small piece of Velcro on the trailer that had come loose.

When you push the tent out on the bedends, the also apply pressure to the pugs to keep them in place.

In desert camping, they do help to keep the inside cooler,

in forest camping they help to keep the bird and pine tree droppings off the tent ends.

And if you camp in ID/WY/UT; high wind pugs are almost a necessity.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #17

As bikendan said, don't underestimate the darkening aspect as being pretty awesome. When you are in direct sun it can get very bright, very early without the pugs.

I have never thought they looked ugly. I think they look like someone really loves to mod and maximize their camper to its full potential. I have always thought of hybrids as the Swiss Army knife of the camping world and the pugs are one more tool in the arsenal.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #18

@jking46

Not sure which model hybrid you have, but I think you should be OK with deploying the Super High Wind PUG's with the Velcro option. The Velcro is sewn to the top side of the PUG; the manufacturer will do this now, we did it locally as I had not seen the attachment method when we ordered ours. A detail is you do not use the top shock cord as the Velcro in effect replaces it, and holds the PUG the full width of the canvas.

With the Velcro attachment we leave the PUG's in place when folding up the bunk ends. Just flip the shock cords on top of the canvas and fold up. The PUG hangs down from the Velcro when unfolding; just reach in a bit to grab the shock cords to each side prior to putting the canvas bar in place.

The Velcro is below the bunk end gasket on the inside lip, and holds the top of the PUG as everything is folded up. Note we use the stock mattress and do not fold mattress covers up in the bunk end though; probably not room for the PUG if that is your practice.

As mentioned, the Super High Wind version are provided with several shock cords that are fastened together under the bunk end. I find it a bit awkward on the front bunk with the batteries and propane tanks, but it is doable easily if you have assistance to hold the bunk end up slightly. A carabiner ring holds the shock cords together in the middle of the bunk end underside.

You may need assistance to install the Velcro on the rig. I just used a step stool to climb up on the bunk end to stick the self adhesive Velcro in place. I bought three rolls and ran it the full width of the bunk end.

The third page of this very complete installation thread shows our trailer, and includes lots of details of other installs. We also made Reflectix panels for the windows.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-66758-3.html

I also found this thread helpful to understand the various types of PUG

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mos-85671.html

Bottom line, the Super High Wind PUG with Velcro is great and should suit your needs.

HTH

Stu
2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #19

They're worth every dime.

PUG's were the first item I ordered after I bought the trailer. Bob Pitney was great to deal with; and no shipping issues, even to Canada.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #20
Broken Toe

put me down as a huge supporter of the Pugs.

Just buy them.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote