Old 03-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
I have had them only one season and couldn't really tell as it didn't get that hot out while I was camping last year. I am going to see if they make a difference when temps are above 90 degrees.

JWHybrid2B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #12
So are the "high wind" ones necessary?

Kaboingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #13
Canadian Member
The Super High Wind (SHW) version is not absolutely necessary but definitely will be more convenient. I had the original version on my Roo and the clips took longer to install, required a ladder to put on, and were prone to breakage. If I were to buy them again, I'd go with the SHW version. Maybe the only negative is the SHW version may need 2 people to install them (SHW users, please confirm!) whereas the originals could be done by 1 person if there isn't any wind. I always had my oldest teenage son help me get them lined up right.

The PUGs really helped to eliminate (not just cut down) condensation on the underside of the tent end roof on cool nights. I definitely recommend them for hybrids and popups.
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #14
We have the super high wind version and it only takes one person to put them on. I do use a three step ladder to make it easier.
ROCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #15
Moderators' Assistant
And two other PUG benefits, along with temperature control, are that they keep the canvas clean and darken the tent ends for late risers and afternoon naptime.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #16
I love em. For a single person Velcro is almost a necessity. I first got them without Velcro and the first time I tried to install them, on a windy day, they would not stay put. So I returned them and had the Velcro added for about 10 bucks.

Now, I raise the roof about a foot, and install them to the Velcro, then raise and do the rest of the setup. Just run a 1/2" of Velcro along the inside edge of the roof and then use a staple gun to help hold the Velcro. I did mine over two years ago, and just this weekend, replaced a small piece of Velcro on the trailer that had come loose.

When you push the tent out on the bedends, the also apply pressure to the pugs to keep them in place.

In desert camping, they do help to keep the inside cooler,

in forest camping they help to keep the bird and pine tree droppings off the tent ends.

And if you camp in ID/WY/UT; high wind pugs are almost a necessity.
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #17
As bikendan said, don't underestimate the darkening aspect as being pretty awesome. When you are in direct sun it can get very bright, very early without the pugs.

I have never thought they looked ugly. I think they look like someone really loves to mod and maximize their camper to its full potential. I have always thought of hybrids as the Swiss Army knife of the camping world and the pugs are one more tool in the arsenal.
RPod 183g
2013 F150 FX4 EB
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #18

Not sure which model hybrid you have, but I think you should be OK with deploying the Super High Wind PUG's with the Velcro option. The Velcro is sewn to the top side of the PUG; the manufacturer will do this now, we did it locally as I had not seen the attachment method when we ordered ours. A detail is you do not use the top shock cord as the Velcro in effect replaces it, and holds the PUG the full width of the canvas.

With the Velcro attachment we leave the PUG's in place when folding up the bunk ends. Just flip the shock cords on top of the canvas and fold up. The PUG hangs down from the Velcro when unfolding; just reach in a bit to grab the shock cords to each side prior to putting the canvas bar in place.

The Velcro is below the bunk end gasket on the inside lip, and holds the top of the PUG as everything is folded up. Note we use the stock mattress and do not fold mattress covers up in the bunk end though; probably not room for the PUG if that is your practice.

As mentioned, the Super High Wind version are provided with several shock cords that are fastened together under the bunk end. I find it a bit awkward on the front bunk with the batteries and propane tanks, but it is doable easily if you have assistance to hold the bunk end up slightly. A carabiner ring holds the shock cords together in the middle of the bunk end underside.

You may need assistance to install the Velcro on the rig. I just used a step stool to climb up on the bunk end to stick the self adhesive Velcro in place. I bought three rolls and ran it the full width of the bunk end.

The third page of this very complete installation thread shows our trailer, and includes lots of details of other installs. We also made Reflectix panels for the windows.

Using velcro to attach popup gizmos.

I also found this thread helpful to understand the various types of PUG

Standard or Super high wind gizmos?

Bottom line, the Super High Wind PUG with Velcro is great and should suit your needs.

Calgary AB
2014 Roo 233S
2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #19
They're worth every dime.

PUG's were the first item I ordered after I bought the trailer. Bob Pitney was great to deal with; and no shipping issues, even to Canada.
Dave, Southern,ON

2009 GMC K1500 4x4 Crew Cab
2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #20
cogito ergo moo
put me down as a huge supporter of the Pugs.

Just buy them.

FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 2012
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss (coming soon)
Nights camped 2016 -9
Nights Reserved 077121212125 ..........My Project Blog:

Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote