Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #1

Putting up tent beds.

We've successfully camped in our 2011 Rockwood Roo 19ft but still can't fathom what we are doing wrong packing up the expandable beds. The front one in particular when up falls forward over the side couch during towing. Seems that unlike the back one there is little to keep it in place? So if a quick overnight stop is required using just the couch (& dinette) it would be a struggle to open the couch due to excessive canvas and or mattress hanging. Has to be a method, any help folding the canvas and shutting up the bed? It's frustrating!
Heacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #2

On our room the front bunk has a strap going across even then the couch will not fold down if I was thinking of using as a bed I would fold couch before closing front bunk
tking01_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

Thank you. No strap in our Roo but that may be an idea to at least keep that bed tidy. And yep, the couch is currently out pre-travel!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Site Team

first, didn't your dealer show you the proper way, during the PDI?
if not, another example of increasing bad PDI's from dealers.

go to RVW's website and in their video section, there are Roo videos that i think show you how to set up and close up the bunk ends.

are you not using the snapping straps that attach the mattress to the inside of the bunk door?
unless FR made some changes, that's how Roo/Shamrock mattresses have been done for, at least, the past 7 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #5

You still get tent and mattress in the way
tking01_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tking01_2000 View Post
You still get tent and mattress in the way
in the way of what? we've never had our canvas or mattress in the way.
the canvas is between the bunk door and the canvas. and the excess canvas simply sits on top of the sill, next to the hinge.
doesn't hang out over the sill.

here's a couple pics of the mattress strap setup and the canvas folded up with the mattress and the bunk door closed.

this is how ours is, but pics are from another Roo owner.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #7

We do snap each end mattress down and have varied the placement of the collapsed curved pole. Where do you locate yours? No, the beds were in when we collected the unit and we did comment that it looked bulky. Figured later we'd get it right and on occasions have managed neater jobs.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Site Team

we just lay the shepherd's pole on the sill and the canvas and mattress keeps it in place.

if you posted pics of what yours looks like, it might help with suggestions.

as you can see in the above pic, my fellow 23SS owner, Chuck S. has his canvas put up quite neatly. i'm not that neat.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #9

Thank you. One pic shows the rear bed and we have no problem there. Our couch is where the small unit stands in your other pic. Hence the bulk hangs out over the couch end making it hard or impossible to open unless that bed is out. Otherwise it all looks similar.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Heacham,
Its true that its a tight fit (at least on my 233s) and I have been considering a strap that would run 18" high above the bunk from wall to wall. The only reason I haven't done that is that I can manhandle the canvas out of the way when I need to and I just don't have a need to turtle that often. In fact, we've camped with tent ends in a pup and two hybrids over the years and I can count on the fingers of one hand how often I've had to turtle it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #11

We have the 2012 Roo 19 and through some trial and error, me and my wife have a system that works for us. We discovered that while I'm outside folding the front bunk up, my wife is inside the camper helping the mattress and canvas collapse "gracefully". Once the front bunk is almost closed, she comes back outside, makes sure all of the canvas is clear of the seals, and with one more push, the bunk end is closed and latched. Does your mattess fold about 2/3's of the way on one side? We keep the curved support pole inside the fold of the mattress, and snap the strap on each side. This process keeps excess canvas out away from the dinette and couch.
mikeandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #12

Thanks for pleasant answer. Again a relief to find out we're not the only ones who have had to work on packing up the front bed. Yes, our mattress folds at 2/3rds, greater part at the inside or outer edge during your well thought out plan? (Not in the camper just now so would probably be determined by mattress snap placement?).
Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #13

If I read your first post correctly, we had the same problem with our Roo 19. The canvas would flop onto the trailer no matter how carefully we packed it up. I converted my wife's idea into reality with 3 wide flat bungee cords that hold the canvas out of the way, and off of the couch, and keeps it there while travelling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5180078.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	15257  
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #14

Thank you all. I think the light bulbs are on now(!) and we're certainly going to modify. My husband is the bungee king so that is a very likely solution. Glad we visited the forum!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #15

Thanks for the nice post and pics! I was finally able to fold up properly the bunk end!

Pato
patov6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, beds